Whole House Surge Protection

I’ve seen others post about whole-house surge protection on these forums and I asked my electrician about it. Seems like they won’t help with a direct lightning strike (not sure anything will… would like to discuss lightning rods at some point in another thread) but supposedly they do help with surges from the grid, especially after a power outage. These units are sacrificial and fail upon surge. 

I installed one on each of my breaker panels today. Easy to do if you have 2 open breaker positions. I had 2 open positions on each sub-panel outside the house where the power comes in.

Not sure if they work or not but it seems like (key words “seems like”) they can do no harm and are cheap insurance. 

5E9BAC29-5689-4157-92B1-5BBE8900CCB9.thumb.jpeg.47147d258606e182c11d23b146b185a4.jpegF66EFA72-4E82-4EB3-8ECA-8276C91DBF02.thumb.jpeg.8229367a36a638b62e5578f38377587e.jpeg14FBA290-3E03-4207-A1F1-5D1C1EEA55B1.thumb.jpeg.87cf42a8d4e026c515d76e514cc569f2.jpeg6DA5C17C-EBBB-4705-BA8A-942656A35058.thumb.jpeg.abaa61995f14c6c660640fd827323807.jpeg

• Like 2

Same brick look and colour as our place.
Looks like an older house.

There was a big electrical storm the other day. Nothing damaged, but I was concerned with the fact that the antenna goes into the TV —> AVP —> stereo…
So any surge would likely run the gambit through the system… as DC to Daylight.

And one know what is done for the antenna side?

I had one of my bass amps get fried from a lightening strike on one of my 5A's....Vandersteen repaired it, but even with lots of lightening, after my whole house protector was installed, I have nothing untoward to report....oh...also, there was an improvement in the sound.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BKDad said:

You may not like the price.  And, there’s more to installation than just putting it line.  But…

Polyphaser

Cheap enough, and cheaper than the gear.
I would think that one needs to tie the outside of it to a ground rod, otherwise the shield seems like it should be providing a path (of least resistance).
??

12 hours ago, Holmz said:

Cheap enough, and cheaper than the gear.
I would think that one needs to tie the outside of it to a ground rod, otherwise the shield seems like it should be providing a path (of least resistance).
??

There’s a link to the installation instructions right on that very webpage, oddly enough.

8 hours ago, BKDad said:

There’s a link to the installation instructions right on that very webpage, oddly enough.

I know it should be… I just used the chat and later when it came in,  his message said to call or email. 

@GdnrBob exactly right on the prevention.
The new place has lightening and rain, and I guess also some Cs137 recently.