VCC-1 as center on TV above fireplace

The VCC-1 was designed to be used with the Model 1 series speakers.  The VCC-1 is not really dynamic enough for use with the Model 2 series, but some do even though the VCC-2 would be a better fit.  Because movies are made the way they are the center gets the majority of information of what is seen on the screen it makes sense to bias the investment to a more dynamic center like the VCC-2.  RV

21 hours ago, MikeInGA said:

Any special considerations? I have Model 2s as the mains.

After thinking about it, and almost getting the VCC-1…
I went for the VCC-5.
I have no complaints about it.

Any growl or dog bark on the TV get the hound awake.
She either runs towards a VSM, out of the room on an investigation paw-patrol, or to the TV screen.

In my AVP one can put in PEQ settings, and I applied some filters based upon measured response.
It is certainly loud enough for Top Gun, and that style of action movie.

Alternatively, I found that the 2C in a 2.1.0 system was great for 1-2 people close the center.
One day I had wirded up the speakers with the TV, and the Haus-Boss asked why I don’t move the speakers out as the TV sounded great.
It is that convincing.
Personally I’d tend to lean towards recommending a sub or two over a center channel unless you have a lot of seats that are off-axis.
If you just have a sofa for 2 people, then how do the 2Cs sound with the AVR/AVP set to 2/4/6 instead of 3/5/7 speakers?
If it is focussed then, you are not going to sound pulling off screen, until you scoootch across the sofa a fair distance.  

90% of the HT crowd proclaims that a good center channel is a must, but we do not have a basement with rows of seats… so it easier to listen to them than to me.
And >1/2 of the center channels have lobing problems, so with 2C you pretty much have to use VCC as the cross over order seems important.

If you are watching the TV at low levels then a VCC-1 might be OK, the VCC-5 might in fact be overkill, but as RV pointed out the center channels gets the lion’s share of sound… so in a mixed HT/2-channel I am pretty comfortable with the VCC-5.

For a fixed set of $, I would recommend subs, then surrounds, then center.
But, again, I might be an outlier.

Edited by Holmz

On 2/28/2024 at 9:16 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

The VCC-1 was designed to be used with the Model 1 series speakers.  The VCC-1 is not really dynamic enough for use with the Model 2 series, but some do even though the VCC-2 would be a better fit.  Because movies are made the way they are the center gets the majority of information of what is seen on the screen it makes sense to bias the investment to a more dynamic center like the VCC-2.  RV

It was the VCC-2 that I had in mind to start with.  My mind and fingers don't always act in unison.  But it will work above and behind the mains? Also does it need to be aimed downward at the seating position?  I have 1s and 2s and 100% Vandersteen fanboy.  Slowly converting my entire HT area into Vandersteen. We talked briefly when you were in Atlanta last year. 

1 hour ago, MikeInGA said:

It was the VCC-2 that I had in mind to start with.  My mind and fingers don't always act in unison.  But it will work above and behind the mains? Also does it need to be aimed downward at the seating position?  I have 1s and 2s and 100% Vandersteen fanboy.  Slowly converting my entire HT area into Vandersteen. We talked briefly when you were in Atlanta last year. 

VCC-2 is a good choice and having it behind the main speakers is better, but it is designed to be hung on the wall under the screen.  All of our speakers that use the CO-AX drivers should never be pointed at the listener and should be listened 10-30 degrees off axis.  You're in good hands with our dealer Alan in Atlanta.  RV

10 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

VCC-2 is a good choice and having it behind the main speakers is better, but it is designed to be hung on the wall under the screen.  All of our speakers that use the CO-AX drivers should never be pointed at the listener and should be listened 10-30 degrees off axis.  You're in good hands with our dealer Alan in Atlanta.  RV

Thank you good sir.  Alan is my dealer.  He got me hooked on your stuff. Now I need more of the good stuff.