Turntable cart suggestions solicited

2 hours ago, Holmz said:

Maybe I’ll take a crack at it…

i good place to start would IMO be asking the maker of your arm….. i believe from my limited understanding of his philosophy tangency distortion takes a distant back seat to cartridge / arm mass and compliance compatibility…..

3 hours ago, TomicTime said:

i good place to start would IMO be asking the maker of your arm….. i believe from my limited understanding of his philosophy tangency distortion takes a distant back seat to cartridge / arm mass and compliance compatibility…..

Yeah Jim - I think you are correct.
But it is a bit of a three body problem, so when the arm and cart appear possessed and in need an exorcist… then it is motorcrossing around the vinyl.

I was making referring to the math part of the arms.
I am not so sure that the alignment stuff is as critical as people make out…
Clearly the spindal distance and overhand effective length seems like a bit of a time waster as one can use beyerwald, and other schemes which change the effective length. So if the spindle to pivot was off by 1-mm then that is less than the difference between a lot of those alignments. So  instead of being perfect at the null point, then it is perfect somewhere else.
I am sure my distance is <0.25mm, as it is as close to “spot on” as I can see without a large vernier calliper.

Once we get to SRA, Azimuth it gets more critical…

People also get into a bit decimal place fetishism about tracking force, and maybe it matters more than I think… but 0,05 to 0.1 gm seems like it might be good enough.

At least a few people also make a big deal about bearings and friction/stiction and knife edge chatter.
The Korf site is pretty good, and goes nicely into the resonance stuff @GdnrBob and a lot of that is wound up in the Korf blogs.

In any case I was more interested in the geometry and math, and how the longer affects things, which I think is way less than than cart comparability and resonance.

• Like 1

you might like to visit three particular sites that i have found useful as it is not just a pure math tradeoff problem but also a lack of standards ( cutter head angle ) and manufacturing tolerance issue….. into the realm of…. statistics… ( yes…i am one of those Six Sigma Black Belt dudes….amidst other black arts )….

For example Lyra supplier spec ( probably BEST in world ) for stylus in cantilever alignment is +/- 1.5 degree…… now ponder a vendor with lower hurdle……

Besides Richard, i trust :

J Carr at Lyra

Thom at Galiber Design ( excellent blog )

Analog Magik

JR at WAM engineering…aka Wally Tools

there are others for sure….

• Like 2

Thanks Jim.

Thom is one of the fellows that I got some help from last year.
And he recommended the used CB-9.

Everyone likes a dragon killer, but the old SOTA was sounding pretty good, so it should be fine with the new motor, bearing, arm and cart. Certainly good enough for a Luddite,

• Like 1