Karl’s Main System

56 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Peter, or @Richard Vandersteen, did you put anything under them?

I am finally getting some slabs from Amazon. But, my floor isn't flat. So, I wanted to level them before adding the speakers- Unless, leveling the speakers with washers would be preferable.

Bob

I am neither of them.  But, do you mean that your floor has hills, valleys, lumps, and bumps?  Or is it slanted in one direction or another?  

Different solutions to each.

• Like 1

The only thing I did was change the disks under the spikes to Vanderfeet and it made a pretty nice difference.  BK brings up the more important issues I would think.  fairly easy to figure out with a larger level.  I"m sure Tom or Richard will have info on uneven floors.

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2022 at 2:43 PM, Karlos said:

Started my first serious Hifi with 2ci’s in the 90s.  Went away from Vandersteen briefly but kept coming back, fist with a used pair of 5s then my current Quatro Woods.  My front end amps are Pass Labs. I recently replaced my Pass XA 30.5 with the Vandersteen M5-HPA and short AQ William Tell speaker cables.  All electronics go through an AQ Niagara 5000 (front end) or Niagara 3000 (M5s and Quatros). System is vibration isolated with a combo or Vibraplane, symposium and HRS.  
because of my inability to set the system up on the cement foundation. The best living space is on the suspended floor. That’s why I’m trying out the Townshend Seismic  Platforms despite RV’s views on the subject. 🤓Sound took a quantum leap with combo of M5-HPAs, AQ cables and Niagaras.  Also learning speaker positioning wizardry from Jonathan Spelt, my Vandersteen dealer.

77859964-8D34-4A05-B5BF-E5040DD98A22.jpeg

21EA86AC-5E2D-4325-912C-4B863598BDB3.jpeg

A458F230-4D61-4775-B8C5-2FC1C9014CF0.jpeg

A7AE0908-D5D0-4C7E-BE2E-3D2F98287BD8.jpeg

Don't the speakers have an outlet under the speaker for bass? Wondering if that gets closed if you put it directly on the platform as in this picture?

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum @Karlos. I too have Quatro Wood CTs with Pass electronics (XP-22 & X-250.8) and William Tell Bi-Wires. My next upgrade may also be the M5 amps as I would like to go with mono blocks and shorter speaker wires. Did you already have the Niagra 3000 with your XA-30.5s plugged into them or did you get the amps and conditioner at the same time? Just wondering if the improvement in sound is due solely to the M5s w/shorter wires.

Very nice looking system,

Bruce

Edited by Bruskie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bruskie said:

Welcome to the forum @Karlos. I too have Quatro Wood CTs with Pass electronics (XP-22 & X-250.8) and William Tell Bi-Wires. My next upgrade may also be the M5 amps as I would like to go with mono blocks and shorter speaker wires. Did you already have the Niagra 3000 with your XA-30.5s plugged into them or did you get the amps and conditioner at the same time? Just wondering if the improvement in sound is due solely to the M5s w/shorter wires.

Very nice looking system,

Bruce

^That^ is a sage line of reasoning.

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I got the Niagara 3000 on the Quatro and M5-HPA several months after replacing the Pass Xa-30.5.  The only other change with the M5-HPA was the AQ cabling.  The M5-HPA brought more life and tone to the sound without feeling colored.  That is exactly what I was trying to achieve with the amplifier change.

Still enjoying this system and saving up for Kentos.  Hopefully in 2024… If I could only stop spending money on house renovations!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/28/2022 at 4:25 PM, bkeske said:

Can’t even imagine venturing away from Vandy’s. Just sound correct, to me, and I would imagine all of us here. 3 pairs now…..don’t think I need a 4th 🤔

I'm with you Brian.  I think I've mentioned before, I have this plaque hanging on the wall to the right of my system:   

although  .............  a pair of M5's blissfully driving Quatro CT's is a lingering dream 

IMG_7315.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1