Any Mccormack DNA 1 and Dna 0.5 owners?

On 6/23/2021 at 11:34 PM, TomicTime said:

Pete mine are all from Charlie…..i miss him

i am thinking some bigger stock like 5/4……

I miss him too.  I really miss AJ Conte too.  he was so kind with his time.  Just like Charlie, you walked away from a 45 minute call where you said hello, interesting and thank you.  Then you realized that you were much smarter than you were before the call. ;).  They both loved music and wanted to help others love it too.

System update and opinions requested, while at Stereo Unlimited to pickup a Asthetix Mimas for an in home demo (sounds great by the way) an as new ARC SP11 came in. That's a legendary preamp Bruce gave me dibs. From my previous auditions VTL 2.5, Mimas, Rogue  Cronus Magnum III set up as a preamp, the amp is golden. My question is does anyone have an opinion on the ARC SP11. I ask because I don't want to hamper Bruce's ability to sell it quickly. 

As you seem to be in the market for a preamp, please allow me to offer some suggestions...

I scored an Ayre KX-R (non Twenty) and haven't looked back. It is truly a masterpiece of design.

When funds are available, I will have it upgraded.

If you want tubes, then Atmasphere MP-1 would be my choice. It holds it's own against the KX-R with the latter having a 'cleaner/defined' bass. I had the MP-3 before I sent traded it in to Ralph for the MP-1. It was very, very good. Comparing the two models- the MP-1 is 'more open, and cleaner'. 

Take these words with a grain of salt, as I am not a reviewer, just a listener that likes to play around.

I wish I had experience with ARC and Aesthetics, but I don't.

Though the person you should speak to is Johnny Rutan. He knows his stuff and will give you his knowledge and information for free.

I can PM his phone number if you like.

Bob

Guys, AR makes GREAT preamps.  To me, that's their best product. I love the Ayre KXR/20 as much as nearly any preamp out there.  That's their best product IMHO.  Just a tour deforce.  Rutan will know what will sound best in your system as it's all about synergy and he's sold all the gear we are talking about (or at least nearly all, lol).

As for Aesthetix, Jim White designs and sells some of the best values in the true high end of audio.  He also upgrades the internals so you can always upgrade when needed.  Pre amp makes a bigger difference than the amp in nearly all the systems I've played with over the years.  So far, you won't go wrong with what you are looking to do.  Bruce will be able to tell you too I would think.  Not sure if that helped with anything other than throwing more at you, lol..

It's our own fault when we ask on forums for ideas, ha.!!!!  :). 

• Like 1