Bad Room - Great Speakers

6 minutes ago, Holmz said:

Are you planning to use a DSP?
or
To crank up the tweeters with the pot(s) on the back?

I'm going to look into what Anthem ARC can do for this case.  Probably turn up the pot(s) also.  Looking for other ideas as well.

The new MiniDSP flex is a 2 channel (IN) to 4 channel (OUT), so one would need 2 for L/C/R. (As they are the ones behind the screens). 
I would assume that the anthem may be better, but some room correction speakers do nothing above ~500 Hz.

The ~5dB in insertion lost can be absorption or reflection.

Ideally one would hope for absorption, as reflections will have it rattling around behind the screen.

Any loss in 2.0 quality from a DSP is probably going to end up as a gain in your situation… But it is uncertain.

There are some PC Audio approaches, and if the screen and speakers were in, then one could likely take a CD track and apply the correct to boost the high freqs, and do a listening test against the raw CD. That would be a cheap way to dip a toe into the water.

If it was a DSP, then I think you might want a 4(IN) to 4(OUT) to service those three channels.

I just ordered an 8 channel DAC, (Octo DAC8), so it mostly a paper and google exercise for me at the moment. Hence these are opinions and ideas more than solid facts.

9 hours ago, Holmz said:

I would assume that the anthem may be better, but some room correction speakers do nothing above ~500 Hz.

If it was a DSP,  then I think you might want a 4(IN) to 4(OUT) to service those three channels.

Hopefully Anthem Arc will help and I won't need to go down the DSP approach.  Thanks for the idea though.

18 hours ago, Bob said:

As an FYI, I was able to find the measured frequency response difference for the Stewart MicroPerf AT Screen that I have.

Defining the Difference in Perforated Screens - Stewart (stewartfilmscreen.com)

As you can see, the high frequency attenuation starts around 5K and above.  

Defining-the-Difference-in-Perf-Screens.pdf 312.87 kB · 0 downloads

Look at the picture of how the Perf-Screen are made!  In a world which knows tweeter materials, phase, time and amplitude (lesser of these as humans) matter to suggest EQ will fix this or even correct for it should buy a wagon and travel the west selling little bottles of sugar water!  For Hi-Fi this is heresy!  Most of the screen (near 90%) is reflective as it should be for movies but for music, we with knowledge need to admit this can't be so, so those with less knowledge are not fooled and spend needless money with no real return.

RV 

2 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

… to suggest EQ will fix this or even correct for it should buy a wagon and travel the west selling little bottles of sugar water! 

RV 

The best snake oils mixed in cocaine or opiates with the sugar water.

2 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Look at the picture of how the Perf-Screen are made!  In a world which knows tweeter materials, phase, time and amplitude (lesser of these as humans) matter to suggest EQ will fix this or even correct for it should buy a wagon and travel the west selling little bottles of sugar water!  For Hi-Fi this is heresy!  Most of the screen (near 90%) is reflective as it should be for movies but for music, we with knowledge need to admit this can't be so, so those with less knowledge are not fooled and spend needless money with no real return.

RV 

While all that is largely true, the OP seems like they are  totally backed into the corner as the screen needs to be there to see the video.
And it is good to hear enough of the content to understand the dialogue.

Boosting the higher frequencies with a FIR based EQ, using some mix of minimum phase, and symmetric FIR would at least give the boost with destroying the phase and timing.
(But that also assumes that the video side could offer a way to sync the lips.)

Maybe many of those sound bars are uncomfortably bright, so as to make up for people using screens? (I dunno.)

In a world of compromises, I am pretty sure I am better off using your speakers and some correction.
At least after hearing a few of the HT speakers, I concluded that I was better off building upon the 2Cs.

But then again, I am no expert.

I am coming in late responding, but I would suggest looking hard at 3 matching center channels, placed on stands (custom, see Core Audio Design for example) in front of the screen. I know a lot of theater folks like the hidden look, but I actually went the other way. I like seeing the gear.  I used 3 Triad Platinum centers this way in front of my Stewart anamorphic screen.  It would be great if you could squeeze Treos under the screen but it doesn’t look like you have vertical clearance for them. 

You can high-mount the centers just below the bottom of the screen. And, you get the freedom of moving them about to optimize the room.  You can easily lay them out in an arc pattern like RV suggests. 

1 hour ago, JonM said:

You can high-mount the centers just below the bottom of the screen. And, you get the freedom of moving them about to optimize the room.  You can easily lay them out in an arc pattern like RV suggests. 

I'm looking into that.  The 3A Sig behind the screen with the Treos outside is a good compromise.  Gives me some freedom for 2 channel as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctsooner said:

I’m keeping two channel lol. I enjoy great surround sound for movies and sports and I watch a fair amount. It just got too complicated for me lol. I’m an Old. Ha 

You’re not wrong…
For Pete’s sake, it does result in lot of chin scratching and plate rubbing.

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Holmz said:

You’re not wrong…
For Pete’s sake, it does result in lot of chin scratching and plate rubbing.

I understand what u guys are trying to do. I fully support it, but the train I got off on was the 2 channel. I remember being in Brooklyn at the premier Wilson dealer years ago. He has a system of all 5 channels of Watt Puppies (not sure which mark but it was one of the 200 or so marks they kept coming out with).  It used the lexicon electronics I bet.  It was all state of the art at the moment for multi channel.  There isn’t a to. Of cohesion with those speakers anyways, but this was a trip. How could anyone listen to that for even 30 minutes?  The owner of the store was so pissed at me for not liking what I heard. It was so out of phase. The bass was disjointed.   

since that day, I stood even trying multi channel. Some of my friends do it and love it, but each one of them has a dedicated audio room for the 2 channel set up. It’s never easy lol. 

i admire you guys who do the set ups. Would love to hear it someday