What amps are you using with your Steen's?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello

I'm using a Simaudio Moon W5 to run my Vandersteen 2Cs. Before that I used an Acoustat TNT120. It was designed to power the Acoustat 1+1 electrostats. Over the years I got the sound of the TNT120 to improve by plugging it into a Shuynata Hydra H2 and placing vibrapods under it. Image specificity noticeably improved.

The Simaudio, I auditioned in a store which is no longer. We used AudioPhysique Virgo IIIs and compared to a Bel Canto Evo. I didn't like the Virgos with either amp. I found the sound really dry. (Usually these are paired with tube gear.)  The Moon W5 made the Bel Canto sound sterile. Then the dealer had me take it home. Uh Oh! My digital front really sucked back then so I did all my listening evals with My SOTA Sapphire turntable. WOW! The way the Moon W5 can fill the space between the speakers and make the Vandersteens disappear and project a large soundstage is astonishing. This amp reproduces stringed instruments like nobody's business! Naturally the dealer let me "take home" some power cords and conditioners. I ended up with the Shunyata Hydra H2 to work with the W5. To deal with the WBT binding posts on the W5, I got into the Transparent MusicWave Super BiWires. These upgraded Monster Powerline IIs. The latter I ran bicabled and were a good cable, but known to roll off the highs. No such colorations from the Super BiWires. The Supers lowered the noise floor which brought out more detail. The Hydra brought out even more detail and made the background quieter. Weight of the instruments through the 2Cs became more accurate.

The TNT120 I used to build a bedroom system. I used this with an old PS Audio IV preamp and acquired a pair of Vandersteen 1Cs. When the PS Audio died, I replaced it with a Linn Majik Kontrol. Shortly after the TNT 120 died. I auditioned and bought the Linn Majik 2100 amp. It grew the strengths of the Linn sound, which is articulate, airy and makes the 1Cs disappear. I compared the Linn to Bel Canto monos and a Quad Stereo amp. The two dealers I visited are no longer. The Linn got the nod. I replaced the Powerline IIs with Transparent MusicWave Plus cables. Again no treble roll off. I upgraded the Majik 2100 with the Chakra power supply upgrade. It brought out more detail / definition. When I was auditioning the 1Cs at the store, the salesman started with a Rega integrated amp. I didn't like the sound of this amp, it was too different from my home setup, not the same performance level. I asked him if there was a different amp to use. He connected the 1Cs to the Linn mini system. The sound quality was more what I was accustomed to. So I knew they paired well with Linn electronics.

My first power conditioner was a Transparent PowerBank Ultra. My Classe Preamp did not work very well with the Transparent Power cords and conditioner. The combo sounded dark and emphasized the leading edge transients.  I found other power conditioner and cables that brought out natural decay and harmonics. The PowerBank Ultra worked well with the PS Audio. I used the preamp in passive mode. The PowerBank Ultra made it sound fuller. It currently works well with my Linn Preamp. The Transparent Powerlink plus power cables worked well with my LCD TVs (and other components in the bedroom system). These have been replaced with 4k LEDs. The Powerlink pluses I gave to a friend. He's using them with his LG 4k LED TV, his home theater receiver, his Rega Planet CD player and SVS subwoofer. It's insane -same gear, different power cords noticeably improved his performance. Lol!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/10/2020 at 12:20 PM, Steve Edwards said:

I have a pair of "vintage" Professional Systems Engineering (PSE) Studio V solid state mono blocks.  Dean Klinefelter's old company; a great design and remarkable value,  even in today's dollars.

I have a pair of Studio V monos driving the bass on my Vandersteen 4As. Hardly ever see those amps any more.

Using two bridged Classe DR3 VHC monos to drive the mids and high end.  Lots of heat in summer.....

Edited by wspohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ctsooner said:

I lived the PSE gear. Dean is a master designer. 

Is he still around?
I have a dead amp (Studio 2 I think?), I would like to get repaired.

I could actually send that and the Studio 1 preamp to one of the kids if it could get fixed.

9 minutes ago, Holmz said:

Is he still around?
I have a dead amp (Studio 2 I think?), I would like to get repaired.

I could actually send that and the Studio 1 preamp to one of the kids if it could get fixed.

Dean is still around working with us at Vandersteen on our electronics.  He no longer has the time to do PSE repair work but any competent service technician should be able to service them.   Always best to use one who is familiar with the old PSE gear.

RV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  (Last heard (which was ~90-95 he was in the twin cities.)
Can he/you recommend anyone in the So Cal area?
(Really I can send them anywhere, even Minnesota if need be)

I know where the preamp in at, but I’ll need to look the shed for the power amp. I’ll probably need to throw in a few spider bombs to stun the red backs… like a SWAT team entrance.

Edited by Holmz

Hi Steve,

Prior to getting the Treos I was using a Belles Aria Integrated with my Vandersteen 1ci's. I sometimes swap out the Quicksilver linestage and use the Aria Integrated preamp outputs in the mono blocks. The Belles house sound is clean, clear, punchy, with solid bass and imaging. The Quicksilver adds a little" holographic-ness" in the sound stage and warmth, but falls well short of being too syrupy or romantic. It helps working with a great dealer like Johnny Rutan that lets me (and a lot of other people) take stuff home to demo.

Cheers!
Joe 

Edited by Audionoobie
  • Like 3