Interpreting REW

I'm trying to decipher my REW results and am confused about the decay time measurement.  If I look at the RT60 plot I see 300-600ms.  When I look at the waterfall, I can see low frequencies out to 2s but maybe they have dropped off enough in a short enough time so that these long decay times aren't relevant which would explain the RT60 results being different.  I'm just wondering if there are any members with more experience interpreting REW results and could provide some feedback on the following results. 

My goal is to work on the room a little in the next 6 months.  As the room is our family room and it is heavily influenced by WAF, I can't add a bunch of room treatments nor would I want to based on the guidance from Richard and other members of this forum.  I was thinking about using some of the active base traps from PSI Audio like their AVAA C214.  Also the Stillpoints Aperture II are supposed to be pretty effective for their size.  Lastly, I was thinking about building a removable diffuser to cover my 65' flat panel TV between my Kentos using lightweight Multifuser DC3 panels from Vicoustic that I can hang over the TV when I'm listening for extended periods. 

Thanks

Todd

image.thumb.png.d67a3cfa72116c88613c5de62ce6fb0a.png

image.thumb.png.c0cc8246ebf8f836fa7fa01b7770fcb7.png

image.thumb.png.178e86e8c55bcfdd94e17e10a1097a37.png

• Like 1

There are more opinions on what measurements would be ideal and they are all over the map!  Avoid active tube traps as your speakers are adjustable unless you have problems larger than can be corrected by someone with experience.  I would cover your flat screen with a bedspread and see if it is a problem worth worrying about because if the opposite wall is reasonably diffused or absorbed, they are not as big a problem as audiophiles think they are.  Use a few great recordings (Eneke and I just listened to all 4 sides of Simon and Garfunkel's Concert in Central Park, amazing work by Roy Halee) to assess how your system sounds to you.  Be careful not to chase poor recordings as if your successful it will kill the great recordings because they are our reward on investment.  RV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Richard. I spent about 10 hours listening over the weekend and the room sounds pretty damn good. I guess it’s the engineer in me that wants to analyze everything to death. 

Todd

2 hours ago, Delkat said:

Thanks Richard. I spent about 10 hours listening over the weekend and the room sounds pretty damn good. I guess it’s the engineer in me that wants to analyze everything to death. 

Todd

There comes that time when the engineer must be shot for progress.  No one at Vandersteen to shoot the engineer so new products are few and far between!  RV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Simon and Garfunkel's Concert in Central Park, amazing work by Roy Halee) 

Is this a current LP or vintage?  What label?

thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 11:54 AM, DC-93 said:

Is this a current LP or vintage?  What label?

thanks!

https://www.discogs.com/master/27817-Simon-Garfunkel-The-Concert-In-Central-Park

It was originally released in 1982. The most recent reissue on vinyl was 2015. 

In addition to RV's mention of Roy Halee's amazing engineering, mastering is by Greg Calbi, who does fantastic work here and on many of the best sounding  records I've heard. https://www.discogs.com/artist/244135-Greg-Calbi

• Thanks 1