What are you listening to?

Oregon

3 hours ago, Steve Edwards said:

Brian, I'm a big fan of it as well.  That and American Beauty.  While most Dead Heads prefer their live records, I think the studio material was excellent in its own right.  What I seldom (if ever) hear discussed is the quality of vocal harmony that Jerry and Bob laid down.  They're not Lennon & McCartney, but IMHO, very good, particularly on the two aforementioned records.  

Agree on all counts Steve. Of course I like American Beauty too, no doubt. And yea, Jerry and Bobby were no slouches when singing together. But, to this day, Jerry was and is one of my favorite’s all time, bar none.  He still hits me very deep in the ol soul. Big connection, and painful when he died.

BTW, good to see ya around 👍🏼

18 hours ago, Steve Edwards said:

While most Dead Heads prefer their live records, I think the studio material was excellent in its own right.  What I seldom (if ever) hear discussed is the quality of vocal harmony that Jerry and Bob laid down.  They're not Lennon & McCartney, but IMHO, very good, particularly on the two aforementioned records.  

+1 on all these points.  I will add that I was one of those Dead fans listening exclusively to live recordings- in the car, on my home stereo tape deck, and (during wayward years 😜) on an ipod speaker and then bluetooth speaker.  When I "found myself" and came back to 2 channel audio and vinyl, it was a great joy.  One of the more surprising elements to me was that as my resolution got higher, the live recordings often sounded flat and dull, while the studio recording had the excitement and sparkle of a live show.  That led to a rediscovery of the Dead's studio catalog and a general preference for studio recordings. 

As for GD vocals, agree that the harmonies were underappreciated.  I would also say that Jerry's vocal tone, thin and piercing, earnest and teeming with emotional content is a bit underappreciated as well.  Exhibit A: China Doll (on From the Mars Hotel)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jackstraw75 said:

Speaking of studios…..👌👌

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

Have all those single LP’s. Was that an RSD release?

Also, His (his family released) box set recorded at the Warfield is absolutely incredible.  I bought the cassette collection way back in the late 80’s??? Maybe early 90’s, but the vinyl box released a few years back is superb. Some of the best Jerry guitar playing I have ever heard recorded.  

Jerry_Garcia_Band_Box.jpg

Edited by bkeske
  • Like 1

Returned from a couple months off nursing my new shoulder back to life. Good to be back!!

Picked up this much underrated album from my local record dealer yesterday. Phenomenal pressing mastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering. Neil has always been one of my favorite singer songwriters.

IMG_6872.jpeg

• Like 2

Sadly, you missed them when they were at their peak.  At least for me.  I never was a Dead Head, but I did see them a number of times in the early 70's.  By the late 70's, Garcia had so many medical and, ahh, chemical problems that he'd forget lyrics and even kinda fall asleep right there leaning on the microphone stand.

It's a disease, so I won't say anything bad about him.  But, it's still sad.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BKDad said:

Sadly, you missed them when they were at their peak.  At least for me.  I never was a Dead Head, but I did see them a number of times in the early 70's.  By the late 70's, Garcia had so many medical and, ahh, chemical problems that he'd forget lyrics and even kinda fall asleep right there leaning on the microphone stand.

It's a disease, so I won't say anything bad about him.  But, it's still sad.

He did roar back many many times through it and well into the early 90’s. But yea, 70-73 woulda been phenomenal! 

On 7/16/2024 at 5:04 PM, JackStraw said:

My first show(s) as a spry young teen👌👌

@JackStraw  Did you live around Denver back then?  I live in Colorado and used to love Red Rocks. I would love to go back but way too expensive these days.  BTW, I've seen the Dead many times back then and I personally think 1977 was about their peak (when Jerry was sober enough to play well). 

I’m from Iowa. I did make it to Red Rocks 8 times from these shows through 84 or 86. Lived in Tempe and made the drive a few times to RR’s👍

Planning on taking my wife soon for a show by someone. She’s never been and it’s special for sure. 

21 hours ago, TomicTime said:

What a great combo IMO, i’ve been blessed to hear them both live in 300 person venues…but not together…. a dream / goal….

6B7F5358-5755-464C-846C-AB2E7DFACCB7.jpeg

Man Jim!  I’ve never heard this before and it’s fantastic! I’m using Qobuz and will now look for vinyl 👌