Vinyl / Turntables

5 hours ago, atlvalet said:

I mean, it was a great experience...especially since I was coordinating things from Tulsa.

I would 100% do business with Casey again. He was great.

I feel your pain with respect to location.
And also totally relate to understand the good (and bad) dealer experiences.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:37 PM, Holmz said:

Yeah the Jelco SA250 was recommended to me just today.
A bunch of other people moaned about by SAEC we317 having a knive edge bearing, and how it can hammer on the surface of the bearing.

In my mind I picture doing something like Woody Woodpecker, but it sounds pretty good with that $500 P77i.

And I also picture the cartridge like a flea, the tail of the dog as the arm, and the dog as the bearing assembly.
So I cannot picture the flea grabbing the tail of the dog and swinging it bodily, head first,  into the cement like a WWF wrestler.

Hence I am wondering if I should be happy with the we317, or upgrade the arm?
(It is supposedly a higher mass, so I was looking at the stiffer SS carts.)

The same person said that the Hana ML is not much better than their the SL and 2x the cost…. and they also mentioned the Lyra Delios as worth looking at.

I hear that they sound pretty neutral… So I am thinking that may be good.

I am not sure what I go with as the system is pretty neutral (I think) except maybe the amp is not, and the  2Cs are not harsh-n-bright.

In any case for @ursus13: for a $500 cart, I am quite enjoying the P77i. (Almost no distressing sibilant sounds, which is usually my main turn off.)

I loved my Benz LPS.....I actually forgot why I changed

On 4/8/2022 at 12:42 PM, ursus13 said:

Hello all,

I know there are some seriously experienced vinyl users here, so I want to tap the brain-trust. I have never owned/used vinyl before and I'd love some suggestions and recommendations on how to get started. 

I don't know exactly what my budget is yet, but I'm looking at the Rega P6 and the VPI Prime Scout as top contenders. So that's the budget territory. (Totally open to other TT suggestions.)

•  Should one consider buying used, or is new the best option for a turntable?
  • I'd like to start with a setup that that I can experiment with vinyl and see if I like it, but high enough quality that represents what vinyl can do.
  • Looking for a fairly simple turntable that I won't need to fuss with too much to get it to sound it's best.
  • Thoughts on how to allocate budget between TT, cart, and pre?
  • Any recommendations for where to start, what I should consider?
    • Turntable
    • Phono pre
    • Cart
    • Accessories
    • Used vs New
    • Good retailers (I've had two people recommend Upscale Audio for TT purchase.)
    • How and where to get started with a record collection. (I currently have 30 records.)

My current system:

• Ayre AX-5 Twenty
  • Quatro CT speakers
  • Lumin U1 Mini (Tidal, Qobuz)
  • Yggy DAC

Thank you.

I have a VPI Superscoutmaster ....I changed the platter to the Classic, the arm to the new 10, with 2nd pivot, and installed the rim drive.  Harry told me  that there isn't much better.  I am very happy with it...

On 4/6/2023 at 2:05 PM, atlvalet said:

I am in Tulsa. Been here two years due to the remote worker program they set up (they pay you to move here). Kinda ready to leave, tho lol

Lived in LA for 20 years and loved it there, but not paying those kinda rents/prices again. Austin seems intriguing. May check out that next.

Feel free to ping/DM me if you come out. Not sure where I'll be, but would love to meet another Vandersteen owner.

I get out for a few games a year, but rarely to T Town.  I have a TON Of buddies there who love it. I have always enjoyed visiting though. I like a Mexican restaurant that's built right on the river.  Patio seating is awesome on nice days, lol.   I'm hoping that we move to Norman area to be near the school in the future as I have SOOOO many friends there.  

On 4/8/2023 at 6:08 PM, ctsooner said:

I get out for a few games a year, but rarely to T Town.  I have a TON Of buddies there who love it. I have always enjoyed visiting though. I like a Mexican restaurant that's built right on the river.  Patio seating is awesome on nice days, lol.   I'm hoping that we move to Norman area to be near the school in the future as I have SOOOO many friends there.  

Welp, looks like I just closed on a 4-plex here yesterday, so I'll be staying a bit LOL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has been a treat. Thanks to everyone for contributing and continuing the conversation. I’m learning a lot and using your insights to direct my research.

I would love a Basis 1400, if I could only find one. So far, I haven’t been able to track one down on the used market. Eventually I’d like a Basis 2200. Until then, I’m considering…

Clearaudio Concept Wood, Rega P6, Kuzma Stabi S (all new tables.)

I considered a used Sota, but have no experience and I’m thinking that dealer support on a new table might be a good way to go. 

A Japanese cart is of interest, and I really like the Hana and Lyra carts that I’ve heard. I’d love to hear a Koetsu.

Phono pre: I may go with something entry level for a few hundred bucks and upgrade downrange. Eventually I’d look at the PS Audio Stellar Phono, Pass Labs xp-17, Ayre P-5xe, Aesthetix Rhea are all topping the list. (I’d like a balanced phono stage.)

I’m still on the hunt for a Basis 1400. If anyone has a lead please let me know.

Thanks again, all.

• Like 1

I believe that SOTA have an entry level phono stage.

I’ve no idea how it sounds, and I am unlikely to move away from my current phono stage… but the price seem good.
SoundSmith also have a relatively ‘affordable’ phono stage.

Subjectively, I don’t believe that the phono stage is the most important piece of the chain.
(But the evidence of my upgrading, suggests a logical disconnect somewhere.)

https://sotaturntables.com/products/pyxi-phonostage/

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/peter-ledermann-is-the-artisan-smithy-of-sound-part-3-the-soundsmith-mmp3-mk-ii-phono-preamplifier/

• Like 1

Just some musings…. from my journey…. The 1400 is a super table for $ but like all used mechanical devices might need some attention… at minimum a belt and a run out check on motor pulley…. The 1400 requires some isolation to achieve potential. I recommend HRS strongly.

Exciting that Basis will be introducing an entry level table !

D4972840-9901-4327-840E-78A98598F996.jpeg

53AC94D2-95D9-4425-B80C-9FBB503D3B94.jpeg

822CAF51-5D91-4060-94F0-0E9DC6CF2F8B.jpeg

@Brad O is helping me take the two arm Denon DP-75 table to the next, NEXT sonic level with a combination of HRS base and feet….. Stay tuned.. i will post up some pics and sonic impressions as they arrive and settle in… good lord…..somebody needs to clean windows….

F755991B-36C9-46F1-B008-ACB2541717A7.jpeg

2 hours ago, TomicTime said:

Just some musings…. from my journey…. The 1400 is a super table...

The new entry table sounds very cool, it will be just shy of $13k. Called the Bravo, table and arm. More info forthcoming in the September issue of The Absolute Sound.

Very cool 1400 set up. Have you considered putting a Vector 4 on it?

I wish I could find a 1400 and refurbish it.

i don’t have the 1400 it was eventually a gift to a very good colleague and friend who now has a second career in the music business. While it’s an excellent table WITH isolation, i think a Vector 4 ( which i have heard at some length ) might not yield the best sonic return on a 1400…. just my $.02….

Most of the 1400 are going to be drilled for Rega arm geometry, i would advise sticking w something that adheres to that… there are some excellent arms w that geometry… probably most notably Origin Live.

Try putting a wanted ad in the usual used gear spots or even call a few Basis dealers to see if they have a customer trading up.

On isolation the Kuzma is excellent also, very high quality machining, with that model, you need to decide if you want a unipivot.

Best to you in your quest !

jim

it might be sage advice after a desert wildfire and flash flood. My unipivot ownership experience is somewhat dated except for a brief dalliance w the 9” Kuzma arm. Rigorously follow the setup paying particular attention to damping, lateral balancing and depending on arm wire dressing as it can VERY adversely impact tracking . I have heard some excellent Uni w Basis in lead followed by a VPI…although more and more friends w them migrate to the pivot kit / modification. Cueing if you are used to a pivoted traditional arm is an adjustment… but becomes the “ new normal “ rather quickly.

I hope this helps… combo sonics are what matter…. IMO all the Vandy dealers are serious about LP playback and can wring magic out of a wide selection of TT, Arm, Cartridge and appropriate isolation.

Best !!!!!!

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:28 PM, ursus13 said:

Anyone have experience with Clearaudio turntables, or the Kuzma Stabi S  turntable?

My ClearAudio Performance DC is dead quiet, silent. Recommended.

thumbnail_20230425_150054.jpg

Edited by Oregon
  • Like 3

Here's my new Rega Planar 10, which replaced a much-tweaked Rega RP-3 from 2015 or so. Rega's wall mount (for this and another model only) looks a little less like a  high school metal shop project than the old one did, and has dedicated pins to engage the feet. You still can't level the table with the feet, but there are screws on the wall mount that accomplish the same thing. The black box  at the right edge of the pic is the motor controller.

image.thumb.jpeg.c299c7520399bcca59d27f39b7284eab.jpegThe background buzz that appeared in the old turntable more-or-less concurrently with the upgrade to the Lyra Etna cart and Sutherland TZ Direct preamp is, regrettably, still there. Various experiments (reconfiguring so the preamp was closer to the TT, moving the cables around, )  indicated the cables between the cart and pre-amp were picking up the noise, so I slipped some tinned copper braid over the jacks and onto the cables, and wired them to the preamp's ground screw.

image.thumb.png.8b21ca97da9f6fd9958eec580fe89dbb.png

This helped, some. Rega TTs use one of the signal cables as a ground wire, I'm told, so there's no point in grounding to the table; in fact this produces big 60-cycle hum. At normal, other-people-in-the-house listening volumes, it's inaudible unless you put your ear down near a driver. It's frustrating, but the music sounds great.

• Like 3