Upgrade 2C —> Treo CT, Quatro, Kento?

Holmz

9 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I remember reading this one when I was in college.  My roommate teased me as I'm Jewish and he was very Southern Baptist.  It was pretty funny stuff.  Thanks for the memory Jim.

iPads and other tablets seem to be released with upgraded models every year.
At least the old school tablets seemingly stopped at version mPad 10… (If we ignore the obvious “new releases.”)

We have most of the tablets…

On 11/21/2022 at 1:50 AM, Richard Vandersteen said:

This is because they all are based on the R & D 45 years ago that created the original Model Two:

1. minimum baffles
  2. first order crossovers
  3. one driver per frequency (except in the bass),
  4. time alignment,
  5. phase correct
  6.  the ability to pass a square wave. 
  7. (place holder)
  8. (place holder)
  9. (place holder)
  10. (place holder)

…

RV

@TomicTime do you host toga parties? 

• Like 1

I spoke ‘or the phone with the fellow at the shop yesterday.
He asked a heap of questions about my equipment (preamp and amps), and said that the Treos had more of a “British sound” than the Quatros.
(My eyebrows jumped a bit.)

But he said a demo in Feb would work.

Not to my ears.  British sound?  Means zero to me to be honest.  I had ProAc's for many years and many of the upper models.  They didnt' sound like Harbeth or Spendor or.....  I think that's such an old term to be honest.  did he share HOW?  Quatro is just a much better version of the Treo's (which are still freaking awesome speakers).

1 hour ago, ctsooner said:

Not to my ears.  British sound?  Means zero to me to be honest.  I had ProAc's for many years and many of the upper models.  They didnt' sound like Harbeth or Spendor or.....  I think that's such an old term to be honest.  did he share HOW?  Quatro is just a much better version of the Treo's (which are still freaking awesome speakers).

No Pete !… he did not share how.
But he did say the Quatros were better with the powered sub section.

I think he was also maybe trying to soften me up to upgrade my preamp to a Naim.
But I told him I was doubtful it was a weak link, and that I like it.

I’ll have to go and listen.
I asked about LP versus streaming options at the shop. Hhe said that their other shop, in a different state does vinyl, but he prefers streaming.
I’ll make sure I have my list with me of what I am familiar with.

In the mean time I am 99% towards upgrading my LPFs to the M5 version. The preamp has only has the HT on output-1 (XLR). Output-2 is a pair of RCAs, which I am now using into the PrimaLuna. But I cannot do HT bypass unless it is via XLR.

• Running the DAC into input-A (XLR)
  • TV (In the old house) going into Input-B (boob tube)
  • Cd Player, if/when it comes back, into Input-CT
    • Or I’ll gobble them up into files and use Roon 
  • I can set up a second zone in the AVR as it is a Roon end point and maybe pump that into Input-D
  • TT into input-E (E for excellent 😎 )

Nagra_Jazz_back_wb.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2022 at 8:33 PM, TomicTime said:

"I had a fellow Vandersteen  owner look at me with some doubt how i so easily and happily move between my 7 and 7 system and the Treo  CT / Sub3 system ? My answer is the heavy dose of shared DNA…. A careful read of RV’s post of basic design tenets ( think more like Ten Commandments…. RV may have come down the mountain with two laser ingraved…. wait for it… Bedrock tablets… but that’s a different movie…. ).   shows a ton of overlap and hyper critical consistency…..

Jim

SOME, but you convinced me! Wasn't doubt, but a bit of shock that the Treo CT could acquit itself so well vs a speaker (the 7) which is 5 or 6 times the price. That speaks incredibly well to the consistency of design, the common DNA, that runs through all Richard's speakers. It was a treat to hear your Sevens, for sure.  
(PS: I am still bugging my friend in Carlsbad to ring you up and come over. He's been working a lot covering sports events. Soon, I hope.)
PEACE

Edited by Patrick D
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:32 PM, TomicTime said:

no wonder…i like…fish n….chips….. hold the chips… extra tartar…. with chipotle mixed in…. please

Nothing like fried flounder and fries, for me. And Lawry's Seasoning salt, and a slice of lemon. Thankfully, there is Bigelow's here on Long Island.

Mmmm.

@Patrick D,

Your post doesn't seem to have any text below it.

Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Nothing like fried flounder and fries, for me. And Lawry's Seasoning salt, and a slice of lemon. Thankfully, there is Bigelow's here on Long Island.

Mmmm.

@Patrick D,

Your post doesn't seem to have any text below it.

Bob

99.9% sure it starts at “SOME”
Just below the signature of Jim.

(And the edit time cutoff window makes it difficult to clean them up later.)

In a few weeks I am headed to “The big smoke”, which is what local refer to as a city, rather than an encampment or village.
And will see/hear what they have there.

Edited by Holmz

Patrick is a gem of a dude for sure….next time he visits,,,be it Seattle or California we shall enjoy some Vandersteen fruits of tge common DNA i speak so passionately about……

note - latest addition in the endless quest for better sound ; Core Audio RPG style Quadratic diffuser in Lacewood. Many Vandy dealers of the Old School  have these…..

Best to all in the spirit of the music

Jim

C8199FF6-F36D-487A-BE47-94C3FBAAA1BB.jpeg

Edited by TomicTime
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well the listening session didn’t happen.
As they say, the best laid plans of mice and men… but in the end it was too late and the shop told me to come back another time.
I might try the dealer in Brisbane, as it is likely I’ll have better luck there.

• 1 month later...

I moved my ol 2C speakers to a new room yesterday… on which is on the other side of town.
The factory boxes are just about on their last legs, so they’ll need some reinforced nylon tape soon, but the bags and the boxes still worked a treat.
Just left the stands hanging out of the top.

The Klipsch speakers were moved to the other end of the room.

I eyeballed them to what looked about right which was ~30” from the wall (estimating where the tweeter face might be).
Then measured the room and got 140”.
Using the RTFM approach, I decided to pulled out the documentation… so we divided the 140” by 5 and slid them back to 28”.
…. And chucked in a little bit of toe-in. 
(Ideally one might futz with them more, but it was not sounding bad at this point, and 28” from the 30”.)

I retired home to scrub up, and we reconvened for a nice dinner and an extended listening session; listening to a variety of Classical, Rick, Rap, Jazz and Folk for maybe 7-8 hours.

They are being powered by (I think) a Yamaha AVR, and my extra length zip cords are bi-wire 😎
(I know, I know… but it still sounds pretty good,)

I still have the cotton covered speaker wires to try, but I do not want to measure once and cut them too short.

I think that the ol 2Cs presented a bit differently that the modern economy Klipsch, and I was not alone in that assessment.
It was universal in preference for sound of the 2C.

Oddly I met a rare example of the opposite sex that thought that the 2C looked cool.

Edited by Holmz
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/19/2023 at 12:37 PM, Holmz said:

I moved my ol 2C speakers to a new room yesterday… on which is on the other side of town.

Look like the 2C are headed to Canberra along with the 2W sub and RCA crossover, and a pair of VTL mono block “Compact 100” amps.

First step is across town, then they get on a plane with a kangaroo emblazoned upon the side in a couple of weeks.

IMG_1386.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow, those boxes have seen some moisture in their days...

Well they are almost 40 years old.
And did not live all the time in a good police when empty.

Is the sub in the small box?

One of the bases with the spikes, and speaker cables.

And, how did a Sugarloaf sticker get on that flatbed?😠

B

they are “Ute trays” in Australia 😎 (Like tray back ute.)

The Sugarloaf was sent sent by my sis.
The Ortovox, MoTeC, Carillo, and Seneca were acquired with gear.
The Nurberg ring one (up and left of the Scott base) is faded beyond recognition… but that and the Stevens Pass birds, and Scott were acquired at those places.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Good day from Maine. I was kicking around the forum this morning, and this thread caught my eye. I'd taken a trip from Maine to Pittsburgh, PA for a niece's wedding in November, and scheduled stops along the way. In particular, Verona NJ for a listen to a variety of Vandersteens. Johnny R. was a pleasure. I was interested in hearing Treo CTs and Quatro CTs. It was about a week before Richard was due to visit with his new electronics, but I couldn't reschedule. Both pairs of speakers were running on Ayre gear. I was impressed to the point that these became near term goal-worthy items. I liked the Quatro best of all.

I got home after the wedding, and fired up my system almost expecting to be disappointed.  I'd previously thought my 2ceSigs might have too much bass, or that I might not have as much detail as I'd like. It was great to find that nope, the 2s held their ground and gave much of the goodness I'd heard at Audio Connections. After a while listening with the system warm, I went behind the speakers and added maybe 1/3 dB to the tweeters. That was the nod to what I'd learned on the trip.

It was really striking how similar the presentations were, across different gears and rooms. Each step brought more refinement and breadth across the spectrum of listenable criteria. I'm happy for the moment, but I did put the 911 on the market. My son will need a start up loan once he lands a job, now that he's back from Tasmania.

Edited by Zarf
  • Like 2