New Member System - Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT + JBL L300 Summit

I have upgraded DAC's more often than anything else in my system.  They were all upgrades and I was able to get them used/demo's and the price made sense.  The thing that the Nyquist does best for me is dealing with the ringing and timing issues (I believe this is what I was told).  All I know is that I am listening a lot more than I ever did with digital.  This is why you have to listen for a longer period of time as Jim has stated.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, Schuesmp said:

Jim -

Fascinating information from Richard and you regarding the adverse effects on the Vandersteen's performance from placing the JBL's nearby.  I will continue the practice of sliding the JBL's behind the listening couch when playing music through my Quatro Wood CT's.

Also, excellent advice on performing a "listening fatigue test" when auditioning DACs. I would certainly like to be impressed by the DAC that I ultimately select, but it matters greatly that I can listen to music for lengthy sessions without discomfort.

It is understandable…..we seek better and improvement..it’s normal human nature.. they call it Hedonic Treadmill. When i feel it strongly, i try to shift the upgrade urge into “ software “ aka more music. My brother in law, fellow audiophile has the PS Audio DAC and i believe it is quite good. 😉 best to you

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update

I was able to audition in my system the Weiss DAC501 D/A Converter. After putting it through its paces, including several swaps between the Weiss and my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, I was enthralled by the Weiss' performance. Compared to the PS Audio, the Weiss consistently delivered more enjoyable sound to my ears - awesome sound. In view of the substantial price of the Weiss, I paused for awhile after the audition.

I revisited an interesting forum thread covering a member's audition of several highly competent DACs, including among others the Weiss and two Bricasti models. In the forum thread, both Bricasti models - M3 and M1 Special Edition - received significant praise for performance attributes meaningful to me. I contacted the Bricasti dealer closest to me, not in my home state, which agreed enthusiastically to ship a M1 Special Edition to me for in-home audition. Fast forward - I recently placed an order with the Bricasti dealer.

I value great service, especially when delivered along with an outstanding product that, upon auditioning, illuminated so quickly and clearly what I desire in a DAC: the best attributes of my vinyl playback rig (Rega Planar 10 turntable + Rega Apheta 3 cartridge + MOON 610LP phono preamplifier) and digital media.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 9:01 PM, Schuesmp said:

Richard, this is all very helpful. I have significant floorspace at my disposal, so can move the JBL's a substantial distance from both the Quatro Wood CT's and the listening position. I will do this in the future.

I am fairly certain the Vandersteen dealer placed and EQ'd my Quatro's with multiple Acoustic Sciences TubeTraps and Stillpoints Apertures in the room. I will not fret about it too much, as the system performs beautifully. In the event I pursue redoing the EQ, I will follow your guidance.

I am possibly opening a can of worms, but this beauty shares the same open space as my listening room. You can see my listening couch in the background. Am I a negligent Quatro CT owner for placing a drum set anywhere near the speakers? 🤨  

Yamaha PHX and Craviotto Private Reserve Drums + Paiste Cymbals (v3-9-22).jpg

Nice Yamaha PHX!!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

As I switch back-and-forth between separate systems, one playing through Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT and the other playing through vintage JBL L300 Summit (circa 1980), I observe a similar reverence toward the lower frequencies by the respective designers. The Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT  go lower, while the JBL L300 Summit are punchier. What I enjoy thoroughly about both - the exceptionally solid foundation on which all the midrange-on-up frequencies sit in the music. The Vandersteen are superior to the JBL with respect to soundstage and imaging accuracy, as well as overall purity of sound. However, the JBL are very special in other respects - portrayal of small and large dynamic swings especially. Both are tremendous loudspeakers.

1 hour ago, Schuesmp said:

As I switch back-and-forth between separate systems, one playing through Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT and the other playing through vintage JBL L300 Summit (circa 1980), I observe a similar reverence toward the lower frequencies by the respective designers. The Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT  go lower, while the JBL L300 Summit are punchier. What I enjoy thoroughly about both - the exceptionally solid foundation on which all the midrange-on-up frequencies sit in the music. The Vandersteen are superior to the JBL with respect to soundstage and imaging accuracy, as well as overall purity of sound. However, the JBL are very special in other respects - portrayal of small and large dynamic swings especially. Both are tremendous loudspeakers.

Schuesmp, it is very difficult to compare a sealed second order woofer system to a fourth order vented woofer system because the vented system has more than twice the overhang (low frequency ringing).  This is modeled somewhat by turning the "Contour" control up to 9 or 10.  The second order system is a much more accurate representation of what is on the recording, but it isn't necessarily what some want to hear.  RV

• Thanks 2

Great looking system!  FWIW, mine  is streaming only, so choosing the right DAC was critical for me.  To my ears MSB is in a class of its own.  I have the Discrete and just ordered the Premiere.  I feel like MSB was made for Vandersteen speakers.  The sense of space, dimensionality, and clarity is stunning.   Also, like you, am looking at Kentos and wondering just how much of a jump they are above my Treo CT’s.  I imagine it’s light years….

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Schuesmp, it is very difficult to compare a sealed second order woofer system to a fourth order vented woofer system because the vented system has more than twice the overhang (low frequency ringing).  This is modeled somewhat by turning the "Contour" control up to 9 or 10.  The second order system is a much more accurate representation of what is on the recording, but it isn't necessarily what some want to hear.  RV

Thanks for the helpful insight, Richard. I think my enjoyment of the sound from the JBL L300 Summit’s is, in part, because of their flaws and reproduction inaccuracies, as well as their ability to achieve room-filling output cleanly using a moderately powered vacuum tube amplifier. Nevertheless, I would likely become frustrated with the JBL’s over time if they were my only loudspeaker, whereas the Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT’s deliver all the high-fidelity goodness practically all the time.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Sorry, scrolling back, I saw you went with Bricasti, also an excellent DAC.  Ignore me!

Thanks for commenting! My Bricasti M21 has been great. Frankly, I am relieved the search for a new DAC is well-behind me. So many excellent products out there!

I own the Brinkmann as most know. I’d kill to own the MSB DAC. It’s a killer for sure. Heard all three of their lines on various high end gear and blown away each time. Like mine, they didn’t sound digital at all. Just amazing work there 

• Thanks 1