What is the year my 2ce Sig II's were made?

Richard’s answered these guestions elsewhere if you can search and find. I’m not good at searching. He often can’t tell you exact dates even based on serial numbers. Not sure if he can in this instance. 

I never thought about that. I honestly wonder how many used speakers will ship with original boxes.  I always kept my boxes, but many never did back in the day. Heck, my Polk 10's shipped from CT, to college (Ok University) each year and then to Cali and each deployment they were stored for the year and then back to CT where they were moved a few times before I sold them.  They were my road warriors and the boxes were not small. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 7:54 PM, olds1959special said:

The serials are 65012 and 65013. Thanks.

Hey there, olds1959...

Couldn't help but take note of the S/Ns of your recently acquired 2Ce Sig IIs--both as you posted here and before this, seeing your pics of the terminal strips showing the bare speaker wire on them on your other thread. 

Congrats on the Sig IIs, by the way👍; they are amazing speakers AFAIC. This is my 2nd pair of them and though aural recall is not 100% reliable (nevermind the many changes in system variables since), I swear sound better than the previous pair I owned.

Somehow I was able to discern the S/Ns from those pics and realized...something very familiar ...Check out the S/Ns of my Sig IIs: 65004/65005--that's right, our respective pairs are only 3 sets apart!!!

Now, whether they are only 3 actual pairs of speakers apart, we might never know for certain, but if you should ever determine the year of manufacture then I'll know that about mine, too. (My end caps are the Dark Walnut finish, btw...)

Now, one curious difference: my S/Ns are just three pairs earlier, yet my back plates have the embossed "30th Anniversary"  sticker, while it looks like yours (again, per the pics on your other thread) do not---RICHARD!!!??? 🤔 ("Mr. Vandersteen"...???)

What an otherwise curious coincidence they are literally from the same mfg. batch (one has to think)...

Chuckster 

20240625_151401.jpg

20240625_150923.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chuckster said:

Hey there, olds1959...

Couldn't help but take note of the S/Ns of your recently acquired 2Ce Sig IIs--both as you posted here and before this, seeing your pics of the terminal strips showing the bare speaker wire on them on your other thread. 

Congrats on the Sig IIs, by the way👍; they are amazing speakers AFAIC. This is my 2nd pair of them and though aural recall is not 100% reliable (nevermind the many changes in system variables since), I swear sound better than the previous pair I owned.

Somehow I was able to discern the S/Ns from those pics and realized...something very familiar ...Check out the S/Ns of my Sig IIs: 65004/65005--that's right, our respective pairs are only 3 sets apart!!!

Now, whether they are only 3 actual pairs of speakers apart, we might never know for certain, but if you should ever determine the year of manufacture then I'll know that about mine, too. (My end caps are the Dark Walnut finish, btw...)

Now, one curious difference: my S/Ns are just three pairs earlier, yet my back plates have the embossed "30th Anniversary"  sticker, while it looks like yours (again, per the pics on your other thread) do not---RICHARD!!!??? 🤔 ("Mr. Vandersteen"...???)

What an otherwise curious coincidence they are literally from the same mfg. batch (one has to think)...

Chuckster 

20240625_151401.jpg

20240625_150923.jpg

They sound might be brighten up if you hook up wires to the “high” terminals. 😃

• Haha 2

On 6/26/2024 at 12:12 PM, DC-93 said:

FYI - My June, 2010 built Sig. II speakers are #68052-3. 

DC-93, thanks for providing some additional info/ context, though it both helps in establishing provenance and adds another layer of differentiation of same, lol.

Interesting that a "-#" (-3) is part of your S/N as I've neither seen that nor anecdotally heard of that before.

Now I'm interested if Vandersteen (the company) might be able to offer what the addendum number designation indicates...

Edited by Chuckster

• 3 weeks later...

I read what was originally posted.  Nice it was deleted... 👍

"FYI - My June, 2010 built Sig. II speakers are #68052-3."

This is another way to say #68052 and #68053. 

No more, no less.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DC-93 said:

I read what was originally posted.  Nice it was deleted... 👍

"FYI - My June, 2010 built Sig. II speakers are #68052-3."

This is another way to say #68052 and #68053. 

No more, no less.

Thanks for sharing the info re: your speakers, DC-93. I appreciate your contribution to this discussion.

My apologies for getting my "wires crossed " before...🫣

Also, your boxes look like they've seen some shipping mileage, for sure. 😄

I do not have the boxes for my current pair of 2Ce Sig IIs, so you're fortunate to at least have them...I called Vandersteen and the cost of replacement boxes/packaging isn't too bad, but shipping 2 of them from Coast to Coast costs more than (both of) the boxes! 🤑

Edited by Chuckster
Minor revision
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chuckster said:

Thanks for sharing the info re: your speakers, DC-93. I appreciate your contribution to this discussion.

My apologies for getting my "wires crossed " before...🫣

Also, your boxes look like they've seen some shipping mileage, for sure. 😄

I do not have the boxes for my current pair of 2Ce Sig IIs, so you're fortunate to at least have them...I called Vandersteen and the cost of replacement boxes/packaging isn't too bad, but shipping 2 of them from Coast to Coast costs more than (both of) the boxes! 🤑

The cost is crazy but if we flatten them, they are too large for UPS and must go by truck (very expensive)!  Ups will take them assembled which is within their dimensional limits but charge for the volume.  Best not to worry about boxes unless they are needed for service (rare as the modularity and videos allows field service) or they are being sold.  RV

• Like 1