Moving Vandersteens (across the country)

On 6/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, TomicTime said:I know there are lower shock sticker indicators, my SOTA table shipped from factory with two ! a quick call to Donna at SOTA should allow you to source that. i dont think extra blankets or bubble wrap would hurt on speaker sides…

40588A24-004C-41E2-8C2C-9117E8D2C484.jpeg

5G is pretty low. Maybe too low. If you slap your hand on a table you get to 5G pretty fast. dX is very small in denominator. 

I will use what I have but my guess is they will all get tripped!  To do it right I think you need to know mass of each box, then pick the G rating. 

Let's face it, shipping can be risky. But, the OP's residential movers probably won't be as reckless as a dock loader at UPS or Fedex. Putting the 5g stickers and the other warning signs should help with keeping those items from being dropped or banged up. Perhaps he should mention his preventative efforts to the moving company to see if they can respect them.

B

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

Let's face it, shipping can be risky. But, the OP's residential movers probably won't be as reckless as a dock loader at UPS or Fedex. Putting the 5g stickers and the other warning signs should help with keeping those items from being dropped or banged up. Perhaps he should mention his preventative efforts to the moving company to see if they can respect them.

B

Movers are here now and they want to witness me boxing everything worth more than $3500.  3500 is the “high value” trigger. (Along with the word “firearm” too). They got sufficiently scared when I told them some of the cables are worth more than that. They like the idea (in principle anyway) of the small pallets as they make 2-man lifting possible. I think the tip-over indicators will be the most useful. 

Pics to follow as the story unfolds. 

Edited by JonM
Spelling

2 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

B

^I totally doubt it.^

You may be empathising with the movers by putting yourself in their shoes… but I do not think it works that way.
They are working a low paying job, and they either have respect for other peoples stuff or they do not.
But it is not like they are bonded, or otherwise overseen to be gentle like, say, a hospital orderly.

The neighbours were moving about 12-15 years ago and their narrow driveway was between two houses on street, as it was set way back.

I heard shouting and looked out the window.
The Haus-Boss was telling them to stop as their truck was going to hit a tree branch, and she asked them to wait for me to trim the branch.
They said, “Lady we know what we are doing”… The shouting continued…  and the branch indeed came down. 

They shattered on foot into the local park… and we never saw them again.
Their supervisor came by and I overheard the conversation…

HB: “Between the three of them I doubt they have a combined IQ over 100.”
Supervisor: “I couldn’t say, I am not a psychologist.”
HB: “Well I am, so consider it a professional opinion.”

That morning left a lasting  impression.

Good luck with the move @JonM.

• Like 1

Everyone should have a B system…

I empathize w you Jon…. in our many corporate moves, we had stellar care and dismal fails… the worst was Allied from STL to SEA…ugh, lovely bespoke Cherry dining table that looked like they ran it thru a wood chipper……

Peace brother

Edited by TomicTime
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

If I ever have to move again, I'll sell all the furniture and just pack up the stereo equipment and move it myself. (Hopefully, I will be still be in the US).

B

I like this idea. Next move should be “retirement home move” for me and maybe I will do exactly this.