Seventh Heaven

You guys have inspired me.  I just placed an order for:

Niagara 3000 with Dragon power cord

Re terminate my Hurricane power cords with the 20amp connection the M5-HPA's have that will plug into the 3000

Hurricane power cords with the new proprietary connectors to fit the Quatro's

Fire balanced interconnects until the new line comes out.

(I already have a Diamond USB if I need one and will start with the top Basis power cord until I can sell it and get the Dragon source for the server/DAC/analog volume control)

I sold my WT 8' run that's the zero and bass for a 3' run of William Tell Silver with the zero and bass runs for true bi wire

• Like 1

Bob, it's a graet upgrade.  Which piece are you thinking about upgrading?  The 20 upgrade isn't an upgrade.  It's a whole new device.  They literally pull out the guts and install a totally new set of boards etc...  they only keep the controls and cabinet.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomicTime said:

A fantastic and well sorted out system. I used your agon photo to choose color for my 7’s as well. Best to you, enjoy the music.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I love the gloss black and also the gun metal grey black in the 7's.....

11 hours ago, ctsooner said:

You guys have inspired me.  I just placed an order for:

Niagara 3000 with Dragon power cord

Re terminate my Hurricane power cords with the 20amp connection the M5-HPA's have that will plug into the 3000

Hurricane power cords with the new proprietary connectors to fit the Quatro's

Fire balanced interconnects until the new line comes out.

(I already have a Diamond USB if I need one and will start with the top Basis power cord until I can sell it and get the Dragon source for the server/DAC/analog volume control)

I sold my WT 8' run that's the zero and bass for a 3' run of William Tell Silver with the zero and bass runs for true bi wire

You will hear even MORE with the 3000! 

8 hours ago, TomicTime said:

as a previous Ayre VX-R Twenty owner, I would rather have M5 amps. 

FYI,

On an email Richard said the best amps he has heard with the Sevens, besides his top of the line tube amps are the Ayre MXR-20's....

They are mostly shown with Ayre, AR , Aesthetix or Brinkmann gear.  It all depends on what flavor you love.  For my money, when spending this kind of money, I want an amp that’s built for my speaker. I also want the most neutral cable/cord and that’s AQ. I have had some of the esoteric stuff in and it’s also been very good. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

They are mostly shown with Ayre, AR , Aesthetix or Brinkmann gear.  It all depends on what flavor you love.  For my money, when spending this kind of money, I want an amp that’s built for my speaker. I also want the most neutral cable/cord and that’s AQ. I have had some of the esoteric stuff in and it’s also been very good. 

AQ makes great cable! Always on show with Vandy's at audio shows....

• Like 1

I miss talking with him.  He was so insightful and I learned so much.  RIP for sure.  Ariel shared Charlies college note book with me when I visited them.  He showed me his sketches of the diamond circuit that he basically invented while in school.  Crazy or what?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

I miss talking with him.  He was so insightful and I learned so much.  RIP for sure.  Ariel shared Charlies college note book with me when I visited them.  He showed me his sketches of the diamond circuit that he basically invented while in school.  Crazy or what?

Cool story re the book! 

I spoke to him once. I was having a problem with something. So the CEO (Charlie) gets on a Skype call with me! He even offered for me to borrow his tone arm to see if that would fix my issue. (and I live in Australia!). This is WAY above the call of duty.

Edited by darthlaker
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Been a long time between drinks and have upgraded the system quite a bit since my last posts over 3 years ago.

Now running a Brinkmann Balance TT with Ront III power supply,  acoustical systems Axiom tonearm with Lyra Atlas cart on a custom HRS M3X base.

Now using an Audio Research 3SE Phono with the new EXRD HRS rack.

My Sevens are also now using the Bedrock bases.

I LOVE the naturalness of Vandersteen speakers and treasure every minute I listen to them. SO addictive!

System details updated below and also a pic:

Vandersteen Model Seven loudspeakers with Vandersteen Bedrock bases

dCS Puccini SACD/CD player & DAC

dCS Puccini U-Clock

Brinkmann Balance turntable with acoustical systems Axiom tonearm with Brinkmann Ront III tube power supply with HRS M3X custom made Brinkmann isolation base

Lyra Atlas cartridge

Ayre KX-R Twenty Pre-amp

Audio Research REF 3SE Phono stage on top of HRS M3X isolation base

Ayre MX-R Twenty Monoblock amps

Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Filter

Melco N1ZH Network Streamer

HRS EXRD 4 shelf audio rack

Cables:

Audioquest FireBird High Power, FireBird Source, Hurricane Source and Thunder 72V DBS power cables

Audioquest FireBird Mythical Creatures 72V DBS speaker cables in bi-wire configuration (FireBird ZERO and FireBird BASS)

Audioquest Firebird balanced interconnects 144V DBS

Audioquest Diamond 72V DBS USB cable

Audioquest Wild Blue Yonder 72V DBS 75 Ohm digital cable

Audioquest Eagle Eye 72V DBS BNC 75 Ohm digital cable

Misc:

Ayre myrtle wood blocks used under selected equipment and also under interconnect and power cables to ensure they are raised above floor

Silent Running Audio "Ohio Class" Audio isoBASE custom made amp stands for the Ayre MX-R Twenty Monoblock amps

Cardas XLR and RCA caps on unused inputs/outputs

Audioquest Edison 20A AC duplex power outlet connected to dedicated 20Amp circuit

Audioquest FMJ Jitterbug’s

Furutech NCF Booster with extensions

Home Theater (in addition to above):

Denon AVR-3312 surround sound receiver

Panasonic DMR-BW750 Blu-Ray player/recorder

XBOX ONE

Pioneer PDP-LX509A Plasma monitor (ISF calibrated)

Cables:

Audioquest King Cobra balanced interconnects

Audioquest HDMI cables, rear speaker cable

IMG_1869.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Loving it. Great stuff. Please share what the AQ jitterbugs.  I’ve thought about putting them in all unused usb ports. How do you use them?  Also, I’ve loving my Waversa EXT Ref to clean up the Ethernet and HDMI connections. For my system it’s working better than the optical isolation I used to use. 

• Like 1

I can comment on the use of AQ Jitterbug  ( older version not the newer FMJ ( full metal jacket ) I use 4 of them typically in line with cables connecting drives or streamer or server in to DAC. The do seem to be quite variable on impact - for example the Aesthetix DAC  which has internal optical isolation and fantastic low jitter and noise filtering doesn’t seem to benefit much if at all. Other gear does seem to benefit. I also use them in open USB ports on my streamer / preamp. I haven’t YET tried the newer FMJ.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Loving it. Great stuff. Please share what the AQ jitterbugs.  I’ve thought about putting them in all unused usb ports. How do you use them?  Also, I’ve loving my Waversa EXT Ref to clean up the Ethernet and HDMI connections. For my system it’s working better than the optical isolation I used to use. 

4 hours ago, TomicTime said:

I can comment on the use of AQ Jitterbug  ( older version not the newer FMJ ( full metal jacket ) I use 4 of them typically in line with cables connecting drives or streamer or server in to DAC. The do seem to be quite variable on impact - for example the Aesthetix DAC  which has internal optical isolation and fantastic low jitter and noise filtering doesn’t seem to benefit much if at all. Other gear does seem to benefit. I also use them in open USB ports on my streamer / preamp. I haven’t YET tried the newer FMJ.

I haven't compared before and after use - I have them plugged into my Melco streamer. 

I listen to vinyl when I get a chance for a listen! 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...