Setting crossover value to match amp impedance

2 hours ago, Stringreen said:

I just did the work on my amp and and discovered that it has an output impedance of 100k ohms at 1000 hz, so I changed my setting to "none" which the label dictates for my 5A's.   The sound is now more bass heavy and less distinct.   I've heard this sound when the amp/cables are not broken in.....moved excessively.   I'll listen tomorrow for an improvement. ...

Stringreen,  your amp is 100K per leg so as the instructions say on the label you take the sum of both legs XLR which is 200K.  PUT IT BACK TO 200K, Please.

RV

1 hour ago, Holmz said:

What labels?
😎

2 hours ago, Stringreen said:

I just did the work on my amp and and discovered that it has an output impedance of 100k ohms at 1000 hz, so I changed my setting to "none" which the label dictates for my 5A's.   The sound is now more bass heavy and less distinct.   I've heard this sound when the amp/cables are not broken in.....moved excessively.   I'll listen tomorrow for an improvement. ...

Stringreen, set your M5-HPB to 200K because it is the sum of both legs as stated on the label on the cover.

RV

Oh crap, it seems I have created a s**t storm.

@Richard Vandersteen,

The recommendation of going up or down, I hate to say, came from Johnny Rutan. -This is for the dialing in the #2 model subs. 

As a Treo owner, I have no experience with the speakers with integrated subs, so I haven't looked at the manuals. My initial comments were prompted from @Stringreen's post that his amps might have been damaged due to not dialing in the proper crossover values.

(Though, correct me if I am wrong, but the values printed on the M5 covers are for the speakers with built in subwoofers, and not for the 2 models and Sub 3)

I apologize for any confusion I have created. It was not to be a d**k, but to prevent any possible damage to an owner's amp.

B

32 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Oh crap, it seems I have created a s**t storm.

@Richard Vandersteen,

The recommendation of going up or down, I hate to say, came from Johnny Rutan. -This is for the dialing in the #2 model subs. 

As a Treo owner, I have no experience with the speakers with integrated subs, so I haven't looked at the manuals. My initial comments were prompted from @Stringreen's post that his amps might have been damaged due to not dialing in the proper crossover values.

(Though, correct me if I am wrong, but the values printed on the M5 covers are for the speakers with built in subwoofers, and not for the 2 models and Sub 3)

I apologize for any confusion I have created. It was not to be a d**k, but to prevent any possible damage to an owner's amp.

B

No problem, we are all tiring to help.  It is best to adjust and use the M5-.... as instructed in the owners manual of the speaker or product it is being used with.  This is important because the M5-high pass has multiple roles with several products.  The up and down part is part of the optimization section for the 2W, 2Wq, SUB THREE and SUB NINE.  All products that have powered sub-woofers built in need to be on the money.

RV

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hoping I can piggy back off of this thread instead of starting another one. I’m currently trying to set up a pair of 5A’s that I just picked up a few weeks back...having some trouble setting the correct crossover value via the M5-HP.  I never got a definite answer on my amps input impedance so I decided to run through the procedure using Vandertones and a multimeter(should be more accurate this way right?)

I currently have the settings maxed out for the 470k impedance and still can’t get the exact numbers that the directions state. I adjusted my volume on track 27 until I get 1 volt on my multimeter, then go to track 30 and the closest I can get to the stated .707 is .747. Is this good enough or is this going to be an issue? I run a Van Alstine 600R amp that is a hybrid with tube input stage by the way.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DG26 said:

Hoping I can piggy back off of this thread instead of starting another one. I’m currently trying to set up a pair of 5A’s that I just picked up a few weeks back...having some trouble setting the correct crossover value via the M5-HP.  I never got a definite answer on my amps input impedance so I decided to run through the procedure using Vandertones and a multimeter(should be more accurate this way right?)

I currently have the settings maxed out for the 470k impedance and still can’t get the exact numbers that the directions state. I adjusted my volume on track 27 until I get 1 volt on my multimeter, then go to track 30 and the closest I can get to the stated .707 is .747. Is this good enough or is this going to be an issue? I run a Van Alstine 600R amp that is a hybrid with tube input stage by the way.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Your amplifier must have a very high input impedance so you should try switch's 1,2 and 3 on (1M).  RV

• Like 1

Thanks Richard, I’ll give those a shot after dinner. I guess I could’ve reached out to Frank regarding the impedance but figured going the multimeter route would guarantee that I have it correct. 

39 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Your amplifier must have a very high input impedance so you should try switch's 1,2 and 3 on (1M).  RV

Richard, are you sure it’s 1,2 and 3 for 1M? I just tried and it jumped to .96v for track 30

3 hours ago, DG26 said:

I’m noticing that my M5-HPs aren’t the same as some of the pictures I see online. The numbers dont match up per input impedance. Here’s a pic of mine.

D6592ECF-F509-4176-B4C9-0D328C15329B.thumb.jpeg.23072278d748fd082446a4e3330d82a7.jpeg

This is an old, old, old unit I forgot we made.  You need to follow the instructions on the lable and I hope someone didn't swap covers.  Do you have a 10-position switch?  If you do, try switch 3,4 and 5 or any combination of 3.4.5.6.7 or 8 because you should be able to get closer to .707v.  DO NOT USE 1,2,9 or 10 with high impedance amplifiers!  RV

8 hours ago, Stringreen said:

It is so wonderful that RV takes the time and patience for us...    never heard of such personal customer care.

That's why this is such a great forum.  It's a mix of 'Ask Richard', but with threads to easily find topics, plus all the fun forum music and bantering.  🙂 

13 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

This is an old, old, old unit I forgot we made.  You need to follow the instructions on the lable and I hope someone didn't swap covers.  Do you have a 10-position switch?  If you do, try switch 3,4 and 5 or any combination of 3.4.5.6.7 or 8 because you should be able to get closer to .707v.  DO NOT USE 1,2,9 or 10 with high impedance amplifiers!  RV

Ah, that explains the difference in switch numbers on the cover. The instructions on the label should be correct in that every time I raised the input impedance via the switch numbers on the cover, the voltage went down...just couldn’t quite get to the .707 number. I’ll try the switches you mentioned when I get off work in a few hours and let you know how it goes. 
 Thanks again Richard for taking time to help me out. It’s nice when the guy running the show cares enough to help folks out even when it’s of no necessity on his part. Much appreciated!

On 5/2/2022 at 2:58 PM, DG26 said:

Richard, are you sure it’s 1,2 and 3 for 1M? I just tried and it jumped to .96v for track 30

59 minutes ago, DG26 said:

Richard, with 3,4,and 5 on I got .691 volts. Should I keep playing with it to try to get closer? I did try 3, 4, and 6 then 7 then 8 and the voltage kept dropping.

re using a M5-HP which is single ended?  RV

This is satisfactory.  RV