Room Set Up(Photos) - Help Request

My children left for College and I converted their Game/Media Room to a Stereo  / 5.1 HT with my original audio components from around 2000 -2005. 

Equipment:

• Vandersteen 2Ce Mains, V2W, VCC 5 with Axiom QS4 Rear Surrounds
  • B&K AVR 307: Class A/B AVR with 7 Channels - 150 Watts - 8 Ohms
  • B&K 125.2 STR Amp with Class A Pre-driver & A/B MOSFET Power Output Stages(Not currently being used but available)

Challenge:

In Stereo the 2Ces Mids and Highs sound overly bright and pinched.  

Set Up:

• 2Ces dials set to “0”
  • V2W set to “0” - in phase
  • B&K Menu: 2Ces set to Large, 0dB & V2W set to Ultra, 0dB
  • Listening distance from the 2Ces / V2W is 8’.  

I hope y’all can help me dial in my beloved OG system.   Appreciate the help…

IMG_0130.jpeg

IMG_0129.jpeg

• Like 2

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls? I ran my 2Ce Sig. II's with both tone controls, the mids and highs, set to -2db, tamed 'em.

Thanks for sharing,

Cody

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ATX said:

My children left for College and I converted their Game/Media Room to a Stereo  / 5.1 HT with my original audio components from around 2000 -2005. 

Equipment:

• Vandersteen 2Ce Mains, V2W, VCC 5 with Axiom QS4 Rear Surrounds
  • B&K AVR 307: Class A/B AVR with 7 Channels - 150 Watts - 8 Ohms
  • B&K 125.2 STR Amp with Class A Pre-driver & A/B MOSFET Power Output Stages(Not currently being used but available)

Challenge:

In Stereo the 2Ces Mids and Highs sound overly bright and pinched.  

Set Up:

• 2Ces dials set to “0”
  • V2W set to “0” - in phase
  • B&K Menu: 2Ces set to Large, 0dB & V2W set to Ultra, 0dB
  • Listening distance from the 2Ces / V2W is 8’.  

I hope y’all can help me dial in my beloved OG system.   Appreciate the help…

IMG_0130.jpeg

IMG_0129.jpeg

Not a lot of hope here with all the reflective surfaces so near the Model 2's.  Try using more tilt back (a lot) on the 2's to delay the mids and highs.  Cut the tweeter and mid about 1.5 dB but don't go any further as in HT the controls may not handle enough power.

RV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

That room looks pretty tight.

If they are staying there, then I would be toeing them in like kid doing the snowplow on skis.
Probably having them crossing over around your knees as a start.

13 minutes ago, ATX said:

@Richard Vandersteen Would the sound improve if I replaced the 2Ce with VLR CTs? TY

The VSMs also do fairly well, and most of the sound is out of the center for HT.
However you said that the challenge was with 2-channel… and it looks like it should be difficult.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Holmz said:

That room looks pretty tight.

If they are staying there, then I would be toeing them in like kid doing the snowplow on skis.
Probably having them crossing over around your knees as a start.

The VSMs also do fairly well, and most of the sound is out of the center for HT.
However you said that the challenge was with 2-channel… and it looks like it should be difficult.

The VLR CT would be a bad choice for HT.  They are designed for bookshelf use or on a stand with their backs against the wall and moderate listening levels.  RV

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

The VLR CT would be a bad choice for HT.  They are designed for bookshelf use or on a stand with their backs against the wall and moderate listening levels.  RV

Yeah but… I was suggesting to try “toeing in” the existing 2CE pair.

It might not work, but it seems like it  would be easy enough to try, and might help.

(A large number of people are attracted to a wider radiation pattern than the 2C  varieties exhibit. However with walls very close by, or in a bright room,  a narrower radiation pattern has some advantages. Even so, a window close to them can pull the sound stage over - but it seemed better with some toe in.)

• Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 9:58 AM, Richard Vandersteen said:

You’re correct in that this room is primarily for 2.1 music at high volumes. The HT set up is because in a year or so I’ll have a Theater room and I am not parting with my VCC5 or my V2Ws.  The 2Ces sonically compromised by improper placement still sound better than the Bookshelf speakers I auditioned of similar price.  I was curious about the VLR CTs because I’ll be adding a pair, anyway,  when the Theater is ready…

• Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 7:41 PM, Holmz said:

Yeah but… I was suggesting to try “toeing in” the existing 2CE pair.

It might not work, but it seems like it  would be easy enough to try, and might help.

(A large number of people are attracted to a wider radiation pattern than the 2C  varieties exhibit. However with walls very close by, or in a bright room,  a narrower radiation pattern has some advantages. Even so, a window close to them can pull the sound stage over - but it seemed better with some toe in.)

TY for the responses. I have moved the 2Ces in a 1000 different positions and what seems to work best is 1 almost straight and 1 toed in because I sit off center….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ATX said:

….  I was curious about the VLR CTs because I’ll be adding a pair, anyway,  when the Theater is ready…

In the HT side? Or somewhere else?

I would be tempted to run a 1B as rears, but I am having no issues with the VSMs… and the room we have cannot support 1Bs… and I don’t have a set laying around anyhow…
But they could be intriguing to try.
Conceptually sort of like having XTRM in the front and 2CE as surrounds… 

The VSMs seem like a logical choice though.
I am using a set as mains at the moment until the trios get their frequent flier miles and arrive.

2 hours ago, Holmz said:

In the HT side? Or somewhere else?

I would be tempted to run a 1B as rears, but I am having no issues with the VSMs… and the room we have cannot support 1Bs… and I don’t have a set laying around anyhow…
But they could be intriguing to try.
Conceptually sort of like having XTRM in the front and 2CE as surrounds… 

The VSMs seem like a logical choice though.
I am using a set as mains at the moment until the trios get their frequent flier miles and arrive.

I really like the VSMs and would use them as rears before a 1B.  Either way, it’s a win/win, you will have an incredible system.  

• Like 1

I think Mr. V. commented that the VLR's work best near corners, as that reinforces the bass output. If you can position yours near the corners, all the better. I put mine near the ceiling corners and am quite happy with the results. Though I have a couple of HSU subs, I found that I really wasn't missing that much when they weren't connected. Yes, at the extreme lower register it was not as aggressive, but overall it sounded quite good. ( I also took Johnny Rutan's advice and not tilt them much. They really do have a wide range in output.

B

• Like 1

I'm currently using 1B as fronts, because they have the tweeter at just the right height, and offer clarity without fatigue. For the rest of the HT speakers, there's an Axiom center, and a pair of Advent Maestros as the rears. The old 3-way Advents have a flat top, and sit right up against the wall, with good enough bass.

Years ago I had a stack of Epicure 100s on the tops of Advent 6003s. That was an interesting system. Except for the Maestro and the 6003, most of Advent's manufacture was with two way speakers.