CAPITAL AUDIOFEST 2023

I very much enjoyed my time this past weekend at the very well attended Capital Audiofest in Rockville, Maryland, just outside Washington D.C. There’s a lot of hoopla surrounding these events and it’s always fascinating to hear the ‘hot audio equipment of the moment’ and walk away feeling sort of confused and bewildered  by the hype, I listened to a pair of $300,000 pair of granite speakers that nearly chewed my ears off they were so shrill yet they were the ‘hot room’ — funny though, when you press people on their opinions they’ll begin to slowly, quietly and in private drop the ‘emperor’s new clothes’ bit and admit there might be problems with said ‘hot granite speaker.’ It’s also fun to find products that cost much less and sound much more musical than one million dollar systems. It was nice to see Brad O’Toole and experience the wonderful results of his fine setup of the Vandersteen Quatro’s CT’s that sounded great paired with new Rega flagship. Another observation: listeners in the Vandersteen room, when listening,  appeared much more thoughtful and engaged, less antsy, than in the other listening rooms. In the end, these events are a good opportunity  to trust your ears, take your time listening and not be swayed by the herd. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SAGNI said:

I very much enjoyed my time this past weekend at the very well attended Capital Audiofest in Rockville, Maryland, just outside Washington D.C. There’s a lot of hoopla surrounding these events and it’s always fascinating to hear the ‘hot audio equipment of the moment’ and walk away feeling sort of confused and bewildered  by the hype, I listened to a pair of $300,000 pair of granite speakers that nearly chewed my ears off they were so shrill yet they were the ‘hot room’ — funny though, when you press people on their opinions they’ll begin to slowly, quietly and in private drop the ‘emperor’s new clothes’ bit and admit there might be problems with said ‘hot granite speaker.’ It’s also fun to find products that cost much less and sound much more musical than one million dollar systems. It was nice to see Brad O’Toole and experience the wonderful results of his fine setup of the Vandersteen Quatro’s CT’s that sounded great paired with new Rega flagship. Another observation: listeners in the Vandersteen room, when listening,  appeared much more thoughtful and engaged, less antsy, than in the other listening rooms. In the end, these events are a good opportunity  to trust your ears, take your time listening and not be swayed by the herd. 

^Sort of appropriate at the moment.^

I would have a hard getting a stereo bill passed at home.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...