Four amps are better than one?

Posted (edited)

I got some new dual mono amps to replace my old ones, (Hafler DH120's) and noticed the new ones weren't as good-sounding in the bass department. So I decided to use the old dual mono amps for the bass drivers and the new amps for the midrange/tweeter. So four amps total. Since the new amps (Fosi ZA3) are technically a little more powerful, I have to turn them down, (or turning down the contour controls of the speakers has some effect too,) to create the right balance.

Edited by olds1959special
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

I have to say my Atmasphere Class D amps were superb in the bass. They were mixed in the higher frequencies.

B

I have read Class D performs better in the bass. But after 5 minutes of listening this way, I switched it back because it just didn't sound good this way. I felt the benefits of the Fosi amps/Sparkos (clear open treble) were not heard when playing through the bass, and the bass sound was too spread sounding.

I'm kind of missing the smooth, dark, relaxed sound of my Haflers alone, and not having to match volume levels., but I think going back would probably be a downgrade. The Vandersteens are so revealing of gear used upstream and the Fosi amps just sound different, much more spacious/hollow/airy and not as dense/thick sounding.

The pros: good detail, imaging, soundstage, space, great with TV because of clear open treble

The cons: sometimes sounds harsh, weird, artificial

Posted (edited)

After listening and trying things out today I'm convinced I'm on the right path for my needs. I'm really enjoying the sound and the music with this combo of amps.

I'm listening to Frank Sinatra's "Swingin' Session" from 1961 on Capitol records and the sound seems huge and limitless in every way!

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 7.09.20 PM.jpg