Tube lovers: best 12AU7?

I’ve been through a few on my phono pre. The ones that I have always come back to are old (late 50’s) CBS Hytron 5814A’s. Short black plates.  They have a wonderful ‘sparkle’ on top and just seem to ‘open up’ the music for me. I use old Blackburn Mullards for my 4 12ax7’s in combo, but have tried old Tele’s, and also a mix of the two. The CBS and Mullards are a magical combo for me.

I was lucky to find a pair for $60. A steal actually. One of the CBS started showing signs of microphonics, which luckily I was able to tame by ‘fooling around’ with its seating, but have recently been looking for a replacement set, and the ones I found are not cheap compared to the $60 I spent on mine. Regardless, I would get another pair as back -ups without hesitation.

Tube sound is so subjective, but that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it 😁

Brian

• Like 1

For my tube buffer, I have settled on the new Tung Sol 12AU7, which I like to run at the +4dB gain level. It adds a nice saturation. For some recordings/moods I can run it at +8dB and get even more tube tone. The 0dB setting is not as exciting, but interestingly I've noticed the NOS RCA tri mica 5814a I have sounds a little more detailed than the Tung Sol with the 0dB setting. The Tung Sol, however, sounds better when pushed, so I use this tube and run it at +4dB usually. I feel the +4dB (or +8dB) setting is necessary to get the most out of this device. It sounds so good that I don't think I need a tube pre-amp at all.IMG_0400.thumb.jpg.fefcf08b6595e436d9a891c24ffccdf9.jpg

• Like 1

Nice. The tubes I mentioned above are in my Hagerman Trumpet phono pre. Jim creates some fantastic equipment for the $. 

Quite honestly, I wasn’t even aware he made a tube buffer. As you only need one, I tell’ya, you should at least consider experimenting with a CBS Hytron. I think it’s an amazing 12au7 (equivalent).

Enjoy, Brian.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I switched to Mogami 2964 cables into and out of the tube buffer (from my unshielded silver conductor IC's) and found it mellowed the sound a bit so I started using the GE 5814a which I find to be a great sounding tube with a touch of brightness on top. I now believe these NOS tubes are better than the new ones, even the Tung Sol that I like so much. The sound is more focused than it was before.

Edited by olds1959special
  • Like 1