My New Vandersteen Treo CT's

The 340i is a loaner so I’m able to explore more options. Now with the guidance of Jim on the forum I’ve been reading reviews on moon 330 and 390. Amazing reviews!!  Also realizing the add ons to 340 would be approaching what 330 and 390 give. Also learning the 20ft connecting cable to speakers might be significant in regards to loss of musical material. Love learning stuff🙏🙏

Now the discussion seems to be updating cable’s as electronics are updated. Are speakers cables as important or more than inner connect? And do treos prefer one brand over the other as long as biwired?  Is length of inner connect as important as power amp to speakers ?  Still learning while listening! 

59 minutes ago, Rich Nace said:

Now the discussion seems to be updating cable’s as electronics are updated. Are speakers cables as important or more than inner connect? And do treos prefer one brand over the other as long as biwired?  Is length of inner connect as important as power amp to speakers ?  Still learning while listening! 

You should be good by just shortening the speaker wire you already have and getting a long set of interconnects.  Going with short speaker wire (low impedance wire length definitely impacts the sound) and using long interconnects (high impedance allows moving the signal a long way with very little signal degradation) is the best way to go.  Your dealer knows how to make the Treo CT sing just remind him of your budget.

RV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You all know I love Audioquest too. 5e new stuff that Garth Powell designed. It’s just so neutral and the lower priced stuff is also great. I think short speaker cable, power cord and conditioner and then interconnects for my value proposition. I have Quatro CT,s too

• Like 1

I have a question about power strips. Currently in the rack is Linn turntable, Rega Apollo Cd, moon integrated waiting for moon pre-amp on order. JLA Sub in corner. 10 ft away will be Moon power amp on order. And between power amp Treos, 4 ft from power amp. Do I need separate power strips or can I connect power amp to the strip for the rack by extension cord?  Suggestions that won’t break the bank? 

Rich - Listening is always the acid test but with the massive power supply and effective filtering built into the Moon power amp, i would first start with that direct into wall. All the other components i would be inclined to put on a simple power strip of high quality to start - something like an Audioquest or Furman or Isotek. Then …later you can consider more elaborate power conditioning as needed by listening evaluation. In the Spring, i can lend you my Furman PF-15i and you can see IF it makes a difference. Hope this helps.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I'll be honest fam, I have not been happy with my Treos. Some of my complaints would be:

- The highs are too forward
- I could not obtain a solid center image. It would wander or just be vague
- Wishing that the mids, mid-bass, and bass were more fleshed out
- There was no -- for lack of a better term -- energy in the sound coming out. Although the highs were forward and fatiguing there was no oomph reaching my listening chair. 

Now, I've tried numerous different speaker placement positions, laser levels, string toe in trick, reading the manual, re-reading the manual. Nothing seemed to help.

Keeping in mind Richard's quote below, and in working with John Rutan, I decided to take some action. First I took down all the absorption panels from the front and side walls. Hmmm....that made a noticeable difference. I decided to take it a step further and remove the very large 1950's vintage Turkish rug from the room. Holy sh!t balls! 

Now the sound I am experiencing is nothing short of enchanting and sublime. I played a track of a woman (can't recall her name atm) playing Bach on marimba. The marimba stretched out effortlessly from wall to wall, had depth, beautiful center fill, and it sounded....NATURAL. 

I'm so glad I took the time and put in the work. At around 150 hours, I still wish the mids, mid-bass, and bass were more fleshed out at times. But I suspect I still have some break-in time to go. 

Anyway, here's a new pic. I've since removed the 2 GIK panels on the 1st reflection points. I found I don't really need them. And I've added back a much smaller area rug which catches the first reflection off the floor. 

Many thanks to Richard for making such a fine product and John for his time and support.

I'm a happy camper again!

-Joe

On 9/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

Joe, it is very common for people to overdue room treatments.  Few people realize they cause holes in the clues that help us define the acoustic space we are in (very important for a natural effect).  I start with none and slowly solve problems as they show up and use the least amount of treatment needed.  I notice most rooms end up with about half the treatments normally recommended.

RV

room.thumb.jpg.6713bdc4f279fd4d3a47f64314e7c232.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Audionoobie said:

I'll be honest fam, I have not been happy with my Treos. Some of my complaints would be:

- The highs are too forward
- I could not obtain a solid center image. It would wander or just be vague
- Wishing that the mids, mid-bass, and bass were more fleshed out
- There was no -- for lack of a better term -- energy in the sound coming out. Although the highs were forward and fatiguing there was no oomph reaching my listening chair. 

Now, I've tried numerous different speaker placement positions, laser levels, string toe in trick, reading the manual, re-reading the manual. Nothing seemed to help.

Keeping in mind Richard's quote below, and in working with John Rutan, I decided to take some action. First I took down all the absorption panels from the front and side walls. Hmmm....that made a noticeable difference. I decided to take it a step further and remove the very large 1950's vintage Turkish rug from the room. Holy sh!t balls! 

Now the sound I am experiencing is nothing short of enchanting and sublime. I played a track of a woman (can't recall her name atm) playing Bach on marimba. The marimba stretched out effortlessly from wall to wall, had depth, beautiful center fill, and it sounded....NATURAL. 

I'm so glad I took the time and put in the work. At around 150 hours, I still wish the mids, mid-bass, and bass were more fleshed out at times. But I suspect I still have some break-in time to go. 

Anyway, here's a new pic. I've since removed the 2 GIK panels on the 1st reflection points. I found I don't really need them. And I've added back a much smaller area rug which catches the first reflection off the floor. 

Many thanks to Richard for making such a fine product and John for his time and support.

I'm a happy camper again!

-Joe

room.thumb.jpg.6713bdc4f279fd4d3a47f64314e7c232.jpg

Glad John fixed you up. Looks great.  I just have t gotten into any true room treatments. It’s always a horror story about worse sound etc.  (not always I guess). Very happy for you. 

• Like 1