Any Mccormack DNA 1 and Dna 0.5 owners?

• 2 weeks later...

What he said, "The much larger transformer may have an audible low level hum when you put your ear up to it. The level of this will depend largely on the quality of the AC feeding it. This is normal and should not be a concern." None of my other amps hum either!

If I put my ear on my amp there is a very slight hum. You can’t hear it all a couple of feet from the amp with no music playing. From the seating position with music playing, not even an issue. Don’t worry about it.

Great thanks for the feed back. I have some ESP reference cables coming in this week. Joe glad you are well regarded😉. I am going to go with Audio Envy unbalanced ICs most likely. I am thinking AQ for the speaker runs.

Great Huang. Glad I am well regarded somewhere. At Richard’s suggestion years ago. I have been using AQ stuff with my speakers with great results, even if the cable are now long in the tooth as they say, kinda like me.

Silly question... I’m pricing some cables Audioquest are sold in pairs correct?

Plugged in the DNA 1 heard a little hum from the transformer nothing too bad. I tell you though for a class AB design with no input or output connected the heatsink sure gets warm. 

Edited by Huang

Yes their cables are all in pairs, unless it's a single run cable like a digital or optical.  Richard's amps are the same way.  Always keep in standby. Not only is the amp always 'ready', but I think it may help the caps stay better longer.  

On 5/26/2021 at 4:38 PM, Huang said:

Silly question... I’m pricing some cables Audioquest are sold in pairs correct?

Plugged in the DNA 1 heard a little hum from the transformer nothing too bad. I tell you though for a class AB design with no input or output connected the heatsink sure gets warm. 

@Huang Both my amps have been constantly on for bulk of the year (except when we travel) and they certainly remain on the warmer side. I had to buy a maple platform to put the 1 on since the temperature on the heat sink always made me a little concerned with fire (especially since it used to sit on the carpet). Guess it might just be the nature of the circuitry/architecture. As far as the hum is concerned, the .5 is dead quiet but the 1 does go into these periods of 'humming' which is noticeable only if you a couple of inches away from the speaker. 

Am eager to get your thoughts on how it sounds.  

I am eager to hear it too. With my lax attitude to cable acquisition I hope within the next two weeks. Transformer hum is one thing I hope it does not transition to the speakers.  I might just get to hear yours before mine on the 12th🙃.

Edited by Huang

• 2 weeks later...

McCormack update, the hum is such that I need to put my ear right next to the amp to hear it. Either that means the noise is diminishing, or my hearing is going. I have cut and now will flatten the Walnut slab that amp will sit on. Bruce said the Robin Hoods will be in this week. The ESP power supply cable is powering the amp now.

Here is a question I have. I have an unmodified McCormack TLC-1 waiting for an upgrade from Steve and Pat, but I am thinking I want a little gain and a tube front for the McCormack. I have a few preamps in mind, Aesthetix (Bruce loves the Mimas), Beckard Rhumba, or Aric Audio Motherlode II. Has anyone heard any of the prospective choices, and better yet has anyone compared any of the above? Your help and or opinion/experiences are appreciated.

• Like 1

@Huang,

I am a very proud owner of Atmasphere equipment. Even his little UV-1 is a great unit.

I own the MP-1 (and the UV-1). I also own the Ayre KXR. Both preamps are very good. The Ayre seems to have a slightly better definition in the lower notes.

I also owned the MP-3, and found it to be a very good preamp.

As far as the Aesthetix, isn't the Mimas an integrated amp?

Bob

5 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

As far as the Aesthetix, isn't the Mimas an integrated amp?

Bob

It is an integrated (hybrid). Guess the preamp section must be really very good for Bruce to have suggested that as a preamp solution. 

@Huang Looks like the preamp options on your list are certainly worth checking out. Never heard of Backert or Aric Audio but would love to visit dealers who might carry them. 

Have you checked out any of the Manley’s preamps?

Can’t help you there Huang but personally, I would stick with a SS pre amp, but that’s me. Friends own Backert labs and the president will be over to hear the amp with the gravity base in a week or two and I will ask him about the Rhumba with the dna 1. 

Edited by Joe Whip

@GdnrBob, the Mimas is an integrated, but you can pick off the pre section. 

I have  not looked at Manley, and have kinda looked at Ayre and will look at Atmasphere.

@Stratocaster, Bruce likes the Mimas integrated operation, but told me he’d check it out as a pre this week. I like the ability to use it as a pre and an integrated. That way I can swap the DNA with my VK -60 in the summer and still have the integrated downstairs. 

Neither the Aric or Backert labs are sold here so, ask questions and reviews are the only options.

@Joe Whip the ESP is silent while awaiting interconnect and speaker wires. Please do ask your friend about the Backert labs.

I like the small manufacturers labor of love model after the McCormack and Vandersteen experience. I also love the participation and lack of sphincters in this group.

• Like 1

That Mimas should be well over 10k.  I still like the Ayre AX5/20 better, but the Mimas will give you an incredible listening experience.  So 'musical..  You can listen to it all day Long and never get tired.  For much more money, you can buy more detail and deeper/tighter bass, but not much else.  Those who have heard it vs the 15k on up integrated amps know this already.