Recordings I've come across and am enjoying

Boom Boom

• 3 weeks later...

It's about this time of year when I get around to playing this. I still have my original 1/2 speed mastered Japanese Press album from JVC. Haven't played this record in ages due to sheer laziness, Lol! I got the 4xDSD version, which on my system sounds wonderful. The French Christmas Carol is my favorite track. It still gives me goosebumps behind my arms.

Cantate_Domino.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The first track always alluded me. I've always liked it, but didn't know the name of the song or the artist. When I discovered I wasn't surprised. I generally like music produced by Peter Gabriel. I have at least 2 other soundtracks that he made. Birdy I have on vinyl. This one's the Passion.

Passion.jpg

Edited by Boom Boom
Didn't realize the title of the album wasn't on the uploaded image.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ryuchi Sakamoto, a Japanese keyboardist / composer, died recently. One of his songs had eluded me. It's called Forbidden Colours, off the soundtrack of a movie called Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. David Bowie starred in the lead role. Sakomoto also starred in this, the nemesis to Bowie's character. I found it in this collection by David Sylvian who sang the vocals.

DS_VOS.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Boom Boom said:

To start a Sunday listening session:

HMU907332-1-736x736.jpg

The image is the Palazzo Ducale (the Doge's Palace) in Venice. It's partly an art gallery now. I was there last summer and saw an amazing work by Anselm Kiefer that takes up most of an entire floor. Like the rest of Venice, pictures can't do it justice.

To make this pertinent here, I'll quote John Ruskin as saying "Venice is frozen music."

• Like 2

Travel is so important to reap the inner sole.....I just came back from  India and my breath was taken as I sat on a little boat on the Ganges, watching the immolation on the close shore...huge bonfires burning ....prayers coming across the water in deep baritone voice...I placed a small handful of flowers in the water and cried.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stringreen said:

Travel is so important to reap the inner sole.....I just came back from  India and my breath was taken as I sat on a little boat on the Ganges, watching the immolation on the close shore...huge bonfires burning ....prayers coming across the water in deep baritone voice...I placed a small handful of flowers in the water and cried.

So True! Looking forward to visiting Montreal next month. I've not been.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just arrived. Simply astounding.

Hilary Hahn 
Ysaÿe - Six Sonatas For Violin Solo Op. 27

• Sonata No. 1 In G Minor
  • Sonata No. 2 In A Minor
  • Sonata No. 3 In D Minor "Ballade"
  • Sonata No. 4 In E Minor
  • Sonata No. 5 In G Major
  • Sonata No. 6 In E Major

Deutsche Grammophon 2LP gatefold, 45rpm, 2023

Hilary_Hahn_Ysaye.jpg

• Like 1

Another new arrival. 
Streamed this the other night, knew I had to have it. Arrived today.

Bernstein conducts Franck and Saint-Saëns
Saint-Saëns

• Le Rouet D'Omphale

Franck

• Symphonie D-Moll

Orchestre National De France
Deutsche Grammophon 1982

spacer.png

• Like 2

It's been quite a while since I've fired up my SOTA - Benz Rig, but have good reason to. I bought a new phono stage. I'll cover that in the Electronics and associated equipment section. Here's a picture of the SOTA in action.

20230721_201824.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dido - No Angel in 200 gram vinyl

I've always been in the camp of your sound is only as good as your source. When I resurrected the SOTA and replaced my Talisman Sapphire with its shattered stylus with my Benz Micro Series II Glider, audiophile/high end audio changed. I was exposed to power conditioning, upgrade power cables, new exotic interconnect and speaker cable designs, vibration control, and 200 gram vinyl records. These heavier discs brought out jet black backgrounds and all sorts of musical details. Yes, many are studio recordings and mixed, but the quiet background provided by the superior vinyl helped me realize what the recording engineers and musicians intended when they released these recordings. Always a thrill to listen to them.

20230721_195246.jpg

• Like 1

Enjoying John Williams (composer) conducting his compositions with the Boston Pops on these 2 Sony albums:

The Classic Spielberg Scores

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration 

When Williams conducts his own compositions, magic happens!

Edited by Reedman