Karl’s Main System

Started my first serious Hifi with 2ci’s in the 90s.  Went away from Vandersteen briefly but kept coming back, fist with a used pair of 5s then my current Quatro Woods.  My front end amps are Pass Labs. I recently replaced my Pass XA 30.5 with the Vandersteen M5-HPA and short AQ William Tell speaker cables.  All electronics go through an AQ Niagara 5000 (front end) or Niagara 3000 (M5s and Quatros). System is vibration isolated with a combo or Vibraplane, symposium and HRS.  
because of my inability to set the system up on the cement foundation. The best living space is on the suspended floor. That’s why I’m trying out the Townshend Seismic  Platforms despite RV’s views on the subject. 🤓Sound took a quantum leap with combo of M5-HPAs, AQ cables and Niagaras.  Also learning speaker positioning wizardry from Jonathan Spelt, my Vandersteen dealer.

77859964-8D34-4A05-B5BF-E5040DD98A22.jpeg

21EA86AC-5E2D-4325-912C-4B863598BDB3.jpeg

A458F230-4D61-4775-B8C5-2FC1C9014CF0.jpeg

A7AE0908-D5D0-4C7E-BE2E-3D2F98287BD8.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks great. Love that veneer   Love Jon too. He’s just a great guy and knows his stuff. 

I put a three inch piece of granite under the Quatro’s and bought Vander feet to put under the spikes. That was magic and made a huge difference. Cheaper too lol. Keep playing. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Karlos,

Welcome. You have a very nice system and a beautiful looking room.

I am glad to find another Townshend fan. I wanted to try the Platforms under my Treo's, but didn't allow for the outrigger feet. Though all equipment I put on the Platforms seemed 'tighter'.

I am curious as to what you noticed, sound wise, when you put the Quatro's on the Townshend Platforms?

bob

Thanks @Oregon!

Both Jon and Richard said, don’t do it! But I’m a rebel. I wouldn’t have tried this if I was on a concrete foundation floor. But I’m on suspended wood floors.

@GdnrBob First thing I did was to measure the angle the speakers were tilted to on spikes.  Then I adjusted to that tilt with the spikes off on the platforms and made sure the platforms were loaded in their linear range.  Fairly straightforward.

Sound is different primarily in the way that bass is transmitted into the room.  More audible bass information, less feeling bass in the floor. I actually turned down the subs one level on the platforms.  The imaging is just as precise and the timbre of the instruments is unchanged.  Maybe a little better imaging height and depth but those were great to begin with.  Over all subtle but positive.

The other weird thing I did was to but the M5 HPAs on HRS platforms.  I consulted with them about this given the amps already have HRS footers. This was probably not worth the money.  But I get that audiophile peace of mind….

1 minute ago, Karlos said:

Sound is different primarily in the way that bass is transmitted into the room.  More audible bass information, less feeling bass in the floor. I actually turned down the subs one level on the platforms.  The imaging is just as precise and the timbre of the instruments is unchanged.  Maybe a little better imaging height and depth but those were great to begin with.  Over all subtle but positive.

Interesting.

I know Mr. V. swears by having the speakers with a definite 'grip' into the floor. But, I do know that Townshend isolation definitely enhances bass 'clarity', at least in my experiences. But, your hearing more bass is something I wouldn't have predicted.

B

It has been suggested to me by an extremely knowledgeable member of the industry that I try the Iso Pucks under my speakers. My system is on the second floor above my garage and the floor is rather springy. Currently have my Treo's on 3" granite bases. I know that RV does not like speaker isolators and I find his rationale quite compelling. Nonetheless, I have to wonder if in cases such as mine if isolators might not offer some improvement. Comments anyone?

Well that’s exactly the question?  Are there rooms that benefit from speaker isolation?

@TomicTime If the platforms messed up the midrange and treble, aka imaging and fine detail, they would have been removed.  In my room, I only noted a subtle improvement in that area. No fuzzy mess.  No wall of sound.
I don’t think the speakers cabinets are moving, even at higher db.   They are massive compared to the flexible woofers. I believe accelerometers  have documented this (admitted this is from the manufacturer). 

Anyway. I do plan to go back to spikes and see if I miss the platforms.  You and @GdnrBob should come over and help me! Vandersteen party in Ann Arbor!

So tempting to visit the center of evil Michigan…. says Buckeye….. 😉 My comment was brusque, i apologize - You have experimented, listened and reached a conclusion that works for you in your room…which is frankly the biggest variable most of us face - thankfully most Vandersteen products are world class in addressing this. I too have a suspended floor which the 7’s will move, especially IF not placed on the stiff exterior wall side of things…. i firmly believe Bedrock will improve my bass…..

Best to you in your quest for musical enjoyment !

Jim

• Like 1

I too listen in my loft (trampoline type of floor).  The granite slabs worked like a charm for me.  I noticed major positive advantages from the whole spectrum.  I value coherency, where many others don't. Again, it's how we listen and hear and we are all different.  Enjoy the music as that's the only thing that matters.