What amps are you using with your Steen's?

One driver without crossover does not guarantee phase and time coherent behavior because parts of the driver can be 180 degrees out of phase compared to other parts of the cone at different frequencies.  Watch the video on this site about cone (diaphragm) breakup modes.  Step response and a waterfall plot will tell the story as I have not seen any measurements.  RV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New to the forum and using a pair of Belles Aria Monoblocks to drive my 3A Signatures, which I recently purchased from a fellow member.   I also use a McCormack DNA-1 at times. I’ve had that amp for over 25 years and it still sounds good.  Has anyone done the SMC full upgrade on an old McCormack amp?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nymarty said:

New to the forum and using a pair of Belles Aria Monoblocks to drive my 3A Signatures, which I recently purchased from a fellow member.   I also use a McCormack DNA-1 at times. I’ve had that amp for over 25 years and it still sounds good.  Has anyone done the SMC full upgrade on an old McCormack amp?

Nice. I have a pair of Belles MB-200 mono’s  driving my Treo’s. Really like the sound. David is very good at making SS sound ‘tube-like’, with a natural tone.

Never had a McCormack, so can’t speak to your question regarding those, but would bet someone here can.

Enjoy the music.

• Like 2

I had SMc Audio upgrade my DNA-1's to monoblocks and Gold + status. Unfortunately, Pat and Steve added a weird amount of impedance that I could never dial in on my M5-HPB's, so I ended up selling them. Luckily, I scored a pair of Ayre MX-R's.

IMHO, see if Belles can update those Monoblocks first. John Rutan at Audioconnection is a dealer.

Bob

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nymarty said:

I believe @Huang has done a full upgrade with all the gravity base related options. I have heard it at his place and it does sound amazing and different than the stock DNA1. I have a stock DNA 1 and a Rev A DNA1 that Steve Mccormack had built specifically for an audio reporter to review back in the day and I could immediately notice the difference with the new mods that are being offered.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Responding to the OP's amp question...

I had an Adcom GFA-555ii powering my 2Ci's for a long time (30 years).

I recently got a set of 3A Signatures. I first had an Aragon 4004 powering it, but it sounded dark. Tried my dad's old 300 watt Sunfire amp...that was grainy. Got an old Audio Research D400mkii, and after Pyramid Audio replaced that caps on the amp (one that ARC considers to be non-serviceable), that amp brought out a lot of detail I didn't hear before. I really like it paired with my LS-5 mkiii preamp.

Also, one note about the Aragon. It was severely out of spec (even after having been serviced by the approved factory techs). I recently had it rebuilt better-than-new, so I'm looking forward to hearing that with the 3A Sigs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Long time reader and this is my 2nd post. And greetings from Toronto, Canada.

I am driving my 10 yo 2CE Sig II with a modwright LS 36.5 line stage and Ayre V5XE. Music is via Lumin D2 streamer + DAC. 

I recently purchased a pair of Quatro cloth (originals?). Looking forward with my gear to a hopefully upgraded audio bliss. 

Does anyone know if there are Vandy dealers or expert enthusiasts who can help with install in Toronto? Apart from any install fees, I would love to have lunch or dinner + drink of choice. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've had my Kento Carbon speakers for a year.  I auditioned the M5-HPA, and found it wonderful in may ways.  However, I didn't like the sound of high-frequency percussion like symbols and bells.  It seemed smeared or masked.  I could've been wrong, as I was comparing it to my previous cheaper amp, which may have been adding distortions.

I just got Pass Labs X260.8 monoblocks, and they sound amazing.  They had the positives of the M5-HPA (sounding very similar), but without any negatives on high-frequency percussion.  The caveat is that it is extremely difficult to be sure of comparisons done over such a long time (and I had different speaker cables).

I'm was literally smiling during my entire first listening session with the X260.8's on the Kentos (though as others say, the amps do need to warm up to sound their best).  I can recommend these to others.

Edited by audioNeil
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had asked a while back on the forum about whether or not Atma-Sphere MA-1s would be a good match with my Quatro Woods. I trialed a pair and am very happy to report that they are a vast improvement over the Rogue M180's I was using. The amps I got are nearly 20 years old so Mk2.2 and still absolutely stunned me. This just reaffirms to me that it is really important to have zero global negative feedback amps with vandy's. Next step is to start running balanced!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RussM said:

I had asked a while back on the forum about whether or not Atma-Sphere MA-1s would be a good match with my Quatro

Sorry, I never saw this, but I also own the MA-1 (basically stock), and find them a nice change from the Ayre MXR's that I use for summer. Ralph now offers upgrades. 3.3? upgrade and Caddock resistors, to name a few.

XLR's are the way to go, when you get to this level. Short speaker cables to the Monoblocks and a long run to the preamp with XLR should have no sound degradation even with an inexpensive pair of Mogami (which is what I used with the Atma's)- An 'upgrade' to AQ ( forget the model, but it didn't have DBS boxes), didn't seem , to me, to sound significantly better. 

YMMV

Bob

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 10:08 AM, yyzian said:

Does anyone know if there are Vandy dealers or expert enthusiasts who can help with install in Toronto? Apart from any install fees, I would love to have lunch or dinner + drink of choice. 

Has anyone else seen the movie Strange Brew?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought used M7-HPAs with my Seven Mk.IIs; couldn't resist the package price.

My system has never sounded better even tho the Sevens have not been professionally aligned nor bass-tuned; my buddy and I placed them in about the same place as my other speakers, and I used full-band pink noise and a third-octave analyzer to tweak the woofer pots.

The amps and speakers sound excellent and certainly are the best-resolving combo I've ever had.  The amps are a little...fussy and slow...on turnon, and they run hot to the touch, as in I can't hold my hands on them for more than a few seconds.

I've had a pair of Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse monos* on order for a couple weeks, and I'll be trying them with the 7.2s.

* These have built-in hi-pass first-order filters at a bunch of frequencies starting at, I think, 40Hz and ending at 200Hz.

2023Jul10_DSC0591_R ch amp from rear_2000w.jpg

2023Jul10_DSC0592_L ch amp from rear_2000w.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jeffreybehr said:

I bought used M7-HPAs with my Seven Mk.IIs; couldn't resist the package price.

My system has never sounded better even tho the Sevens have not been professionally aligned nor bass-tuned; my buddy and I placed them in about the same place as my other speakers, and I used full-band pink noise and a third-octave analyzer to tweak the woofer pots.

The amps and speakers sound excellent and certainly are the best-resolving combo I've ever had.  The amps are a little...fussy and slow...on turnon, and they run hot to the touch, as in I can't hold my hands on them for more than a few seconds.

I've had a pair of Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse monos* on order for a couple weeks, and I'll be trying them with the 7.2s.

* These have built-in hi-pass first-order filters at a bunch of frequencies starting at, I think, 40Hz and ending at 200Hz.

2023Jul10_DSC0591_R ch amp from rear_2000w.jpg

2023Jul10_DSC0592_L ch amp from rear_2000w.jpg

Jeff, call me as you may have the old bias setting.  I will walk you through checking it.  RV

• Like 1