Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just came back from Eastern Europe and left my camera in the Czech Republic.   If anyone is going, kindly search at the Hyatt.    I just ordered my replacement ....an Olympus Pen P610.   On my first trip to Africa,  I had a Leica M6 with lots of lenses....could hardly move.  Switched to a Canon point and shoot and now with my new one, kind of in the middle.   Anyone here into photos?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a Nikon guy.

Though I am a bit p*ssed off by the new mirrorless cameras as you need an adaptor to use all the previously compatible Nikon lenses. If I upgrade my D850, it will probably be a Phase One Medium Format digital camera.

Though I probably won't as my camera phase was interrupted by my watch phase which was superseded by my Stereo phase.

Luckily, my Gardening phase hasn't been challenged, as it funds all my other phases.☺️

Bob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

 If I upgrade my D850, it will probably be a Phase One Medium Format digital camera.

Used to use my Pops Pentax, and usually TechPan 2415, or Pan-X.
The My first film camera broke at the end of the 1st roll of film. (I pretty much gave up at the that point.)
But many years later I did do 4x5 for a while.

The Capture One S/W - I believe is related to the PHASE ONE people.
Capture One is good, and I would not mind a Phase One for landscapes and architecture work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had many cameras over the years. My father game me his Argus rangefinder at a fairly young age. Lead me to building my own darkroom. That was fun, and something I kept doing through the 80’s. First 35mm SLR was a screw mount Mamiya back in the early 70’s. Nice lens on that. Then came along the Olympus OM1, and I became captivated by the small form of the Olympus, but finally switched to a workhorse Nikon F w/FTn rangefinder, motor drive, and collected a lot of glass along the way. During that time I dabbled in a few rangefinders again, and was smitten by some of the Konica rangefinder cameras, and collected a few. Fantastic lenses on those for the money. Then bought a used Rollei 35, and that baby blew me away. Loved that little camera, beautiful lens, and one of the few film cameras I still have today.

When I went digital, I switched to Canon, as I thought their digital was more analog than Nikon. Still have my first Canon digital SLR, and still works great. And the Rollie….and a couple of the Konica’s. The digital darkroom is much more convenient, but do miss the old days of developing film and going to my darkroom.

Lusted after Leica, but never purchased one. Hasselblad as well. Medium format really attracted me at one time. My cousin had a Hasselblad, and damn, loved that camera.

Today? I’m simply amazed how good the camera is in my iPhone, yet, always forget I carry a camera around with me almost always. Still think of reaching for an actual camera, not my phone. 

Edited by bkeske
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bkeske said:

Had many cameras over the years. My father game me his Argus rangefinder at a fairly young age. Lead me to building my own darkroom. That was fun, and something I kept doing through the 80’s. First 35mm SLR was a screw mount Mamiya back in the early 70’s. Nice lens on that. Then came along the Olympus OM1, and I became captivated by the small form of the Olympus, but finally switched to a workhorse Nikon F w/FTn rangefinder, motor drive, and collected a lot of glass along the way. During that time I dabbled in a few rangefinders again, and was smitten by some of the Konica rangefinder cameras, and collected a few. Fantastic lenses on those for the money. Then bought a used Rollei 35, and that baby blew me away. Loved that little camera, beautiful lens, and one of the few film cameras I still have today.

When I went digital, I switched to Canon, as I thought their digital was more analog than Nikon. Still have my first Canon digital SLR, and still works great. And the Rollie….and a couple of the Konica’s. The digital darkroom is much more convenient, but do miss the old days of developing film and going to my darkroom.

Lusted after Leica, but never purchased one. Hasselblad as well. Medium format really attracted me at one time. My cousin had a Hasselblad, and damn, loved that camera.

Today? I’m simply amazed how good the camera is in my iPhone, yet, always forget I carry a camera around with me almost always. Still think of reaching for an actual camera, not my phone. 

'''just as I thought

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have really only had 3 cameras.

  1. 35mm Point-n-shoot
  2. 4x5 field camera
  3. M8


This rest of this post is mostly BS and story telling, and it is not even close to beer-o’clock yet.
Skip now if you’re expecting useful content.


The thing I hated with many cameras was the focus and aperture delays.
It is the time/phase equivalent to a camera, where I press the button, and my the time everything happens it is too late to capture the moment.

Hence I like full manual.

 

I was at some place in Hollywood, CA and looking at cameras… Maybe B&H?”
I adjusted the setting on the top without looking through the camera  to what I though was about right… F4 and maybe 1/30th, then and then set the focus for 3-4 feet. 
I snapped the photo from the camera laying resting on the counter and slightly tilted up.

The older saleman said, “with this camera you cannot just point-n-shoot, you need to do everything.”

I handed him back the camera, and said, “Is this wrong?”
He looked and quickly said, “”You’re a natural.”

I but I usually have it set at 20’ and the exposure close so if I need it, then it is ready to fire.

 

I am exclusively handheld and no flash… especially on travel. Some shots come out blurry, but I don’t flinch much so I can stumble onto a gem occasionally.
I have a daggy 1” webbing strap and a few hello kitty covering it, so it looks like an old poxy camera.

We were in Venice maybe 10 years ago, and outside of the train station we was dodgy looking fellow, that was body communicating with some hoodlums across the street (whom we were soon to pass.) It was across the bridge from “The Getto”. (Aka from which ghetto was named after.)

I noticed through the dark sunnies that he shook his head “no”, and we passed without issue.

 

I usually bust it out for going away parties for work mates, and the Aussie fellow next to me is into Nikons.
He said, “That lens shade has seen better days, and camera has a bit of patina.”
I said, “Yeah, we were jumped in an alley, and I swung the camera like David going after Goliath, and busted the fellows head open with the sharp edge of the shade… just before we started running to escape an assault charge.”
He said, with eyebrows raise high, “Really?”
I said, “No, but it sounds like a better story, than just wear-n-tear.”

There was a fellow on another forum, maybe back in 2006ish… The fellow is a paediatrician in the Northern beaches of Sydney, and hell0fa nice guy… but I never met him in person.
We landed from Hawaii and overnighted… I think near Bondi.
The next morning we were up at the crack of dawn to take pictures at “Sculptures by the Sea,” which is art exhibit that goes up every year along a the beach path”
He mentioned he would be taking pictures there a day earlier, and I know he uses Canons.
I saw a fellow pull up in an Audi or something flash, and sporting some white lenses with red rings.
(And thought, that fellow looks like he may be an Alvin.)
He went to the other end of the path and 10 minutes later were were crossing paths at some stairs.
As he was coming up, I said, “Do you live around here, or up north of Sydney?”
He said, “Holmz?”
And I said, “Alvin?”
We talked for a minute and later the Mrs said, “WTF was that? How can two people who have never met, just know each other from random forum posts? ”
I said, “He looked like a doctor.”

He has a side business to travel and take photos… which is a bit of a clever way to have business expenses.
https://www.lightandmotionphotography.com.au/section467041.html

Not that it was possible for him to gain more status points… but he did call the ambos after a big group bike ride, to the protest of one of the fellows…
And that guy’s heart attack was caught in time.

As they say here…, “That guy makes it hard not to like him.”


If we were at some convention and you a fellow with a daggy looking (camouflaged) camera, you would likely also think… “I bet I know who this bloke is.”

 

The whole managing the digital library is about as much fun as digital audio libraries.
But it is nice to look back on photos.

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still have my 4x5 cameras, hoping that they will make a digital back for them someday...

And, I do use Capture One software, though I don't process much these days. I think it better than Photoshop, plus you get to own the software instead of renting it.

Though I use Lightroom Classic for a digital library and basic editing.

B

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I still have my 4x5 cameras, hoping that they will make a digital back for them someday...

And, I do use Capture One software, though I don't process much these days. I think it better than Photoshop, plus you get to own the software instead of renting it.

Though I use Lightroom Classic for a digital library and basic editing.

B

I have used Capture One in the past, and agree, it’s a very interesting software. I should open it up and play with it again. I shoot everything in RAW, and do remember it having a very nice RAW tool/converter.

As I use my camera so much for business these days, and thus more a business tool vs ‘fun’, I have gotten in the habit of using Photoshop, as it is a business expense, thus default to it most the time.

Thanks for the reminder though, I always liked some of the filters Capture One offered, and done very nicely and intuitive as I remember.

Edited by bkeske
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...