How to adjust midrange and tweeter trims on Vandersteen 2Ci's when bi-amping with different amps

These are contour controls not level controls!  Thier range is greatest in the mid band on the midrange and the lower band on the tweeter.  They should not deviate much from 12 o'clock for this reason and they are not able to handle the power if used for level matching.  Best would be to use a voltmeter with the ability to measure dBs on the output of the amplifiers and adjust the higher one's input level control to within 1/5 dB of the other.   Hopefully the higher reading will be on the amp driving the bass as the sonics of the extra potentiometer will be slight.  RV

• Like 3

Thanks for explaining this, Richard! I set them closer to zero and it sounds better. I thought of the voltmeter idea - I could play white noise then measure the voltage on the output of the speaker cables, but I would rather not if it's sounding good as is. The Rotel amp is rated at a slightly higher watts per channel than the Hafler, so I'm using it for the bass driver.

Edited by olds1959special

4 hours ago, olds1959special said:

Thanks for explaining this, Richard! I set them closer to zero and it sounds better. I thought of the voltmeter idea - I could play white noise then measure the voltage on the output of the speaker cables, but I would rather not if it's sounding good as is. The Rotel amp is rated at a slightly higher watts per channel than the Hafler, so I'm using it for the bass driver.

People used to like tone controls, so you have one to your taste!  Liking the sound is what it is all about.  RV

• Like 1