New…and IMO…Great

TomicTime

Big Hiatt fan here as well.  At T.H.E. Show a few years ago, the only Lp I took along was Slow Turning.  The last song on that album, Feels Like Rain, is one of my favorite (and a great demo as well).  Heard it on several nice systems and was pleased when I enjoyed it as much on my own system shortly after.  I'll check this one out Jim; thank you.

Do you have Little Village?  Another gem

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys, I have my eyes on a copy of Village. Discogs has a few, but also 'saved' a new copy  on eBay. at times, sellers on eBay will provide a better offer when you save an item. I'll give it a day or so and see if that happens, but either way, it's only a couple $$ either way.

My copy of Little Village arrived today. Very nice indeed, and at least through the first listen, seemed to get better as it went along.

Thanks for the recommendation guys, another nice inclusion to the collection 👍🏼

And hey, the blue vinyl matches my Soundsmith MIMC 😉

02DC37F9-2572-4406-85F0-BABA0D14FBC5.jpeg

F8FA6F08-4E56-4B7A-899F-6F399BBF479C.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Holmz said:

What phono amp are you using?
or… Do you know the amount of phono stage gain it has?

I use a Hagerman Trumpet MC tube phono pre with (2) NOS Brimar 12au7’s, and (4) 12ax7 Dynaco/Telefunken smooth plates. I run my load at 1,000  per Soundsmith and gain @ 60. Soundsmith recommends 64, but 60 is fine, and quieter.

• Like 1

Very nice Brian!  I'll be in the cartridge market pretty soon.  Still debating whether to have Soundsmith rebuild my 10 year old Sumiko Blackbird (which involves an 8 - 10 week turn around :classic_sad:) or go with something else new.  My AR SP-17 has a low gain phono section, so I need a high output MC or add a SUT or a phono amp, which I'm not real excited about.  I'm considering Hana.

@Steve Edwards Steve, I assume you checked with Soundsmith? I thought they might have finally caught up on their backlog of repairs.  Prior to COVID I think 4-8 weeks was more normal for a turn around. 

@TomicTime Jim has a Hana, maybe he will provide you with some guidance. I know he likes the ML, but lacks a bit of lower end ‘grunt’.  As he has stated, a ‘very polite’ cartridge.

Little Village was a great recommendation 👍🏼

Hey Brian, yes, I contacted Soundsmith a few months ago.  I'd have to go back to the email, but I think at that time, they quoted my 8 weeks.

I will confer with Jim on the cartridge.  Glad you are enjoying Little Village  ..........  

Sister's doin' the alligator
Up on the table top
Lot of Farfisa racket

First i would say the Hana ML is quite a good value. I  shipped the sapphire / sumiko / Hana combo off to a Vandy owner in AZ today, but i remember it as being very neutral but somewhat polite in dynamics compared to a roughly 2X $ Lyra. With the Herron, i had no need for more gain, but i am not sure w added SUT, etc that this would sound better than a similarly priced moving magnet, iron.

Hana has a decent share because of volume, good scale and very good sonics. 

• Like 1