What are you listening to?

Oregon

Breaking into one of my Solti boxes for the evening….These are really great sets by DECCA. You can tell I’ve had this for a while with my ol 2CE Sigs in the background 🙂

Solti Edition Vol. 6

Sides 11-13
Brahms 

• Ein Deutsches Requiem

Chicago Symphony Orchestra 
Chicago Symphony Chorus
Bernd Weikl bass
Kiri Te Kanawa soprano 

Side 15-16
Stravinsky 

• Oedipus Rex

London Philharmonic Orchestra 
John Alldis Choir
Alec McCowen
Benjamin Luxon baritone 
Donald McIntyre & Stafford Dean bass
Meyer mezzo-soprano 
Peter Pears & Ryland Davies tenor 

DECCA 18 LP box, 1981. German release

Solti_Edition_Vol_6_Box.jpg

• Like 3

As I mentioned back in December, I received this excellent one-step LP for Christmas. Beautifully produced with great clarity and a wide soundstage. I enjoy female vocalists and this is one of my very best!

Clair Marlo, Let it Go,  Brilliance Music & Studios/Hyper Analogue, BMS-011-45, 2 LP One-Step, 45 RPM

IMG_1231.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/9/2024 at 8:05 PM, bkeske said:

Breaking into one of my Solti boxes for the evening….These are really great sets by DECCA. You can tell I’ve had this for a while with my ol 2CE Sigs in the background

Love Georg Solti’s work with the Chicago Symphony. I seriously need to acquire some additional selections. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JackStraw said:

Jorma at his pickin finest on this version of Walkin Blues👌👌

IMG_7808.jpeg

Saw him perform in Easton Md. at The Avalon Theater late in 2023. Still touring at 83! Sounded great.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gsal said:

Saw him perform in Easton Md. at The Avalon Theater late in 2023. Still touring at 83! Sounded great.

Amazing what he’s accomplishing at the young ole age of 83…between him and Bob Weir (at 76), that’s well over 100 years of playing live music (noting both were playing live by the time they were 18/19 years old)👌👌

• Like 2

My first “contact” with him (actually his manager) was a bit dubious….in 1982 at the ripe ole age of 17, my buddy (who was a “taper”) and I drove to the Maintenance Shop in Ames Iowa to see Jorma.  Buddy had a small recorder and was recording show (probably 50 people in attendance), and somehow Jorma’s manager saw him at our table and literally smashed his recorder on the spot.  He let us stay (we were kids, right🥴) for the entire show, and introduced us to Jorma after….turned out to be a very memorable evening 👌

Edited by JackStraw
Add year
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TomicTime said:

CSN….. just awareness… this lays the whole enchilada BARE…. splices / cuts / studio trickery / ????? …. but when it is MAGIC…. wow…

17A51AAD-2015-4B82-9EB8-96C55DC0E34C.jpeg

Jim,

What has been your experience with these MoFi One Steps?  To me, they all (I think I have 4) sound a little artificial in the “sparkle” that comes across.  They sound impressive and detailed and …different but I’m not sure how natural they sound.  I just received the new Analog Productions Atlantic 75th series 45 rpm version of this album so I will do a comparison between this and the new one and report back. 

10 hours ago, Delkat said:

Jim,

What has been your experience with these MoFi One Steps?  To me, they all (I think I have 4) sound a little artificial in the “sparkle” that comes across.  They sound impressive and detailed and …different but I’m not sure how natural they sound.  I just received the new Analog Productions Atlantic 75th series 45 rpm version of this album so I will do a comparison between this and the new one and report back. 

Todd - Thanks so much in advance for your compassion - i actually don’t have a lot of One-Step and don’t have a great OP of the subject album. My sense, and i believe @sbank might agree that w MoFi at least this particular album may have reached beyond the tape…. ? i am of course curious on your sonic thoughts about the AP version.

Best to you

Jim

2 hours ago, TomicTime said:

RIP….

Saw Cohen in about 1974, when he was touring to promote "New Skin for the Old Ceremony," at a little club in Denver's Larimer Square called Ebbets Field. He had a small band and two or three women backup singers. When he explained before playing it that "Chelsea Hotel #2" was about Janis Joplin, it made you feel special for being there.

🎶And I remember you well in Chelsea Hotel
You were famous, your heart was a legend
You told me again you preferred handsome men
But for me, you would make an exception

And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind
We are ugly but we have the music."🎶

Like every subsequent performance I've seen him give on teevee, he was totally professional, prepared and competent.  

He described himself at that show as "the man who depressed two generations," but I'm sure there're more than two now. How'd you like to have been a fly on the dock railing wherever this was taken?

JM and LC.jpg

Edited by John Gallup
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A new arrival today.

A new recent discovery. A really good composer….need more of her work. Highly recommended.

Vernon Handley conducts Elizabeth Maconchy

• Serenata Concertante For Violin & Orchestra
  • Symphony For Double String Orchestra

London Symphony Orchestra w/Manoug Parikian violin
Lyrita Recorded Edition 1982

Elizabeth_Maconchy_Symphonies.jpg

• Like 1

The latest Impex 1-Step is Patricia Barber’s great live album “Companion.” I have all 5 Impex 1-Steps and they are all masterpieces. Once again Bernie Grundman did the mastering resulting in some great sonics and a “you are there” layout of instruments and voice. Dead quiet background. Great test for my Umami Blue and the 3A Sigs have never sounded better! Impex has got this one-step process figured out and does it better than anyone.

Patricia Barber, “Companion,” Impex 1-Step, IMP 6053-1, 2 LP, 45 RPM.

IMG_0798.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

image.png.c214571fd5bff9558d2cbfd0c8ff37ce.png

In memory of Dickey Betts who passed away recently.  

For years - OK, decades - my main chase in home audio reproduction was to be able to play In Memory of Elizabeth Reed so that it sounded plausible.  Eventually, I realized that no matter what system or car radio I played the song on, I cried just the same.  There's a lesson there.  You don't get that from studio recordings.  At least, I do not.

(Side note: Another pursuit has been to try to recreate Tommy as I remember it performed live way back.  Yesterday was the 55th anniversary of the first live performance.  I missed that one, but a couple years later I heard first hand why so many adults were terrified of rock and roll music...)

• Like 5

Just watched a new PBS broadcast:  The Swing Jazz of Eddie Durham.  A nice listen to some great swing and very informative. I had no idea how much he shaped all those classic 1930s bands with his arrangements, and written from a guitarists perspective. Well worth the listen/watch.

Bruce

• Like 1

One-Step release by a very under appreciated singer, Lyn Stanley. Quiet vinyl that really shows off the one-step process. Quiet vinyl and great sonics that show off her silky smooth vocals.

Lyn Stanley, Moonlight Sessions Volume 1, A.T. Music LLC #3105, 2LP, 45 RPM, One-Step Process Mastered by Bernie Grundman. 

IMG_1234.jpeg