Speaker cables you like/dislike with Vandersteen

On 3/15/2021 at 6:53 AM, Steve Edwards said:

Jim,  your offer is sincerely appreciated, thank you.  Though I will reach out to Bruce, I may take you up on it.  Are you in So Cal?  

My second shot is 4/8

hifimanor@gmail.com   949 439 4646

Trabuco Canyon, CA

sorry for slow response Steve, will be in touch. I am in Carlsbad but all my setup tools are in Seattle, so service will be slow..but always happy to help a fellow Vandy owner.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:15 AM, Steve Edwards said:

....My first attempt ended in my difficulty finding the base point for the SPL meter.  Since then, Richard has posted a detailed video on the entire process, including specifying the particular SPL meter to use...

Steve, can you post a link to that video? My dealer set up the Quatros and I watched what they did, but I've tinkered with the locations since then and might try my hand at fiddling with the EQ myself.

1 hour ago, ctsooner said:

I assume it's AQ wire since that's what he uses in his crossovers and in his own system.

All internal wire is sourced from several venders that draw wire directly, some of them common with AQ.  They are all solid core with high quality dielectrics of different gauges depending on frequency range.  They are copper or silver depending on which speaker.  Remember the interconnecting wire, driver and crossover components are an integral part of the design.  If one is changed the other two will need to be re-tweaked.   The input of all Vandersteen's go directly to the crossover and none of them contain any full range wire of any length because preferred wires change all the time but the voicing between the crossover and the driver's does not.   Over 40+ years of world wide travels I have been amazed how different a time and phase correct speaker like ours can sound by Audiophiles making it their own by choosing different components in the chain than I would!  Tastes matter.

RV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow, thanks for sharing Richard.  I all our conversations, I never heard you speak about the internal wiring (obvious after assumption it was AQ).  I have been told that phase and time correct speakers are by far the most difficult to design correctly.  The more I learn, the more I realize what goes into it.  I wonder if that would make sense to share in ad copy.  It's very interesting to many of us.  Appreciate the reply.

• Like 1

great video and a good reminder of the careful matching of drivers, tuning of crossovers and final chamber testing against a reference quality standard that makes a Vandersteen product so special.

i especially appreciated the conformal coating dip tank frugality - the $$$ goes into important components, craftsmanship, tooling, NC machinery , hand tuning and quality control.

Jim

• Like 2

Completely concur Jim.  I recently watched (again) the interview that John Atkinson did with Richard at a show a couple years ago.  While discussing the design phase, Richard mentioned all the testing and tweaking that goes on, during production and with the final product.  He made the point that many speaker manufacturers come up with a design they're happy with, and then only test every 10th speaker or so.

Yes, the crossover coating was particularly impressive.  It's in all the details that make "a Vandersteen product so special." 

17 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Great link!

But, what is that goop the crossover gets dunked in?

Perhaps they can do a video of how the amps get built.

If I recall, Mr. V's daughter builds them.

Bob

It's called conformal coating. It's an epoxy that protects the pc board components from vibrations. The military uses this on weapon systems.

I should have also mentioned that with solders no longer containing lead, "tin whiskers" can appear (over time) from solder joints/traces and migrate to adjoining solder joints and traces. The conformal coating will protect against this.

It has actually been more of an issue than people like to discuss.

Many telecom companies as well as government/military customers have exemptions that allow them to demand lead based solder on electronic products for reliability reasons.  That may have eased a bit of late as the process has improved, though.

There's lots of subtle issues having to do with the metallurgy of connectors and connections that often get ignored or glossed over.  Who cares about details anyway?  🙈🙉🙊

Example: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.29.8048&rep=rep1&type=pdf

If you suffer from insomnia, reading that paper should help.

• Like 2

BTW folks, this is a great article on fretting.  It all makes a ton of sense.  I didn't even know they were allowed to make lead base solder for any reason.  I also thought everyone dipped their crossovers, but in asking around, most actually don't. Again, it's the little things and the cost isn't adding that much either I don't think.

• Like 1