Adjusting tilt with a laser level.

Good method.  Note however that your ears are not at the exact same height on each side of your head.  Especially if the doctor used forceps during your delivery, so adjustments may be in order.  😄 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 7:19 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

Use the laser to point at a "X" on a piece of cardboard in the listening position 8 inches above your ear height.  Use whatever amount of washers on the rear spike to get the laser on the X exactly.  Do the same for the other speaker which will automatically compensate for the floor problems.

Can anybody confirm that this method suggested by Richard Vandersteen, with the "X" on a piece of cardboard, works for the Treo CT? This may be only for the Kento. Thanks for any information you may have. 

27 minutes ago, Leo hi-fi said:

Can anybody confirm that this method suggested by Richard Vandersteen, with the "X" on a piece of cardboard, works for the Treo CT? This may be only for the Kento. Thanks for any information you may have.

I should work for all his speakers.

B

2 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

the ear must be 8 inches below a plane defined by the top surface of the speakers.

Thank you so much Richard, for the explanation. That is exactly what I was not getting. Concise and clear explanation. 
My Treo  CTs sound really good but once I make this adjustment of the tilt, I’m sure they will sound even better. Thanks also to TomicTime. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tom said:

Richard - Is this method valid for 3A Sig's and 1C's as well? If not, what would be the correct distance? Thanks

Well, you have stumped the 24/7/365 Vandy help line dude…. me. I think the acoustic center of those two models are different relative to the top plate, so i don’t think so……

One thing would be setup w laser measure exactly as manual describes using ear ht, distance and then use correct washers, then put laser on top of speakers and calculate offset from ear height.

Otherwise wait for wizard of Hanford to weigh in…

ha.

• Like 1

@Holmz,

35 minutes ago, Holmz said:

I find the term “Laser level” disturbing, when laser should be used.

What is disturbing? You just use a laser level placed on the top of the speaker and point it at your listening area.

37 minutes ago, Holmz said:

For 2c do I just shine a flashlight in and measure the tweeter offset?

No, this is why you use a laser level. It directs a concentrated beam of light (unlike a flashlight), so you can accurately measure the difference between the top of the speaker and the tweeter.

B

Jim is correct.  You would follow the instructions in the manual (with a plumb bob) for tilt and use the laser to make sure both are right on.  On older models one would find the sweet spot in mono (one speaker) and use the laser to get both speakers exactly the same.  I do not have exact numbers for any of our speakers referenced to the top surface other than the ones stated above.  2C speakers are 35 to 40 years old and I don't have a pair in the shop as we don't have a museum.  

RV

• Like 1

Ok Guys - I’ll read the Instructions again.

14 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

….  2C speakers are 35 to 40 years old and I don't have a pair in the shop as we don't have a museum.  

RV

It’s o’roight… I have your museum here 😉 

(Free admission to who’s ever in the area and signs the guest book.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

@Holmz,

What is disturbing? You just use a laser level placed on the top of the speaker and point it at your listening area.

No, this is why you use a laser level. It directs a concentrated beam of light (unlike a flashlight), so you can accurately measure the difference between the top of the speaker and the tweeter.

B

The Tweeter is never the focus point of an aligned array.  It varies but will be centered somewhere on the midrange.

RV 

• Like 1

Here a “laser level” is orthogonal to the direction gravity.

So I was imagining a “laser pointer” so I could lean em back. With alevel  till a level slide off and it would still shoot at like a definition of a flat earth plane.

In the manual for the 2Ce (sigs) I could not find it buys the tree says :

“Use a laser pointer on top of the Treo you just added
washers to and mark the rear wall. Use however many washers required on the second speaker so that the laser points at the mark made earlier. Both speakers should now be at the same angle. It is important that both speakers are perfectly parallel with each other.

@Holmz I have 2CE Sigs. I use the manual to set the recommended tilt. Oh course I play around with that bit, as it is based on ‘avg’ ear height, distance to the speakers, etc. I then use my laser just to make sure each/both are adjusted the same.

There is no guidance for laser height for the 1, 2’s, or 3’s that I know of.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I put a Post It on the wall in back of my listening chair, used a laser pen pointer on top of the left 5A, and put an "X" on the Post It where the laser hit the wall....I put the pen on the other speaker, raised the speaker so that the the light hit the  X.  I was careful  to mark the top of the laser pen so not to rotate it ...its position remained the same on both speakers.   

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 3:13 PM, bkeske said:

@Holmz I have 2CE Sigs. I use the manual to set the recommended tilt. Oh course I play around with that bit, as it is based on ‘avg’ ear height, distance to the speakers, etc. I then use my laser just to make sure each/both are adjusted the same.

There is no guidance for laser height for the 1, 2’s, or 3’s that I know of.

There is no need for the laser height as the instructions use a plumb bob (or string and a nut) which compensates for any floor issues.

RV 

• Like 1