new speakers

I was excited to be part of this group but after a number of private message from a person named Brad telling me I am not welcome here cause my system does not meet his requirements.

I was harassed to upload a pick of my system. it is changing with my new trios coming in next week.  Then messaged again telling me I don't belong here. WOW well was nice to see some systems but I didn't realize this was such an elitist society. I am sorry for joining this forum where I clearly don't belong.

May I suggest if you want this as a place that is only for owner maybe not advertise it on the front page of your site. Or a splash page where the rules are posted. I had no idea that this was only for owners. I was on the site seen the forums and thought I would register. No where in there was rules for forums or what is expected.  Also maybe a little less insulting of a PM. I don't know maybe explaining the rules of the site.  

Yes, this forum is for owners only, just like most of the other audio (and other hobby) forums.  The reason for posting a pic is because we are constantly getting spammed.  I had to clear up a spam post two days ago and it's constant.  It's not that we are elitist by ANY means and if you ever read the posts and threads, you'll see that.  This is one of the safest places in audio online to post.  We have folks who own used 1b's that they got for $100 and then many who own the top System 9's (7 Extreme with Sub 9's and the big amps (soon to be the new preamp).

The rules are posted, but most aren't going to read, them and I get that (I'm just a mod).  I know Brad very well and know that he's not trying to harass anyone, but he was most probably just trying to let you know this if for owners only and yes, we have all posted pics of our systems.  Even Richard has posted pics of his system.  It's kind of a right of passage where we all get to know each other a bit on their pic thread.  It's actually a ton of fun as we are all open minded and love hearing how others set theirs up and what electronics they are using and enjoying.  

Since you are technically an owner, I'd love for you to reconsider and just post a pic of your Treo's when you get them.  There are always two sides to a story (or more) and we have to be protective as we've had some posters come here and try to stir up trouble.  Richard pays for this forum for US.  It's not a place to sell stuff and even when folks complain about their speakers or systems, Richard himself or Brad or others will always stop by and try to help.  

I fully understand if you have no desire to stay and I know that you will leave and be upset and share that with others as that's how it works.  None of us are here to be elitist as all.  Most of us have even met many of the posters are various audio events etc...  I have personally made friends with so many of these wonderful owners and posters and it's helped me set up my system with all the great tips we get from everyone.  If given a chance, this site can become whatever you want it to be.  One can just read and stay behind the scenes, or one can post and become part of the wonderful community of music lovers (our most active threads are sharing great recordings and music that we love).

How many times in life so we get off to a terrible start with someone, only to realize they are awesome people and they become our best friends?  I'd love for that to be your ultimate experience here, but that's your call on how you take this post. 

If you decide to stay, please let us know where you ordered your Treo's and from which dealer?  Thanks for your time to read this post.  Pete

• Like 3

@Montdj the benefits of this forum is that you don’t have the opinionated morons that one encounters in other forums and start idiotic flame wars. Not to mention this forum is devout of ads and the solicitation that one has to endure on other forums.

For members it’s beneficial that there is a gatekeeper who is ensuring that there’s legitimate owners (regardless of the model, the age of the speakers, condition or the price point) in the forum and the context of conversations is relevant. Having said that, we do have conversations not related to Vandersteen gear since a lot of members have got to know each other well and meet up in person.

Lastly, it is paid and sponsored by Vandersteen and it makes sense that the intention is to talk about Vandersteen ownership. No point in investing money to discuss other speaker manufacturers.

I wouldn’t have a knee jerk reaction to the rules and would encourage you to continue participating and knowing the members. After all you are already a fan if you have purchased a pair of Treo’s.

Edited by stratocaster
  • Like 4

Welcome to the forum @Montdj. This really is the best audio forum for unpretentious and knowledgeable exchange of ideas for all things audio. We have a great group of audiophiles here who love to share ideas and inspire one another. I hope you will reconsider hanging around and getting to know us, there really is a great vibe here.

Bruce

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Montdj As a newer forum member, I understand your frustration and your feedback may result in a better communication experience for others onboarding here. 

More importantly, jump in the water, dude! There are many great people here who want to help you get the best from your new Treos and share insights on system building experience. You've got plenty to gain and nothing to lose. Give it a shot and before you know it, any friction you encountered will be a distant memory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd love to hear about the new Treos.  Or any gear swap comparison.

It takes a while to build a system, or to understand that all systems are both under constant scrutiny and intermittent celebration. This is an interesting pastime that we share.  We attempt to use common language in trying to describe systems and what we perceive as taking place. I think if you came back you'd find that you're welcome, beyond the unfortunate first impression.

Still loving my 2Ce Sigs. The latest iteration of that system has them being driven by a refurbished Pass Aleph 5. Both bits of gear might have been manufactured within a few years of each other.

Guys, in addition to making the welcome post, I also PM'd him to clear things up.  Things didn't go the way he said with Brad.  Like everyone, you need to post a picture of your steen's so we know this board is for real owners.  too much riff raff on the net who want to ruin boards for folks.  That's not who the OP is, but there was probably a bit of a comms breakdown (or maybe not as Brad is very kind when he asks folks to post their pics). It's too bad as if he really wants a place to talk Steen's, this is IT.  

I do wish he was here posting and giving it a try.  I never banned him, so I believe he can still post if he wants to.