T.H.E. Show next week

I’m trying to decide whether to stop by THE Show in Orange County next week as I will be nearby on business.  Likely Friday is my only opportunity and it looks like the doors don’t open to the public until 12:00 that day. I went last year and it took an hour to get signed in due to the long line, so if that repeats, there won’t be a lot of time. 

I noticed that Richard is on their schedule on Saturday at 10:15 hosting a brunch. Anyone know what the topic is for this session?

Thanks

Todd

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delkat said:

I’m trying to decide whether to stop by THE Show in Orange County next week as I will be nearby on business.  Likely Friday is my only opportunity and it looks like the doors don’t open to the public until 12:00 that day. I went last year and it took an hour to get signed in due to the long line, so if that repeats, there won’t be a lot of time. 

I noticed that Richard is on their schedule on Saturday at 10:15 hosting a brunch. Anyone know what the topic is for this session?

Thanks

Todd

What's new at Vandersteen, exclusive club of Time and Phase Correct because it's not for everyone, why electronics, and as many questions from the crowd I can take.  RV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed Richard's talk on Saturday as I had to leave Friday late afternoon to catch a flight home after a week on the road.  I hope it went well.

I know Friday was probably not the best sounding day for most rooms but that was my only choice.  Here are my thoughts after my 5 hours there.

Overall, I was very surprised at how bright most systems sounded to my ears.  I was a little surprised since my latest hearing test of my 60 year old ears show a pretty significant roll-off after about 5K.  Maybe that has some inverse effect on how I hear highs?

I was mainly focused on listening to higher end speaker offerings.  I listened to Acora SRC-2, TAD (wow bright!), Magico's new S5, Von Schweikert Ultra 55s with variable active (class D) bass and 2 subs in the back of the room aimed at the back wall set out of phase to cancel the reflected wavefront, Gryphon, Rockport Atria 2, Stenheim Alumine (terrible), YG Sonja 3.2, Boenicke (cool looking), Lansch, Evolution Acoustics, Borresen (ear searing bright), Estelon, Wolf Von Langa (field coil) and some other lower cost speakers.

I spent about 4 hours on Saturday listening to my Kentos with a lot of the same tracks I heard at the show on Friday.  My speakers in my room just sound so well balanced and natural with tight extended base that pressurizes the room when appropriate.  Again, I know the show environment is not ideal and the rooms probably improved throughout the weekend, but I just didn't get that with most of what I heard.  Some were quite impressive, Magico (nice burgundy satin finish) , Acora (for the size of the speaker filling a large room) but they sounded bright, hi-fi-ish and slightly unnatural.  The Stenheims and Rockports were lower end models and didn't impress.  The only speakers that sounded pretty good were the Von Schweikerts but they were probably close to $200K with the subs.  They seemed to employ some of the concepts that Vandersteen uses with the powered bass.  I did get a chance to listen to the lower end YGs at a dealer (fully treated room) earlier in the week and they were able to create a huge 3 dimensional deep holographic soundstage like I've not heard before, but the tonality was not natural and they lacked bass.

I did enjoy the show and may decide to attend a larger one sometime this year.  It was interesting to meet and talk to some of the attendees reps.

Todd

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Delkat said:

My speakers in my room just sound so well balanced and natural with tight extended base that pressurizes the room when appropriate.

I cannot think of a better result than going to Costa Mesa to find out that your speakers really good.

49 minutes ago, Delkat said:

Overall, I was very surprised at how bright most systems sounded to my ears.  I was a little surprised since my latest hearing test of my 60 year old ears show a pretty significant roll-off after about 5K.  Maybe that has some inverse effect on how I hear highs?

I am probably similar in “ear condition” to you.
But it is always surprising to me how a lot of speakers are bright to the point of discomfort, or  are just unnatural sounding.
I can understand it in the <$1000 range.

Then also how surprising it is to find some speakers are really a lot like how the ol’ 2C sound, at least in some aspects.
I kind of keep a mental not of speakers that I could live with when I hear them… it is not hard to do as the list is tractable.

• Like 2