Vintage by serial number, community support 

I just picked up a second-hand set of Model 3A Signatures and I would love to know approximately when they were made. Given that this company has been making great speakers for almost 50 years, I'm imagining that there are others like me who would like to know when their Vandersteen babies were born. Would some of you who bought your's brand-new be willing to share the specific model number, the serial numbers, and the year that you bought them so that those of us who got our's second-hand could deduce when our's were made?

@E-Ball Fantastic speakers, i owned a pair for almost a decade and they are STILL in near constant use by music loving fellow audiophile brother. IF you didn’t get the rather substantial Sound Anchor stand engineered by Richard, i cannot recommnd it more highly. Have fun….. A fantastic speaker

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you, both. I appreciate your responses.

I am thrilled with the 3A Sig's and, yes, I have the Sound-Anchor stands. I'm amazed at how incredibly stable those towers are with the stands - truly anchored - and they really open up the sound.

As for my serial number referencing idea, I have seen the table that you shared via that link, Boom Boom, and I'm interested to know more specifically when my particular pair were made, given that the 3A Sig's have been in production for 23 years. I've heard Richard say that he more or less continually upgrades each model, so I'm curious to know where my set falls on the continuum between first introduction in 2001 and today.

Edited by E-Ball
  • Like 1

Are any of you second-hand owners, like me, interested in identifying the specific vintage of your Vandersteens? The serial numbers on my 3A Signatures are 9218 and 9219. Do any of you 3A Signature original owners have a set in the 8000-10,000 range? If so, would you be willing to tell me when you bought yours new so that I could estimate when mine were built?

This will not yield an accurate year of manufacture as each of our dealers back in the day were issued a batch of numbers for Model 1,2,and 3's but the bigger dealers sold through their batch sooner than the smaller ones so at any day in time speakers could ship thousands of numbers from each other.  I never thought this would be of such interest 20-30 years later, my bad.  RV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1