The 2Ce Sig II's arrived...

Spades are superior.  You don't need high dollar ones. The electrons are blind and can't tell the difference as long as the connection is good!

Crimp, then let solder flow into it, all the way.

IMG_8420.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DC-93 said:

Spades are superior.  You don't need high dollar ones. The electrons are blind and can't tell the difference as long as the connection is good!

Crimp, then let solder flow into it, all the way.

IMG_8420.JPG

Where can I get the right size spades? 

39 minutes ago, olds1959special said:

I just ordered the ones in the amazon link. They are half inch size, which looks just right. They also appear to allow for screwing in the bare wire, which is great for me.

1/2 inch is too wide!  7/16 inch max width.  RV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, olds1959special said:

61s4r19H7iL.thumb.jpeg.f75ba3e13c5de8e712e9359c67f738b9.jpegwill this work?

If the are cheap enough get some and see.
A bastard, or mill bastard file, could skinny them up,

The “wings” look like they are 1 to 1.5mm wide. So that would comput as 10-11 mm wide… 11-mm is close to 7/16”

I’d also suggest making sure that 14ga wire fits into the hole.

9 hours ago, olds1959special said:

I only have bare wire speaker cables. Does this look okay?

IMG_0207.thumb.JPG.fe591e1a367ae3c781c0194880250be1.JPG

Personally I’d be running the ones one the right hand side clockwise so that the screw tightens them in tension, and not trying to compress the wire and buckle it in compression of the strands.
I should not make it sound different, but it might look a bit better.

Edited by Holmz

Posted (edited)

I'll see if the spades I ordered fit. I'll probably give up and leave them bare wire if they don't. The problem with these speakers is you have to use very small spades, and usually the good ones are bigger. I can get some from the hardware store but they would not be the best quality, and I'd have to pull out my soldering iron.

Is there a way I can figure out the year these Sig II's were built? The serials are 65xxx.

Edited by olds1959special

50 minutes ago, olds1959special said:

I'll see if the spades I ordered fit. I'll probably give up and leave them bare wire if they don't. The problem with these speakers is you have to use very small spades, and usually the good ones are bigger. I can get some from the hardware store but they would not be the best quality, and I'd have to pull out my soldering iron.

Is there a way I can figure out the year these Sig II's were built? The serials are 65xxx.

Not normally true!  The best sounding spades are one that have the least metal in them assuming they are RED copper with a gold or silver direct plating without nickel underneath.  Better still would be a Ring lug made with the same metal and plating as they are gas tight.  RV

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Not normally true!  The best sounding spades are one that have the least metal in them assuming they are RED copper with a gold or silver direct plating without nickel underneath.  Better still would be a Ring lug made with the same metal and plating as they are gas tight.  RV

Are the screws removable to allow for the use of ring lugs? 

should I get this?

https://a.co/d/ifmqFiP

Maybe one could just pre-tin the wire with some solder, in a hook shape?

If you are going to that effort, you could also get some cable boots, and then some covering and really doll em up.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The spade lugs from Amazon were way too big. I’ve realized that bare wire must be fine. The connections are sufficient. I’ve tightened the screws enough, the wires are not going to fall out. Adding ring or spade lugs is not going to improve the sound. The wires are not touching, there are no shorts. It’s all psychological. Time to stop thinking about this and enjoy the sound.