Recordings I've come across and am enjoying

Boom Boom

On 10/23/2021 at 6:43 PM, bkeske said:

Of course. The music is what it is all about. There is little better (to me) than having my room filled and surrounded with an amazing orchestral performance, especially when you have the equipment to put you in square center of the hall. With all the instruments where they should be, right, left, fore and aft.

unless you play 2nd stand 1st violin the sound isn't as you described.   If your system is set up correctly you'll get all that you talk about with 2 channel.   To ME....quad sound is for movies only. Each to their own.

1 hour ago, ctsooner said:

I have both albums I believe. 

Yes, I have both on vinyl. Scored the Blood Sweat & Tears from a used music store. I was able to find the Tower of Power and purchase from MusicDirect. Later I downloaded the DSD version of Blood Sweat & Tears. I had the Tower of Power CD before I acquired on vinyl. I ripped it on AIF format. One of these days I'll have to break out the vinyl. I have a feeling even with my digital upgrades my SOTA rig will trounce digital reproduction. This will probably get me hooked on brushing the records off, using the disc washer SC-2 stylus cleaner and the stylast. 🙄

On 3/12/2022 at 10:12 PM, Stringreen said:

unless you play 2nd stand 1st violin the sound isn't as you described.   If your system is set up correctly you'll get all that you talk about with 2 channel.   To ME....quad sound is for movies only. Each to their own.

I was speaking to 2 channel listening. 👍

On 10/24/2021 at 6:48 PM, TomicTime said:

check out the multi format download bench at 2L Recordings the Nordic Sound

http://www.2l.no/hires/

One of the reasons I wanted to upgrade my DAC and speakers was to get the most out of digital reproduction. I have invested much in high resolution downloads and am planning to invest in more.

I came across the following link that allows me to download free samples of DXD formats:

This link provides access to free samples of higher PCM rates in 24 and 32 bit depths.

https://www.soundliaison.com/all-categories/6-compare-formats

I just verified my DAC will play all the DXD format samples in both 32 and 24 bit depths. The sample from soundliaison.com in 24BIT/352.8kHz FLAC played without issue. The 32 bit files were in WAV format.

The 2L link that TomicTime referred to, was the first one I had come across to verify if my BDA-3 would play DXD formats. It fell short of offering more DXD formats to test play. Their 24BIT/352.8kHz sample wouldn't play in my new DAC. 

Now that my upgrades are complete (for now), I've been focusing on seeking and acquiring more high rez downloaded music.

Native DSD is currently having a Jazz Genre sale. For a fee they let me download 4xDSD recordings I had previously purchased in 2xDSD. The 4xDSD versions sound better in my BDA-3. I purchased a Plus subscription. This allows me to download lower rez rates with no additional charge. This way I can download 4xDSD purchases in 2xDSD format and play these recordings in my 2nd system which can only handle 2xDSD. The subscription also provides member discounts on some recordings. The current 15% Jazz sale is on top of the member prices.

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 5:15 PM, Boom Boom said:

So sad to hear of Vangelis' passing. 😪

A couple of my favorite records from him.

My brother in law just turned me on to Aphrodite’s Child, Vangelis’s progressive rock band in the 70s.

Check out tracks from the album 666. All composed by Vangelis. Costas Ferris’s voice is amazing.

Great tracks:

- The Four Horsemen

-Babylon

- The Aegian Sea

5D572952-6689-4816-B753-6AC6033C44C1.thumb.jpeg.e9aba0b90d40fc3db0a48bcfec4d8d0a.jpeg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...