Busted…prior photo amps were in standby….

Jim and I have more in common than audio and loving Vandersteen's,  I think it just killed my second orange tree in the last month.  I don't have anything else living in the house and that includes ME....  well, the two Yorkies I guess, lol..and the wife, but you get the drift!  Ha...

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to audio, Richard's reference to majoring in minors or something like that should be broadcast on a megaphone.  I sometimes think audiophiles exhibit obsession, or at least imbalance more than most visible hobbies.  To an extent, some of this can produce a great dividend, viz. the great sound from our systems, but there is a fine line where the seeking is worth more than the promise.  I believe all of us know what I am talking about.  I suppose what underlies my comment is realizing the other night that for the first time in four decades of system building in the pursuit of sound at the level of what would satisfy me, I can finally genuinely say "it's good enough".  (Yeh, getting the Sub Nines was instrumental in this but doesn't matter.)  This recognition is not from a position of resignation due to falling short, for some reason, of something more I'd like to have, but rather from the immensely satisfying position of genuinely not needing more because of complete satisfaction, meaning delight, in what I have.  Interesting that the constant desire over the decades to want something better somehow disappeared on its own.  It's actually a palpable relief.  All these years, I didn't know if this point existed, but rather wondered if the pursuit of sound quality from my system was an endless road.  It is not impossible that as time goes on I may buy some additional enhancement of the sound assuming very favorable cost/benefit, but that is superfluous.  I'd be curious to know how many of my interlocutors in this thread have reached the point of its genuinely being good enough.

• Like 3

I am pretty close to calling it a day, but....

There is always one more thing that I'd like to try (like the M5 amps). 

Like you, I find my current systems to be more than adequate, and a pleasure to listen to. Any new thing is just icing on the cake.

Bob

• Like 1

What a great couple of posts. Jim, I’m so glad you love the 9’s. I just knew that was where you wanted to go at this point. If you want to update the 7’s in time, that’s great, but for now you can listen and just love. That’s the line of demarcation that I can “audiophile and music lover “.  Some audiophiles just want to collect gear and thats cool too. It’s all about having fun. Love this board as nearly all are in the former category 

Getting back to audio, Richard's reference to majoring in minors or something like that should be broadcast on a megaphone.  I sometimes think audiophiles exhibit obsession, or at least imbalance more than most visible hobbies.  To an extent, some of this can produce a great dividend, viz. the great sound from our systems, but there is a fine line where the seeking is worth more than the promise.  I believe all of us know what I am talking about.  I suppose what underlies my comment is realizing the other night that for the first time in four decades of system building in the pursuit of sound at the level of what would satisfy me, I can finally genuinely say "it's good enough".  (Yeh, getting the Sub Nines was instrumental in this but doesn't matter.)  This recognition is not from a position of resignation due to falling short, for some reason, of something more I'd like to have, but rather from the immensely satisfying position of genuinely not needing more because of complete satisfaction, meaning delight, in what I have.  Interesting that the constant desire over the decades to want something better somehow disappeared on its own.  It's actually a palpable relief.  All these years, I didn't know if this point existed, but rather wondered if the pursuit of sound quality from my system was an endless road.  It is not impossible that as time goes on I may buy some additional enhancement of the sound assuming very favorable cost/benefit, but that is superfluous.  I'd be curious to know how many of my interlocutors in this thread have reached the point of its genuinely being good enough.

Pete, I think your comment "it's all about having fun" puts an end to the discussion.  People do that in different ways.  I suppose over the years I spent so much time in lessened enjoyment of the music due to constant critical analysis of the sound that what I'm really doing here is regretting that and saying there's a better way.  That being said, I do enjoy others' comments on different equipment and its effect, like yours that got me to get the 9s.

Bob, your comment distills the issue in a clearer way:  is the icing essential?

Jim Heckman

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jim Heckman said:

Well said ^post^.

I am almost afraid to listen to new gear. But I did listen to a couple of good speakers and one was driven by a Lyngdorf TDAI and one set with a Purifi amp… both amps I like for different reasons.
Both those systems may have sounded better than my old 2Cs, but it is hard to tell in a different room.
(Actually the 27 k$ Focals were being driven by Naim in a different room from the TDAI.)

I’ve been pretty satisfied with the Audible Illusions and 2Cs, and I am trying to like the Prima Luna amp…

I could probably improve the system, but for that amount of cost I can get some more records and a few bottles of wine. Then just invite some friends over and play the music in the background while we have a feed, and play some games.
It is basically too good to improve it much,. Too good to relegate it to storage in favour of new gear.

• Like 1

Audible Illusions was a trusted standby for many years, you can wring some great music out of that beast IMO…

Also, a NAIM power amp of adequate HP would do well w Model 2 and the nice warm involving preamp. For a time i ran my Treo w 40 wpc “ mule kicker “ NAIM power amp..fun…..

This is a fun thread.  Thinking about it, I believe we all have found the speakers that we love.  The biggest bang for the buck in systems are the speakers.  I think this is why so many of us have or will keep upgrading within the Vandy line.  Most of the 'upgrade' threads are the electronics.  That's one reason I decided to just get the Vandy amps.  They just work best with the Quatro's for my system.  I'm sure I'll still do some more upgrades as I go forward, but I'm enjoying music in the same way I did when I got my first system at age 9 (dad's. bought my first at 13). 

• Like 1