Building a new home. I am including a dedicated listening room, what’s the perfect size and wall, ceiling material, I was thinking tongue and groove. I have tree wood CT’s and mono amps. I like the hardwood at least for the stereo flooring.

I am building a new home with a dedicated listening room, what’s the perfect size including height? Would you Trey the ceiling?
treo CT with mono amps   
also what’s the perfect wall and ceiling material, I’m thinking tongue and groove walls and ceiling. 
I like the engineered laminate for the room with area rugs, but I’m open to carpet.  There will be a bar and at least a sofa, maybe a sectional in there also. A TV will be over the center of the stack and I am planning on a centered setup. 

thanks

tony

Well - I am not sure.

9 hours ago, AJM said:

…  
also what’s the perfect wall and ceiling material, I’m thinking tongue and groove walls and ceiling. 

But running at least conduits for later possible AVR would be wise to do up front.
And also some of the diaphragm based bass absorbers between studs would be easier with an unfinished wall.
And people put various wool/glass type of absorbers with speaker like material over them.
(Mostly the DIY crowd).

The Haus-Boss has been talking about some macrame “ocean wave” type of wall hanging behind the sofa.
And I suggested some (roughly 1 square foot wooden manta-rays) on it… which she likes the idea of.
Their primary purpose (for me) would be as diffusers , but they might look good?

9 hours ago, AJM said:

…. 
I like the engineered laminate for the room with area rugs, but I’m open to carpet.  There will be a bar and at least a sofa, maybe a sectional in there also.

Is the floor suspended over some space? Or on a slab?
Our floor has a crawl space under it, and the Mrs was looking at the VSMs and asking… “how they mount and whether the cable go across the floor?”
I mentioned running the cables under the floor.
But I have also considered some woofers - like maybe 6th order bypass venting through holes in the floor… or some bass traps like a Helmholz with their vent into (and under) the floor,

I like wood, and engineered wood can be a good option.
Chucking a rug onto it gives some options for change.

9 hours ago, AJM said:

A TV will be over the center of the stack and I am planning on a centered setup. 

Any power circuit outlets in front, and behind, can minimising ground loop issues.

We got a TV lift that will allow the TV to stow away when not in use. That table has yet to be made, but I got the lift parts here yesterday. (Not cheap.)
For the AVR I got a secondhand Lyngdorf, and I got a used (second hand) preamp that have an AVR bypass, so it does not even need to be powered on for the AVR to work.
That is XLR, so I am considering selling the current stereo amp and getting a couple of class-D mono blocks.

All this chin scratching takes some time to work out… so it is better if one has some time to think about it… which it sounds like you are doing.

Edited by Holmz

• 1 month later...

Though not scientifically based, I prefer a room with lots of stuff. Bookshelves, Window treatments, Art, tables, sofas, and chairs, etc. 

Make it comfortable and lived in. All that stuff will absorb and reflect sound, and if done right, look great. And, you will be listening comfortably and probably get close to what you'd get if you added all sorts of panels/absorbers/deflectors.-My opinion.

Any issues with bass will be addressed with Sub 3's equalized bass. (If you can afford to build a dedicated room, then Sub 3's would be a cost effective means to not only add bass, but get it right).

+1 on dedicated lines/circuits. Conduits for interconnects if they have to traverse the room and your preamp and other equipment is far from the speakers/amps. 

Get a nice HRS audio stand, or have something built in that can allow the use of HRS isolation.

As for walls/ceiling. Perhaps doubling drywall. Though plastered surfaces would probably look even better.

Area rugs, not carpeting. I like being able to change the look of a room with different rugs. Hey, you can be like Sigmund Freud and just layer them. 

My 2+ cents....

Bob

• Like 2