John's 5A system (and how I got there, more or less . . .)

Hey, I am not drinking in bar rooms with women who are not my wife nor am I crashing high priced cars I cannot afford on my way home from said bar room. So yes, I think all things considered this hi-fi madness is rather benign and endlessly entertaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the thread...and the whole collaborative gestalt of this forum...very nice....Love the room, system, sensibility, obvious love of music first, and the Dog.....the dog....miss my listening companion, so i have Fillmore playing.....rummaging thru photos of her listening with me....

2DED86EB-F719-445A-B1FB-C23496C3D7FA.jpeg

4F7412A8-1DF2-4AFF-B795-92B9FF4B943D.jpeg

Awwww. So sweet Jim. We lost all three of our Yorkies this year. Rough to say the least. One or more would always be on my lap when listening.  When the Canadian border opens up, we will adopt Baby Selene’s half brother. He too is a champion who has been a breeder. He’s retired and the breeder chose us as his forever home. Can’t wait.   Thanks for the share. 

Jim, she looks like she was a sweet pup. We have two dogs, little black Esme who you saw in the photo on on the couch, and our big white shepherd/husky mix, Kashmir. We had to say goodbye to our 14-year-old kitty, Violet, this week. It’s always hard to say goodbye. But we still have our black cat, Gigi, who manages to keep the dogs in check.

• 6 months later...

Don’t worry, the flue is  always closed. 😄

And you know, these days I am surprised and thrilled to find myself completely satisfied with and transfixed by what I’m hearing in my living room. Doesn’t matter if I’m sitting in the center sweet spot or sitting off axis as I often do. It just sounds effortless, relaxed, complete.

I have found myself re-reading Henry Rollins’s piece in Stereophile from about 10 years ago. I love this paragraph;

“Why spend so much time and money to achieve optimum playback? For me it is simple, perhaps brutally so: Life is short, and music is humankind's ultimate achievement. Michelangelo, Picasso, Einstein were all unfathomably brilliant, but I would toss any one of them off the center spot of my couch when I put on this pristine copy of Hawkwind's Doremi Fasol Latido I got a couple of months ago. As soon as that music starts, every dollar becomes well spent, time becomes precious, and there is no place I would rather be.”

https://www.stereophile.com/content/i-am-audiophile

btw, I’m listening to Craig Leon’s Anthology of Interplanetary Folk Music Vol. 2 as I type this and it’s making my day. 

8CBA8E93-6164-4702-8258-C1653033DEBB.jpeg

• Like 1

Two new Yorkie males in the house. The 11lb one is the 6 month old puppy.  the 5.5 lb is our adopted 9yo.  We are having 'spotting' wars and pissing wars around the house.  I won't let the dogs upstairs where the system is as my speakers would become a fire hydrant.  Ha....  

• Haha 1