What are you listening to?

Oregon

1 hour ago, Bruskie said:

@bkeske  Is that Junkies album on vinyl?

@John Gallup  Is that Natalie album vinyl?

Bruce,

Junkies…..Yes, the newest is on vinyl. I also have Trinity Sessions, Caution Horses, Pale Sun, and Black Eyed Man on vinyl as well.

Natalie stuff is harder to find on vinyl, but her latest releases have been. I really want  House Carpenters Daughter on vinyl….bad 😁

Brian

Edited by bkeske

7 hours ago, Bruskie said:

I have all those on v vinyl too Brian. How is the sound quality of that Nonesuch pressing of  Such Ferocious Beauty?

I have no complaints Bruce, it’s pretty good and a quiet pressing (at least mine is, but you know how that goes). I’m more familiar with Nonesuch on classical LP releases, some pretty early, and they never disappoint overall.

Brian

Edited by bkeske

@bkeske

Thanks Brian. Went to the Junkies website and I found Lay it Down, and an archival release called Sharon recorded in 89 using the same single-microphone style as in The Trinity Session. Both in vinyl

• Thanks 1

@Bruskie I’ve streamed Sharon….. will have to revisit… i have the AS 45 rpm Trinity Revisited and it is stunning….. great mystery about what is in the ambisonic array box…… ha

IF you get Sharon on LP, i am keen to hear your impressions…..

• Like 1

An exquisitely sweet sounding recording from a 1956 Stuttgart radio  broadcast on the SWR Music label . It is her only recording of a Mozart Concerto to have survived.

Bruce

IMG_6587.jpeg

• Like 2

@John Gallup  I have had 3 copies of Undercurrent and all  of them had a very low rumble on side 2 (I believe). I really like both Evans and Hall and they do play instinctively with each other.  But that rumble is so distracting. Are you playing a vinyl disc John? Does it have that rumble?

On 3/9/2024 at 10:20 AM, John Gallup said:

near-telephathic improvisation

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 9:31 PM, Bruskie said:

@John Gallup  I have had 3 copies of Undercurrent and all  of them had a very low rumble on side 2 (I believe). I really like both Evans and Hall and they do play instinctively with each other.  But that rumble is so distracting. Are you playing a vinyl disc John? Does it have that rumble?

Listening to side 2 now; the record is re-issue, I think, with the code PPQN UAJS 15003. A "production note" says:

"The original master tapes do contain some distortion and tape hiss. This has been kept to a minimum on the vinyl masters for this issue. This is a recording problem, not a vinyl issue. Mastered by Ron McMaster [good name!] at Capitol Mastering."

If there's tape hiss, it's not as loud as my tinnitus. But the overall sound quality is a little choked, or something. Hall's guitar tone is usually less electric than it sounds here.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2024 at 12:20 PM, John Gallup said:

I'm always delighted by the near-telephathic improvisation between Jim Hall and Bill Evans

I am always astounded by the same improv in the Art Tatum and Lionel Hampton in the AT Group Masterpieces v. 4. Love for Sale Concepts are amazing.

Bob

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

I am always astounded by the same improv in the Art Tatum and Lionel Hampton in the AT Group Masterpieces v. 4. Love for Sale Concepts are amazing.

Bob

Found it on Tidal/Roon. Ordinarily I'd say I find Tatum's flashy runs a bit show-offy, and the vibraphone limited in dynamic range. But, wow, that is astonishing. So much imagination! Thanks for the reference.