A Nice Pairing

Steve Edwards

Since his days with The Faces and Rod Stewart’s early solo career, I’ve been a big fan of Ronnie Lane; for his playing and songwriting.  And as good a guitarist as Pete Townshend is, I’ve always liked his voice better than Daltrey’s.  When these two decided to record together in 1976 (originally, Ronnie asked Pete to just produce), they enlisted some notable guests. 

The result is an enjoyable record which varies in style.  The UK version on Polydor offers a little more clarity & definition than the US version on MCA. 

5AFE8584-398A-4C1F-AAF6-7FA51C5FD0D4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, bkeske said:

That is a great LP Steve. A friend of mine had it when it came out, and I always enjoyed it when he spun it, wanted it, but for whatever reason, never snagged it. I should search for a nice copy. Thats for the tip on the UK version.

Here you go bkeske:

https://www.discogs.com/Pete-Townshend-Ronnie-Lane-Rough-Mix/release/1893450

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, after doing some digging, found someone in the US that has a Polydor New Zealand pressing. Same catalog #as the UK release from 77. Said to be in VG+ condition (‘vinyl almost looks unplayed’). So took a chance hoping the quality will be the same/similar….pretty good price vs purchasing across the pond.

Just spent a ‘pretty penny’ on a John Hartford’s Aereo-Plain LP today (finally, been hunting for that LP for a while)…..so didn't want to shell out the same for this one too. 

But, done, thanks, look forward to getting this in the collection as well.

• Like 1

Thanks again Steve....for the nudge. The Rough-Mix only cost me $17 shipped, so not too much of a risk. Can't wait to sit and listen to it again. It's been many many years.

The Hartford? Yea man, was one of my favs during the early-mid 70's. Love that album, and hope it is in the condition as stated.

• Like 1

I have a Disk Doctor VI (wet by hand/vacuum). Also still have my Spin Clean I use on really dirty LP's before the Disk Doctor. Didn't clean it as it was so clean, but will before the next spin. Wasn't bad at all, just a couple dust/dirt clicks. Actually surprised at that. This copy almost looks unplayed.

Sounded great steve, thanks again for another nudge.  👍

• Like 2