First European owner of the 1ci+

And this folks, is how you stop misconceptions about Vandersteen products and audio in general. I get asked why I invite everyone the Vandersteen FB page and other owners I run into on the net. 

It’s the only place to get 100% correct answers to our questions. Thanks all. I learn a bit from these posts. 

9 hours ago, ctsooner said:

And this folks, is how you stop misconceptions about Vandersteen products and audio in general. I get asked why I invite everyone the Vandersteen FB page and other owners I run into on the net. 

It’s the only place to get 100% correct answers to our questions. Thanks all. I learn a bit from these posts. 

And, 

We're friendly and respectful!

You don't find that on many forums.

Bob

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 1:58 PM, ctsooner said:

How is it possible that you learn anything from this hahaha, I mean you are a long time Vandersteen aficianado. But always nice to hear this. 

I have never registered myself at any audio/hifi forum because of the hostility towards other peoples opinion or gear they are really happy with. If somebody shows their system being proud of it and enjoying it every listening minute, and than some guy replies with a really nasty unconstructive comment that it sucks balls and that he/she should change this and that, what use is that to me? 

ASR, is notorious for that. Anyway rant is over, enjoy your system! 

As stated I paid double to anyone in the USA for my 1ci+, so you would expect that I could have bought a speaker that has more value per buck than the model 1's. I'm not so certain anymore, this speaker will not leave my system anytime soon. 
There is just something so sweet/open about the time-aligned/phase coherent design.  I feel that the price needed to improve upon the model 1's will be double of what I paid for it. 

• Like 1

That's so great to hear!  Happy that you are loving your music and system!  

I have to share, we've only had 1 poster who came, made some not so kind posts and was asked to leave (not really asked, but I gave him a couple of warnings and he couldn't help himself).  For any forum, that's an amazing thing.  To me, it really does show how nice Vandersteen owners are and that we really do love the music as much as the gear.  We have listeners from every segment of society as you can have for gear in these price ranges and to be helpful for all, ti's a great thing and I personally want to thank everyone.  

Having MS, I spend a TON of time on the net.  It's either OU sport, MS Society stuff or audio.  This is the best community, other than my private OU sports board I'm part of (fewer posters than here).  That one is family as I personally know all of them and have met all in person, except for 3 I believe.  I haven't met most on here, but would love to eventually.   

I think Rutan is having Richard visit this coming Spring. If so, we can get the dates and start a thread (we should have an on going thread for visits only and that cna even include those who want to meet up at any of the Vandersteen dealers to hang out and buy gear (they are a business after all, lol).  

Thanks Fam! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ldejong said:

I have never registered myself at any audio/hifi forum because of the hostility towards other peoples opinion or gear they are really happy with. If somebody shows their system being proud of it and enjoying it every listening minute, and than some guy replies with a really nasty unconstructive comment that it sucks balls and that he/she should change this and that, what use is that to me?

I have been to your country and I have also heard those speakers.

I suppose that I could try the insults if you want… but it might come across as being a bit disingenuous.
😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

I think this would be a great thread.

Bob

Maybe we start in the Netherlands? 😎

12 hours ago, ldejong said:

As stated I paid double to anyone in the USA for my 1ci+, so you would expect that I could have bought a speaker that has more value per buck than the model 1's. I'm not so certain anymore, this speaker will not leave my system anytime soon. 
There is just something so sweet/open about the time-aligned/phase coherent design.

There are some great speakers coming out of Europe, and particularly with the active speakers.
The upper end of the Vandys, and even the subwoofer integration with the 2W, are somewhat along these lines with power in the subs being integrated with the crossover box.

This active stuff was not generally available “back in the day”.
I am not sure if the new stuff is better, but they are interesting... and like the Vandy approach it is well thought out and integrated.

Doing all the systems engineering to integrate things seamlessly is a lot of work.
It seems like it would be more difficult to choose speakers and systems today, and much of the time/phase correct is legacy passive brands or newer active designs.

I feel that the price needed to improve upon the model 1's will be double of what I paid for it. 

Probably double the price is pretty accurate… maybe more.

I heard a few speakers recently that I think could be an upgrade.
But they were also super expensive, and I am not sure if they were better or just were in a better room.
(And more work seemed to be in the cabinet than in the drivers and crossover… so they looked way nicer than they sounded.)
They did sound good, just not obviously way better, but they seemed like they would easily be listenable.

Just for $30k (AUD) or $20k (Euro) they were not obviously way better.
And that cuts quickly into the rest of the budget when one also needs a musical source and preamp (amps).

I think I need to start on some room treatments.

Maybe I’ll slot that in between bicycle rides, once the drumming in my ears subsides from the mountains and hills (i.e. the slight rises in the road). 🥲
It is probably easier to ride a bicycle in Holland, particularly on the cobblestones.

I'm not so certain anymore, this speaker will not leave my system anytime soon. 

^Good idea^… I am pretty sure that it should last you decades.

Many people seem to upgrade 10+ years later and use the smaller speakers for a second room, or in a HT set up.
But with rooms being smaller in Europe, those should be able to be in your system “for the long haul”.
(They are not likely holding things back. IME.)

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Holmz said:

Maybe we start in the Netherlands? 😎

There are some great speakers coming out of Europe, and particularly with the active speakers.
The upper end of the Vandys, and even the subwoofer integration with the 2W, are somewhat along these lines with power in the subs being integrated with the crossover box.

This active stuff was not generally available “back in the day”.
I am not sure if the new stuff is better, but they are interesting... and like the Vandy approach it is well thought out and integrated.

Doing all the systems engineering to integrate things seamlessly is a lot of work.
It seems like it would be more difficult to choose speakers and systems today, and much of the time/phase correct is legacy passive brands or newer active designs.

Probably double the price is pretty accurate… maybe more.

I heard a few speakers recently that I think could be an upgrade.
But they were also super expensive, and I am not sure if they were better or just were in a better room.
(And more work seemed to be in the cabinet than in the drivers and crossover… so they looked way nicer than they sounded.)
They did sound good, just not obviously way better, but they seemed like they would easily be listenable.

Just for $30k (AUD) or $20k (Euro) they were not obviously way better.
And that cuts quickly into the rest of the budget when one also needs a musical source and preamp (amps).

I think I need to start on some room treatments.

Maybe I’ll slot that in between bicycle rides, once the drumming in my ears subsides from the mountains and hills (i.e. the slight rises in the road). 🥲
It is probably easier to ride a bicycle in Holland, particularly on the cobblestones.

^Good idea^… I am pretty sure that it should last you decades.

Many people seem to upgrade 10+ years later and use the smaller speakers for a second room, or in a HT set up.
But with rooms being smaller in Europe, those should be able to be in your system “for the long haul”.
(They are not likely holding things back. IME.)

If you want to persue room treatment, this guide worked for me: 
The Best (And Only) Insulation Material You Need For DIY Absorbers (acousticsinsider.com)

You need to make sure they are thick enough so they work full-range. The thinner ones will only absorb high-freq. 
I have 15 panels, 2 are only 4inch thick(with 2 inch thick rockwool insulation in them) and the rest are 8inch thick with 5inch insulation in them). Corner panels have almost 10inch insulation in them. 

This worked like a charm, but my ceiling is superduper high when I clap my hands you can hear some reflection up there. 
So I'm looking into acoustic blankets or something else that I can hang up there. Nothing found yet... 

It definitely made the biggest impact, but that is because my room is really small with a really high ceiling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...