First post here, glad to have found a place where V speakers are well appreciated.  Wonder how much toe-in you have on your Vandersteens.  I found that in my set-up, I prefer a very minimal amount of toe-in, much less than (I believe?) what is suggested in manual.  What has been your experience?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DrumTemp said:

Same here. I use very little toe-in, but get a very good/well defined center image with the toe-in I use. Also, I might add, the distance between my speakers is equal to the distance from my listening chair.

Good to hear another user with similar experience.  I do not have the system set up in equilateral triangle though, but I find that I prefer the speakers closer together than what I have seen in show photos 😅

On 8/4/2020 at 9:01 PM, VFan said:

First post here, glad to have found a place where V speakers are well appreciated.  Wonder how much toe-in you have on your Vandersteens.  I found that in my set-up, I prefer a very minimal amount of toe-in, much less than (I believe?) what is suggested in manual.  What has been your experience?

This is a good place for us Vandy devotees!  In my room, I have not observed significant changes in imaging with toe-in.  But, I have mine at a 2" toe-in; that being the distance between a string, tautly taped to the outer front corners, and the inner corner of each speaker.  My room is modest in size, so I have mine pretty close to the side walls, albeit in an equilateral triangle. With the Quatros' side firing subs, I think the toe-in lessens the reaction with those walls, resulting in tighter bass.

• 1 month later...

I'm am running a vintage pair of 2c's, mint condition. I have (2) questions:

1) my speakers are approximately 18' with minimal toe-in. I've read that moving them closer together may improve soundstage. If so, what is a good measurement for them?

2) I started out pushing my V's with a freshly recapped Sansui AU417 (65wpc) in a verticle bi-amp config. Original owners manual states anything from 40-120wpc would be fine for these speakers, also recommending verticle bi-amping. However, they seemed to be thirsty for a bit more power, lacking in "fullness". I recently ordered a Rotel RB1070 (100wpc) power amp along with matching preamp to replace the Sansui. My question is about the additional power. Would this Rotel setup be a better match with my 2c's in that they are more powerful as well as seperates? Is ther a "sweet spot" power rating that has been detrrmined for these mid 80s model speakers??

TIA for all responses. 

Cecil

1)  All rooms are different, but in MOST cases, your 2C's will sound best when the distance between the tweeters equals the distance from each tweeter to your listening position

2)  An amp's power rating is significant, but it is not the only criteria to judge any amplifier.  Generally, the more power you have, the greater headroom; but, the only true test is in the listening

Play on

• 3 weeks later...

As far as amps go, the test for headroom is also does it continue to double as you go to 4 and 2 ohms.  The reason I just got Richards HP5's is because it's made for the speaker.  It's also should sound great using an analog volume control direct from my server/DAC (close wiht the owner who makes it).  Just testing various volume controls to see which one sounds best. 

AS for amp choices for the 2- Treo's, I'd recommend auditioning the Belles gear.