Experimenting with Bi - amping

The SMSL amp is only 20 watts but it’s powering the tweeters. I turn it up all the way, then lower the 50 watt amp powering the woofers to get a balance. I guess it’s working as I don’t hear distortion yet. Is this safe to try?

Edited by olds1959special

1 hour ago, olds1959special said:

The SMSL amp is only 20 watts but it’s powering the tweeters. I turn it up all the way, then lower the 50 watt amp powering the woofers to get a balance. I guess it’s working as I don’t hear distortion yet. Is this safe to try?

It's certainly not an optimal/ideal way to power these speakers  but if nothing has blown up yet then you have answered your own question about whether it's safe to try..

• Like 1

I think it’s working so well because the tweeters must be more efficient than the woofers. The digital amp has a detailed airy sound and although is only 20 watts seems to be working as long as I attenuate the volume of the Klout a little. I honestly think it’s pretty good sounding and is a very unique sound to my ears, I’ve never heard my speakers in this way. The highs are very open and detailed I think. 

Edited by olds1959special
  • Like 1