Quatro Wood CT’s Never Disappoint

Next8

Just had to post.  5:00 pm listening hour on the East Coast.   Quatros are so fine. With the M5’s.   Everything sounds sublimely cool.  Could there ever be a speaker that would interest me to switch?   Maybe.   Only if I stay in the Vandersteen family.   

• Like 2

Though mine are the original cloth versions (assembled in 2008) and I'm just running them with 30 year old PSE Studio V solid state mono amps, after finally getting the 11 band bass room equalizer tuned to my room, every listening session is SO involving.  I can only imagine what the latest version being driven  by M5's sounds like   ..................   someday

I've been listening to Quatro's (and any other speaker/system I can audition at friends and stores) with so many different amps and set ups.  NOTHING has sounded as good as the M5's with them.  They were made for the speaker and you can tell.  I liken it to Apple using their own M1/2 chips instead of the off the shelf Intel chips.  It just frees it up in every area to max out what the speaker can do (although I've never heard them with the M7 amps, I bet they would scale with the better electronics).  To my ears you can tell a very  good speaker design when they scale and scale as you get better and better with what you are feeding them.

• Like 1

congrats on the Quattro with M5, RV calls it an “ unfair advantage “… i call it astute engineering that is passionate about maximizing the system, the unique system that a speaker and amplifier make up……

so happy to hear you are enjoying the music !,,,

best to you

Jim

• Like 2

Guys, I have always been about system synergy.  I have always been fascinated by active speakers.  It makes so much sense on so many levels.  It doesn't fit the narrative of those audiophiles who want to keep swapping speakers, amps etc...but it's teh best way to do it I think.  This is what Richard has been doing with introductions of amps that are optimized for his speakers.  We all hint at a preamp and hopefully we will get that soon too.   It's never a guarantee that we will, but I'm already putting money aside in case it does happen.  I want to listen to the Kento's with the M7 amps.  I have loved them with the M5's, but the 7's are still much better and should be for what he puts into them.  I couldn't afford this type of sound without Vandersteen gear as the value right there with best in audio.  Just random Wed morning thoughts.  Back to the music, lol. 

• 2 months later...

As a newbie.  I’m more fortunate to own the quatros and M5’s than I’m tech savvy.   I read the Quatro manual and it is way over my head as to the appropriate settings for the rear controls.  There may not be a simple answer and I appreciate that.   Engineering.  It is like when I bought a 1968 Mustang fastback (like Eleanor) in perfect condition.  390 engine.  I took it to some small town car shows and couldn’t answer many questions from the enthusiasts.   Well,  I love to drive it and burn some rubber.  Any advice or other reading matter on Quatro settings would be appreciated.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 4:38 AM, ctsooner said:

Guys, I have always been about system synergy.  I have always been fascinated by active speakers.  It makes so much sense on so many levels.  It doesn't fit the narrative of those audiophiles who want to keep swapping speakers, amps etc...but it's teh best way to do it I think.  This is what Richard has been doing with introductions of amps that are optimized for his speakers.  We all hint at a preamp and hopefully we will get that soon too.   It's never a guarantee that we will, but I'm already putting money aside in case it does happen.  I want to listen to the Kento's with the M7 amps.  I have loved them with the M5's, but the 7's are still much better and should be for what he puts into them.  I couldn't afford this type of sound without Vandersteen gear as the value right there with best in audio.  Just random Wed morning thoughts.  Back to the music, lol. 

Guys, the M7-HPA is not compatible with the KENTO as the high-pass frequency is 100Hz on the M7 for the SEVEN but the high-pass on the KENTO is set at 200Hz!  Sorry but I didn't think any body would spend that amount of money driving the KENTO.

RV

• Like 1

My bad Richard.  I thought it would be a variable crossover in both the amps.  I would personally just get the M5-HPA's for Kento's since that would give me money for a special preamp that is much more important than a better amp.  Thanks for the correction Richard.  

• Like 1

Next8 I am more than happy to help you better understand the EQ controls and setup , I have successfully helped people 2k miles away with this. Reach out anytime, my services are always free, although some call me an enabler, or worse… ha.

Jim

253-431-6735 West Coast USA time zone

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TomicTime said:

Pete - The angry god ( small g ) of audio  are getting back for the Sansui i sold a guy in 1977…. so i gotta make up for it here…

i am..mostly joking…..

When I lived in Italy there was a sizeable campaign that promoted Akai as the god of hifi.  I thought I would let you know in case you needed to address the gods.

• Like 1