Ugh... My system has been in mothballs for the past year.

I sold my house last spring and moved to an apartment. I didn't set up my system because I didn't want to upset neighbors and be a nuisance. I finally am buying a new place, and I will be setting the system back up in late June.  I can't wait. Don't take your listening time for granted. I did buy Meze Empyrean headphones that were nice, but I missed the real thing. 

I did sell my ARC REF75SE and bough an REF80s. I sold my Lateral rack and bought a HRS rack and platforms. Huge & heavy crates and some boxes are what I am looking at... I can't wait to hear how these changes have affected things.  First world problems for sure.

Question: Are there any ARC users out there that have made the switch from the REF75SE to a REF80S? If so, opinions?

The rest of the system at this time is:

AMG Giro with Lyra Delos

ARC Ref Phono 3

ARC Ref 6 Preamp

ARC REF80S

Aurender N10

AQ Niagara 5000

Vandy Quatro Wood CT

Any tips for setting all the stuff back up would be appreciated. Does sitting unused for a year cause any issues that I should be aware of? Will there be another break-in period? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilrem said:

Vandy Quatro Wood CT

Any tips for setting all the stuff back up would be appreciated. Does sitting unused for a year cause any issues that I should be aware of? Will there be another break-in period? 

Very exciting for you, I imagine. I would anticipate highs and lows while setting up and dialing in the system. Electrical outlets not conveniently situated, rattling fixtures, uneven floors, etc. Sometimes setting up and adjusting can feel like running into a brick wall. Take a break or sleep on it when frustrations accumulate.

Regarding your Quatro Wood CT, which I also own and adore, I recommend revisiting the user manual. Loudspeaker placement (avoiding room modes as much as possible), rake angle, and bass section EQ and contour are so stinkin’ important to extracting the most of them.

I sincerely hope all goes smoothly for you. Happy listening ahead.

• Like 3

you have been given Great advice. Hopefully you’ve got some physical setup help - especially getting spikes and washers on the Quattro and general unpacking and assembly. I would absolutely reverify VTF on the TT / Delos and nail TT level.  Check the dip switch values and reset if the input impedance is not equal on the amp.  Your new ARC amp is going to take awhile to break in.  imo > 100 hours….

You absolutely have the makings of a world class music machine ! best to you - Jim 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pilrem said:

I didn't set up my system because I didn't want to upset neighbors and be a nuisance. I finally am buying a new place, and I will be setting the system back up in late June.  I can't wait. Don't take your listening time for granted.

Understood. Last year my rig was down for a pair of months, not good. You will be so excited to get up and running again.

You are running a Delos. Does it have a lower-mid/upper-base presence?

Cody

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...