Preparations

I love the Calypso.  Jim makes GREAT gear!  Thanks for sharing.  Wish I needed a new rack (have to use the family TV case (at least it's a Stickly and solidly built, lol.  I would love ot make something like that rack.  The more I look at the pics, I see details that would look even better in person! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

I love the Calypso.  Jim makes GREAT gear! 

Aesthetix is another company that I just want to buy more from.  I upgraded my Calypso to Signature, and Glenn treated me so well that he probably made several future sales with me to be determined.  I really enjoyed dealing with them.

• Like 2

Job 5. Improve the subfloor

This home is made with standard TJI joists and 3/4 inch plywood flooring.  You can feel it flex in spots and it’s super annoying. The improvement I went with was to add strips of more 3/4 inch plywood in a Green Glue sandwich from below, with prodigious amounts of wood screws. This was one of those jobs that wasn’t hard in my mind, but in reality it was much more physically PITA than expected.  

For sound isolation, I think I could have used 2 sheets of drywall and 2 layers of green glue instead of the plywood. But I was going for stiffness, not so much insulation between the living room and the crawlspace. 

So far, to me, it feels significantly stiffer and more solid in the living room. I am a little nervous the wife will notice and ask me to do the rest of the first floor too. 
2A2089F1-C8F3-4410-997F-EF0682EB5CC6.thumb.jpeg.b3060450b56d096e1a9f81fa6e1aacff.jpeg

463E3CBF-B2CF-4880-863A-B0313EEB411E.thumb.jpeg.3f7f13afdf40e40daa170ab8fd26f506.jpeg

04DEAF24-8AEA-425C-8E60-46B3C2E4BAAF.thumb.jpeg.8f65ca90c735eddbb2766d430d8aa7d2.jpeg

DF6F5161-27A2-4345-8E5A-88AC4FC51C24.thumb.jpeg.7c98f3a75c748bd68225f73ba47c075c.jpeg

2E65BD73-3E12-44FC-B58B-B0099AF6D2E3.thumb.jpeg.28a7cd171f8f388562346d1406cfca74.jpeg

4 joist bays shown above, I did 12 total. That means 400 wood screws and 12 x 28 ounce tubes of green glue.  And a whole lot of overhead work that isn’t terribly fun. 

• Like 1

I figure compared to the cost of new hardware, this was a good mod. All-in this was only a couple hundred dollars and a few hours of my time.

And if you ask my wife, a few hours of my time is worth about as much as a ham sandwich. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JonM said:

Job 5. Improve the subfloor

4 joist bays shown above, I did 12 total. That means 400 wood screws and 12 x 28 ounce tubes of green glue.  And a whole lot of overhead work that isn’t terribly fun. 

My arms are sore just looking at the photo.
Did you at least use some 2x4s to hold it up while screwing it in?

Edited by Holmz

4 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

@JonM,

Is that an insulating foam on the walls below?

I had my attic sprayed with foam and it lowered my energy consumption significantly. And, the house is much quieter.

B

Yes, it is. Before the basement flooded, the warning sign was water in crawlspace. Builder installed a sump pump. I took to next level by adding perimeter French drains that went to the pump basin, and fully encapsulated the space. It is completely sealed with closed cell spray foam and I have a dehumidifier and an exhaust fan.  The spray foam helps lock the vapor barrier to the foundation walls. With sealed crawlspace, the air quality of the interior is much better and the basement (now fixed) has much more constant temps. 

I built our last house and walls, ceilings, everything was spray foam. Fantastic quality product and worth the upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Holmz said:

My arms are sore just looking at the photo.
Did you at least use some 2x4s to hold it up while screwing it in?

No but that would have been smart, like installing sheet rock. It did only require 2 or 3 screws and I could take my arm down!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JonM said:

With sealed crawlspace, the air quality of the interior is much better and the basement (now fixed) has much more constant temps. 

Moisture is the enemy of every structure.

That is one deep sub basement. You could make a nice bomb shelter down there.- Like in that Christopher Walken movie.

B

• Like 1