What amps are you using with your Steen's?

58 minutes ago, Joe Whip said:

Hello Huang, have you received the updated DNA-1? I hope it has the gravity base system.  I did a piece about the updating process which is linked on the SMc website. Love it with my 3A signatures.

Hi  Joe,

Did you get the gravity base jr or the complete version? The difference in price between these two options can easily pay for thr Plitron transformer upgrade. I am in the process of getting my DNA1 upgraded as well but am trying to pick options that can also help squeeze in some minor upgrades to my DAC1 deluxe.

20 hours ago, Joe Whip said:

Hello Huang, have you received the updated DNA-1? I hope it has the gravity base system.  I did a piece about the updating process which is linked on the SMc website. Love it with my 3A signatures.

I did get the gravity base, I can't wait to hear the amp.

• Like 1

In reply to the original question I have been running a VTL S-200 for the past 3 years. First with my 2ce Sigs and now, for the past month, with my 5As. 

As you might expect, the VTL was an ENORMOUS upgrade over the Yamaha MX630 and NAD 2200 that it replaced. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Steve Edwards said:

Sweet looking system Mike!  Beautiful 5s AND a sub  ............... your room might be pretty large?

Thanks Steve - the room is not overly large 20x14.  I use the 5’s for both 2 channel and HT, that’s why there’s the sub. When I go 2 channel it’s only the 5’s. The V2W sub is only for HT, which is accompanied by a VCC-1 (hidden in the media cabinet - I’m looking to upgrade to a VCC-2) and my rears are VLR woods. 

Edited by MikeZ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stratocaster said:

What’s the spacing between the speakers? They seem to be quite close.

Hi Strato,

I agree they’re prob a bit too close, at a bit over six feet between, but I’ve got WAF limitations. I just moved in and am still dialing the 5’s positioning and tilt. In fact, does anyone have any recommendations for someone who could help down in Miami?

16 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

@MikeZ,

A novice question regarding HT and 2 channel.

How do you switch between the 2 systems?

Do you need 2 preamps or does the HT switch to 2 channel?

Bob

Hi Bob,

My Rotel RSP- 1582 preamp has a 2-channel mode (source dependent) where it’s only the Vandersteen’s 5’s (no sub) which are then powered by my DNA 225.

The Rotel (at least to me) sounds great in my system, and is a good compromise for someone who needs one system for both 2-channel and HT. I’d say my mix is about 50/50. If anyone has any other suggestions I’m all ears.

For digital I’m been using Amazon HD which I stream from a dedicated laptop to my Rotel Pre-amp. 

For what it’s worth my cables are audioquest Columbia XLR from the Rotel to the McCormack and Audioquest Biwired Gibraltar’s from the DNA225 to the Vandersteen’s. All the cables have 72v dbs. 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeZ said:

Thank’s CTsooner! Do you by chance live in CT? I went to school there and had a blast 

yes, I grew up in Newington.  I went away to OK for college (OU) and then spent a lot of time in Seattle and San Diego for the Navy (driving ships).   I moved back to CT to become a full time recruiter for the Naval Reserves.  Live in Berlin now. Which school did you go to.

1 hour ago, ctsooner said:

what a stunning looking amp Jim. I love hte wood work.  

Hi Pete, photo is of latest configuration: Walnut slab with HRS Nimbus couplers between amp and slab and amp and tile. Vpi Magic brick on power transformer, Amp is plugged into a Richard Grey. IC is Audioquest Water and Speaker are shotgun bi-wire Kimber TC-12. 

Fun 😉

141E287D-ECBB-4E70-BAAF-98F82C6F7496.jpeg

• Like 1