Recordings I've come across and am enjoying

Boom Boom

6 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

The Ring- One set of operas I could never get through...

Bob

Yes I have the 2012 Deutsche Grammophon release called Twilight Of The Gods: The Ultimate Wagner Ring Collection. Bryn Terfel is a Welch Baritone whose voice I like. it's over 2 hours long! I remember watching great performances on PBS where they performed live at the met. I really enjoyed the performance, including the subtitles. I'll have to cue up this recording on my upgraded system sometime soon.

-Robert

00028947975328-cover-zoom.jpg

Taking a break from opera and symphonies. I've come across some artists I've enjoyed listening as an audiophile and just for personal reasons. A couple have released some recent material. They're in the singer songwriter genre. If you're looking for full impact dynamics and large symphonic swells, you might want to return to the opera. 😁 These are studio recordings, there will be mixing in the mastering. So with all those potential imperfections:

Sting has gone back to his songwriting roots. There's a good deal of fancy guitar picking.

The Aimee Mann recording is interesting. More acoustic instruments less electric guitar. I like both in her recordings. Her stuff is more in the Indie category.

00602438784554-cover-zoom.jpg

698519006615-cover-zoom.jpg

• Like 2

@TomicTime Yes, my introduction to Aimee Mann was listening to a MoFi pressing of Lost in Space on a fancy ClearAudio table with the Goldfinger cartridge. I think the electronics were SimAudio Moon (it could have been Aesthetix) and the speakers Parsifal Ovations. The sound was hypnotic. It was an excellent demo. I was hooked on the artist. I ended picking up that LP on vinyl and acquiring Bachelor #2 on MoFi vinyl. It's been a while since I've played or purchased vinyl. I've been migrating to high resolution downloads. I find the ease of navigating JRiver MediaCenter with my wireless desktop just too convenient. I finally got sound quality I wanted with digital sources.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like this new download. The accuracy of the timbre of the instruments even when played en masse is incredible. I downloaded 24 bit 192 kHz. I couldn't find Shubert's Octet in DSD. BIS sells SACDs but only offers downloads in PCM. Doesn't matter with my Bryston DAC. The other BIS recording I own is the Opera Norma. It is a difficult one to sing, but when done right, the harmonization of the female duets are spectacular. I'll upload a picture of the cover when I get around to listening to it. .

I hosted an audiophile outing last Sunday. My friend brought over his SACD of this piece. I didn't catch what label he owned. I'm glad he brought it over. It was the first outing with my upgrades. He runs different gear: KEF R3s, McIntosh SACD player, Benchmark AHB2, Crystal cables, Furman Power conditioning. Both our systems sound great but very different. He's a former musician (played Clarinet with a symphony).

7318599925974-cover-zoom.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Download, Raum from Tangerine Dream. Had no idea Edgar Froese passed away in 2015. I came across their music from soundtracks that I took notice: Thief and Risky Business. Was a fan from then on. My first recording I acquired of theirs was a Japanese press copy of Phaedra. I've acquired the soundtracks from those movies and another later recording on high res download.

802644831367-cover-zoom.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Holmz said:

“Theif” was a great movie if one likes night time photograph.
(Assuming it was the James Caan one.)

Yes, that's the one. I think it's spelled "Thief" tho. Lol. 😁

Just realized I bought both soundtracks on vinyl. I didn't have a CD player yet.

risky_business.jpg

191183_147292.jpg

• Like 1