Sock cloth / resocking

Holmz

I am considering some resocking of a set of used speakers.

I looks like there is some evidence that the fabric/material can make a difference. https://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/06/measurements-effect-of-speaker-grills.html

Is the best to test then just by throwing some fabric over my existing speakers and have a listen?  Or maybe over just a single speaker and see if it all goes to hell and beyond?

These would be for surround speakers and WAF reasons, more than perfect sound reasoning...

Thoughts?

Are you speaking of your 2C’s?

I’m sure Richard would highly recommend replacing them with Vandy socks, which can be ordered directly from Vandersteen. As far as I know the fabric used was used specifically for the overall sonic design and performance.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:29 PM, Holmz said:

I am considering some resocking of a set of used speakers.

I looks like there is some evidence that the fabric/material can make a difference. https://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/06/measurements-effect-of-speaker-grills.html

Is the best to test then just by throwing some fabric over my existing speakers and have a listen?  Or maybe over just a single speaker and see if it all goes to hell and beyond?

These would be for surround speakers and WAF reasons, more than perfect sound reasoning...

Thoughts?

Holmz, things are not always what they seem!  Most tests with grills on vs off are measurements which do not take into account the effect of the frame that the fabric is glued/stapled to for its support.  Our light weight double knit polyester has a very small (less than 1/2 Db) effect and is very linear.  All of our design, voicing, chamber work and final QC is with the grille ON.  In our case the grille frame is an integral part of the proper baffle profile to eliminate diffraction on all but the 1,2,&3 and the fabric hides the ugly felt required to kill the diffraction between each driver.  The important thing to know is were the design parameters established with the grille on or off.  Best to use them the way the designer designed them, IMO.

RV

• Thanks 3